Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valkyrie Aerospace Systems

Default Valkyrie Aerospace Systems

This is pretty cool for OKC! 350 jobs in a non O&G capacity.

https://newsok.com/article/5604691/a...ob-to-okc-area

Default Re: Valkyrie Aerospace Systems

I feel like I've seen something about this before. None the less, excellent news

"The University of Oklahoma's aviation and aerospace engineering program, as well as Oklahoma State University's autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles program factored into the company's decision to locate in Oklahoma."

Low taxes are good, but must have a robust education system as well.

I may be misremembering things, but I recall a poster mentioning that OKC needed to highlight OU and OSU's ties to aerospace engineering more as a ploy to get out of state jobs/companies to move here. (Think the thread might have been the Global Payments one and some people were mad that it wasn't "out of state" like they thought it was)

Anyway, it's cool to see that those connections were indeed a factor in creating jobs.

Where are the from? Their website doesn't have much about them.

https://www.valkyrieuav.com/

HQ in Reno NV, but long term we might be able to steal the HQ.

It would be cool to see more of these types of businesses along the west side of the Westheimer Airport in Norman, or along the north side of Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    It would be cool to see more of these types of businesses along the west side of the Westheimer Airport in Norman, or along the north side of Robinson.
    kind of what i thought to. where when the showed some plans awhile back for UNP they kept showing that some of the business builds could have airport access.. this would be cool to see there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    "The University of Oklahoma's aviation and aerospace engineering program, as well as Oklahoma State University's autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles program factored into the company's decision to locate in Oklahoma."

Low taxes are good, but must have a robust education system as well.
    This shows why we need to quit defunding higher ed in OK. And why it’s important for OU’s academic standing to keep rising, and for OSU to boost theirs.

HangryHippo Guest

Will these positions likely be near the OKC airport or where would something like this go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This shows why we need to quit defunding higher ed in OK. And why it’s important for OU’s academic standing to keep rising, and for OSU to boost theirs.
    Osu just poured a billion dollars into it , with cash not debt, I think we’re good.

Edit for reference: https://osugiving.com/your-impact/ca...anding-success

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Will these positions likely be near the OKC airport or where would something like this go?
    I’m 99% sure it will be out by Boeing at tinker. Company is heavily geared towards defense

13. Default Re: Valkyrie Aerospace Systems

Osu just poured a billion dollars into it , with cash not debt, I think we’re good.

Edit for reference: https://osugiving.com/your-impact/ca...anding-success
    US News ranked OSU ranked 156th in the National Universities category for 2018. OU was 97th and Tulsa was 87th. I'm not sure why you would be "good" with that.

^^^
    FYI: Criteria for these rankings don’t reflect educational quality and are gamed by universities.

Oklahoma’s rapid defunding of higher ed alone should be all the information that’s needed on the state of each university right now.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    US News ranked OSU ranked 156th in the National Universities category for 2018. OU was 97th and Tulsa was 87th. I'm not sure why you would be "good" with that.
    Because there’s going to be a lag from the investment time to seeing a rise in rankings. But osu has made the investment and a massive one at that.

Dankrutka is right. The bigger issue is the state gov cutting funding so much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    We’ve been satisfied with mediocrity forever in this state ... except for sports.

Blog Entries

Because there’s going to be a lag from the investment time to seeing a rise in rankings. But osu has made the investment and a massive one atthat.
    Sorry, but their funding has gone to athletic facilities, parking facilities, apartment buildings, some classrooms. Their teaching endowments lag. Their commitment to research lags. They haven’t had the same commitment to academics as they have sports.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    ^^^
    FYI: Criteria for these rankings don’t reflect educational quality and are gamed by universities.
    That’s an automatic response for scoring low.

Blog Entries

BTW, OU has the 61st largest endowment fund in the US at $1.65 Billion. Tulsa is #97 at about $1 Billion. OSU needs to step it up as they don’t show up in the top 100. They are at $527 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sorry, but their funding has gone to athletic facilities, parking facilities, apartment buildings, some classrooms. Their teaching endowments lag. Their commitment to research lags. They haven’t had the same commitment to academics as they have sports.
    Minus the fact, none of it went to sports. Don’t be spreading fake news.

Student Support: Goal-$500 million; Final-$594.8 million
    1,180 new scholarship funds were established, bringing the total to 2,694, many of which support multiple annual recipients

Faculty Support: Goal-$200 million; Final-$188.2 million
    146 new endowed chairs and professorships were created, increasing the total number of endowed faculty positions at OSU to 306

Facility Support: Goal-$200 million; Final-$293 million
    Building, remodeling and equipping facilities is providing better environments for teaching, learning and researching with an emphasis on enhancing the student experience

Program Support: Goal-$100 million; Final-$125.7 million
    Investments in academic excellence have created innovative, interdisciplinary programs that make the most of OSU's considerable strengths

You should get hit with a temp ban for saying something that is obviously false and easily disproved.

OSU's endowment was near $1 billion in the middle of 2016. I assume it has gone up in the past 2 years.

Tracking endowment totals seems kind of tough as numbers fluctuate. I've seen $930 million all the way up to $1.3 billion for OSU. Stop spreading misinformation.

http://www.pionline.com/article/2017...-its-benchmark

Minus the fact, none of it went to sports. Don’t be spreading fake news.

Student Support: Goal-$500 million; Final-$594.8 million
    1,180 new scholarship funds were established, bringing the total to 2,694, many of which support multiple annual recipients

Faculty Support: Goal-$200 million; Final-$188.2 million
    146 new endowed chairs and professorships were created, increasing the total number of endowed faculty positions at OSU to 306

Facility Support: Goal-$200 million; Final-$293 million
    Building, remodeling and equipping facilities is providing better environments for teaching, learning and researching with an emphasis on enhancing the student experience

Program Support: Goal-$100 million; Final-$125.7 million
    Investments in academic excellence have created innovative, interdisciplinary programs that make the most of OSU's considerable strengths

You should get hit with a temp ban for saying something that is obviously false and easily disproved.
    OSU's athletic department receives state funding. OU is self-sustaining, and receives no state funding. That may be what he meant. And by that, I mean that OSU directs funds to the athletic department. Maybe not facilities, but the athletic department as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    OSU's athletic department receives state funding. OU is self-sustaining, and receives no state funding. That may be what he meant. And by that, I mean that OSU directs funds to the athletic department. Maybe not facilities, but the athletic department as a whole.
    They receive $5,000,000 a year through a student fee, that might be what he’s reffering too. His original post says that brand success benefitted athletics. It did not.

To say that even a penny of branding success went to the athletic side is demonstrably false. The entire fundraising campaign was based on the categories I laid out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    OSU's endowment was near $1 billion in the middle of 2016. I assume it has gone up in the past 2 years.

Tracking endowment totals seems kind of tough as numbers fluctuate. I've seen $930 million all the way up to $1.3 billion for OSU. Stop spreading misinformation.

http://www.pionline.com/article/2017...-its-benchmark
    I looked it up. Maybe it was bad info or not updated. But on the 2017 tracking of top 100 endowed schools, OSU was not listed. U of Tulsa made it at just over a Billion, so OSU is somewhere below that.

OSU also has over $2 Billion in outstanding revenue bonds according to their financial reporting.

I didn’t mean to turn this into an OSU vs OU thread, but to say that they need to continue to step up their game. OU has, but I have concerns with the New President’s focus on business, not academics. OU has been raising money for a long time with an emphasis on improving academics. If the flagship schools excell then we will get more of these kinds of move-is.

They receive $5,000,000 a year through a student fee, that might be what he’s reffering too. His original post says that brand success benefitted athletics. It did not.

To say that even a penny of branding success went to the athletic side is demonstrably false. The entire fundraising campaign was based on the categories I laid out.
    Osu does have that student fee of 3.6 mil (OU does not). But they also have been receiveing money from the university budget

Almost 5 mil last year.

BUT according to USA today athletic dept fiancé database Osu did not receive money in 2017. I hope that continues

Thread Information