Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaza District Parking

Plaza District Plaza District Parking

Is there a back story here or was it just a shady move? https://newsok.com/article/5604988/p...rlyAccess=true

Default Re: Plaza District Parking

I don't know, but lack of parking is the main reason I don't go to Plaza anymore. Coming in a close second is the absurd wait times at Empire, Goru, and The Mule.

I've never had trouble finding parking unless there is a special event going on..

The "lack of parking" is that people don't want to park 1/2/3 blocks away and walk.....I've never had trouble parking in the neighborhood and just walking to the district.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    The "lack of parking" is that people don't want to park 1/2/3 blocks away and walk.....I've never had trouble parking in the neighborhood and just walking to the district.
    That's exactly right. "Lack of parking" almost always equals "I want front door parking and don't want to walk a minimal amount." I've gone to the Plaza multiple times on super busy nights and have never had trouble finding parking as long as I was willing to walk 1 or 2 blocks.

As it pertains to the story linked above, I hope the Strubles aren't turning into the Plaza counterparts of Bricktown surface parking lot money grabbers. They've done a lot for the development of the Plaza, but they sure have been focused recently on securing paid parking income. My concern is not necessarily paid parking, but the resulting hesitancy to develop paid parking lots into a higher use.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    I have no problem with walking, I just don't like parking on neighborhood streets in front of houses, especially when I am not visiting said house. I prefer to park in a lot or spaces for the businesses in the district. My wife and I will usually park over by Clarity Coffee just to walk to Bricktown since it is easier to find an open spot and I don't have to deal with tight traffic.

Also, I hate having to pay to park when there are no other good alternatives to getting to places. If we had a good network of bus/streetcar/train transport that ensured me I had a way back to wherever I parked, then I would see why there would be paid parking at the destination.

My post was mainly going to the issue of them buying this strip of parking in the middle of Lyric's parking lot. If I am reading the story right....they paid $30 k for it and offered it to Lyric for $485k.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    My post was mainly going to the issue of them buying this strip of parking in the middle of Lyric's parking lot. If I am reading the story right....they paid $30 k for it and offered it to Lyric for $485k.
    I can't read all of the story due to the paywall, but that seems a bit ridiculous.

I love parking one or two blocks away in Gatewood and walking. I've been doing it for 8 years whenever I visit the Plaza District. It's second nature and well worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    That's correct. Struble bought it from the owner for $30,000 and then offered it to Lyric for $485,000 when Lyric inquired about purchasing it to continue using it for their operations. For context, the owner of the parking lot died, so his family was the one who sold it to Struble and, allegedly, no one else knew it was up for sale. Had Lyric known it was for sale, they likely would have purchased it. One of the Plaza merchants in the story says he believes it was offered to Struble because that was the only contact the family had from when Struble led the Plaza's association many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    That's correct. Struble bought it from the owner for $30,000 and then offered it to Lyric for $485,000 when Lyric inquired about purchasing it to continue using it for their operations. For context, the owner of the parking lot died, so his family was the one who sold it to Struble and, allegedly, no one else knew it was up for sale. Had Lyric known it was for sale, they likely would have purchased it. One of the Plaza merchants in the story says he believes it was offered to Struble because that was the only contact the family had from when Struble led the Plaza's association many years ago.
    That's just bizarre - why wouldn't the owner's family ask the Lyric (literally right next door to the lot and who owns the rest of the lot)? Just seems like a totally obvious thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I have no problem with walking, I just don't like parking on neighborhood streets in front of houses, especially when I am not visiting said house. I prefer to park in a lot or spaces for the businesses in the district.
    Can I ask, why? Is it the perception in your mind that the residents own the public street? Honestly curious.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That's just bizarre - why wouldn't the owner's family ask the Lyric (literally right next door to the lot and who owns the rest of the lot)? Just seems like a totally obvious thing to do.
    The article implied they only knew of Struble. Perhaps they aren't local or they aren't well aware of the Plaza constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Can I ask, why? Is it the perception in your mind that the residents own the public street? Honestly curious.
    No, it's not that I think they own that space or have first rights to it. I just feel out of place parking in front of someone's house that I don't know and then walking a block or two away. I am not sure why I have this feeling around the Plaza district, when I don't have a problem parking anywhere in Downtown. It is difficult to explain through typing.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The article implied they only knew of Struble. Perhaps they aren't local or they aren't well aware of the Plaza constituents.
    Still seems weird. If it was me and I wasn't local or only knew of one guy that I had contact with a long time ago, I'd use google maps to see things and investigate, but maybe they just wanted to get rid of it quickly and didn't care about anything else, but now it's created a completely stupid situation...

Blog Entries

If he eventually puts a 2-3 story retail store fronts up against the sidewalk with a 4-5 story garage in the back (2 under ground, 2-3 above ground, completely hidden by the store fronts) it will be totally worth it. If not, jury is out.

Is the parking lot built across three "lots"?

How is it they were able to sell the middle rows, that is just strange?

Sorry if this is in the article, I don't have membership.

Regarding parking on the street in front of homes, I'm with PaddyShack. I know it's perfectly legal, but I'm still not particularly comfortable doing it. At least I'm not out in the street screaming at people and egging their cars like the crazy in Nichols Hills did a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Regarding parking on the street in front of homes, I'm with PaddyShack. I know it's perfectly legal, but I'm still not particularly comfortable doing it. At least I'm not out in the street screaming at people and egging their cars like the crazy in Nichols Hills did a while back.
    I just try to park in front of a recently updated house. Many of them are owned by builders/flippers and so you wouldn’t necessarily be encroaching upon residents in those cases.

No one goes to the Plaza anymore, you can never find a parking spot!

I see what you did there ^^^^^^

Uber ya bums

23. Default Re: Plaza District Parking

In the book The High Cost of Free Parking, the author Donald Shoup outlines an idea called a "Parking Benefit District." This type of paid parking arrangement can be put in place for any residential area around a popular entertainment destination where a lot of outside visitors park on the nearby neighborhood streets. In OKC, possible areas for this might include around the Plaza District or Uptown 23rd. Basically, the city puts metered parking in the neighborhoods for non-residents to use. The money from parking goes NOT to the city, but to that specific neighborhood for beautification or similar improvement projects. This concept, while not a slam-dunk solution, still seems like an interesting approach that might be workable in parts of OKC. You can read more here: Parking Benefit Districts Around Us.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    No, it's not that I think they own that space or have first rights to it. I just feel out of place parking in front of someone's house that I don't know and then walking a block or two away. I am not sure why I have this feeling around the Plaza district, when I don't have a problem parking anywhere in Downtown. It is difficult to explain through typing.
    I mean - ok - but my wife and I bought in Gatewood knowing full well that there would be street parkers. We're very close to the Plaza which was one of the major attractions of our house. Honestly though we've been surprised at how few people park on our street. Incredible that people are just too lazy to walk a block! It's unreal. I'd pay an arm and a leg for such plentiful street parking in Chicago. But suit yourself. Everywhere in the Plaza is so busy these days that the "lack of parking" sure isn't hurting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by geographer View Post
    the "lack of parking" is that people don't want to park 1/2/3 blocks away and walk.....i've never had trouble parking in the neighborhood and just walking to the district.
    exactly.

Thread Information