Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

Default Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

This story is extra interesting, since Oklahoma Publishing Company is associated with it.
    https://gazette.com/news/manitou-spr...9d7a20bec.html

2. Default Re: Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

That's a weird way to report the ownership. Instead of using the Denver parent owners as the main owner topic, im curious why they chose to use the Oklahoman. It even says the Okalhoman, the hotel, and the railway are owned by the Denver paper group. That would make a lot more sense to residents near there than an Oklahoma company. Just sort of some weird reporting there.

3. Default Re: Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

^^^^^^^
    It’s probably because The Broadmoor was owned by The Oklahoma Publishing Company and the Gaylord family for years. They still loom large over the culture there, perhaps even larger than in OKC. Anschutz ownership is still a minor blip in the timeline as far as that city is concerned.

By the way I heard at the time of the Anschutz/OPUBCO purchase that the main reason Anshcutz purchased OPUBCO was to get ownership of The Broodmoor and associated Colorado Springs assets.

By the way, Colorado Springs is an odd place. They are clearly very much in the tourism business - in fact I’d wager it is their number one industry - but their residents seem to be completely unaware of it, and of the money it brings to their community. In fact many of them (even those in the industry) exhibit thinly-veiled contempt for tourists. If you could just collect a nickel for every time someone spits the word “flatlander” at money-spending out-of-state visitors you could probably pay for a new railway.

Edit: haha not nearly as long as I’d thought, but they had an interest for many years before gaining controlling interest and were prominent in the city for generations

Default Re: Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

I lived in Colorado Springs for a short time in the late 70's. Let's just say I was on a "hitch hiking tour" of the southwest. I was always amazed at the "Tourist Go Home!" stickers on people's vehicles. Even as an 18 year old pot head, I could see Tourism was their main attraction!

Default Re: Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

Former Detective Joe Kenda worked in Colorado Springs. It was a hotbed of crime back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Former Detective Joe Kenda worked in Colorado Springs. It was a hotbed of crime back in the day.
    Should I know him?

Quote Originally Posted by Head View Post
    Should I know him?
    No . . . but he has a fairly interesting show on Investigation Discovery channel. He's sort of like a real life Joe Friday.

btw: I spent my formative years (1954--1973) in Boulder, Co. I still remember the sign as one entered Lyons on the way to Estes Park: "Lyons, Colorado. A Nice Place to Visit But Don't Unpack."

8. Default Re: Pikes Peak Cog Railway $75-95 Million Dollar Rebuild Deal Subject to Lawsuit

^^^^^^^
    Yeah, at least Boulder wants you do visit. In Colorado Springs the sign would say "keep going." The people there seem blissfully unaware that other than some tech, the Air Force Academy and the U.S. Olympic Training Center (the last two are attractions in their own right) pretty much every man, woman and child in Colorado Springs is financially dependent on tourism in some way.

It's not uncommon - in fact it is specifically common - for citizens in a place to under-appreciate how much tourism their city attracts and the effect it has on their economy. But in Colorado Springs they seem to be especially detached from reality.

Thread Information