Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy restaurants

Default Noisy restaurants

Couldn't find a thread on this, thought it'd be interesting to have one, so as the title says, it's about noisy restaurants that are OTT and too loud to eat/converse comfortably in.

Viceroy Grille was mentioned, but they're changing into Cafe Cuvee and will have improved sound when they're open again.

Default Re: Noisy restaurants

made me think of this article from awhile back

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/18/171685...-loud-decibels

My wife and I had gone to Syrup a few weeks ago and it seemed rather loud from patrons conversing to the music being played a bit loud. Not sure if it was a fluke on that day or if it is a consistent issue. We only have been the one time.

FYI, I don't think the Viceroy Grill was ever too loud, it's just the loud discussion started in that thread because there was talk of their renovation and new sound system. Viceroy had carpeting and was almost too quiet IMO.

Noise is a big problem almost everywhere because there are nothing but hard surfaces in newish construction: concrete or tile floors, leather or vinyl furniture, no drapes and very little fabric to be found anywhere. And of course, accoustic tile ceilings are way out of design favor.

Some places will suspend accoustic panels from the ceiling and it makes a huge difference. Slaughter's Hall / Besos de Mezcal is a good example and it always sounds pretty good in there, even when busy. But they had the advantage of very high ceilings.

If you've been to Bar Arbolada when they are even slightly busy you'll experience an example of lots of noise bouncing around the space. Can be very hard to have a discussion in there.

Usually, sound is a complete afterthought and only after someone has operated a restaurant or bar or two do they understand how important it is. Same with lighting but lighting is much easier to fix after the fact.

Bar Arbolada is so loud I felt as if my ears would start bleeding. It was such an unpleasant experience, I left my appointment early. Our company has completed sound attenuation at several restaurants and dialed it in. I understand the desire for vibrancy, but there is a easily a point where the experience is diminished due to poor acoustics.

Louie's. Any Louie's, but especially Lakeside (inside). Hardest restaurant to have a conversation in I can think of

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	627CED4E-2F64-4E5E-A8C8-75CACA9693B0.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	14816

Had lunch at Pei Wei today, and between the acoustics, amplified music and crowd noise it was too much. I opened an app which showed dB in the 80s to 90s - too much!

Louies Lakeside and Chick n Beer are the first to come to mind when reading this topic.

Red Rock Canyon is loud IMO.

I guess there's and advantage to being half deaf.

Seriously, yes, retail places of all types have a problem accomidating thier environment for thier customers. If cold outside, customers are going to come in in wearing heavy clothing and coats. Sorry, suck it up and keep the temp down. The opposite is true in the summer. Manage the music. It's not there for you, it's for the customer. Except if you're playing Genesis. That was always a magic retail money maker for me.

With the open kitchen, concrete floors, and brick walls, I think the ground floor of Halls is loud and echoes too much. Empire is also very loud inside.

12. Default Re: Noisy restaurants

Cultivar.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    With the open kitchen, concrete floors, and brick walls, I think the ground floor of Halls is loud and echoes too much. Empire is also very loud inside.
    Empire's loud even outside on the sidewalk (due to their patio).

+1 for chickin beer

All restaurants are loud (unless there is nobody in them). maybe we should start a thread called "What restaurants are not loud"

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    All restaurants are loud (unless there is nobody in them). maybe we should start a thread called "What restaurants are not loud"
    Not loud restaurants:
    (1) Paseo Grill
    (2) ???

Red Prime is a very tranquil setting with a good sound system.

The O Bar at the Ambassador Hotel is not crazy loud as even though they have low-ish hard ceilings, the space is carpeted.

When conversation is a priority, R&J is often my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Red Prime is a very tranquil setting with a good sound system.

The O Bar at the Ambassador Hotel is not crazy loud as even though they have low-ish hard ceilings, the space is carpeted.

When conversation is a priority, R&J is often my choice.
    I have always wanted to try R&J's. My understanding is that it is very small, so not a lot of room for noise... ha, but I heard they have good food and a great atmosphere.

I have always wanted to try R&J's. My understanding is that it is very small, so not a lot of room for noise... ha, but I heard they have good food and a great atmosphere.
    Only holds about 30 people inside, and the food is great since it's by the Ludivine folks, atmosphere is definitely old-school 70s-ish cool, service has been iffy when we've been there and it's been busy, though.

20. Default Re: Noisy restaurants

I haven't been since they stopped lunch service but the food was always good. I loved the beef stroganoff.

They also have a pretty decent patio area too.

Done ==>>> http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44447

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I haven't been since they stopped lunch service but the food was always good. I loved the beef stroganoff.

They also have a pretty decent patio area too.
    I have a question about this. Beef stroganoff was my first dish at R & J. What should I be looking for in a good beef stroganoff?

23. Default Re: Noisy restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I have a question about this. Beef stroganoff was my first dish at R & J. What should I be looking for in a good beef stroganoff?
    I'm probably not going to be much help on this because my only criteria for anything I eat is "Would you eat this again?" and I would eat the stroganoff at R&J on a daily basis.

I met a friend at Panera in Edmond this morning for coffee and catching on life. There was 2 ladies with around 4-6 little ones running around screaming and shreeking at the top of their voices. It was about to drive my friend batty. Both of us could not hear to carry on a conversation at times. First time I've seen unruly kids in there.

Did not help maters that when my friend showed up and went up to order, I got up (had already gotten my food) to refill my coffee and to pay for hers, I went back to my table ( left a yellow notebook with papers and my cell phone on the table) the bus lady took my my plate and dumped my food. I had to wait until my friend had already gotten her order and eaten it before they replace my thrown away food. grrrr. And i twisted my knee too. Bad day for breakfast out with a friend.

Thread Information