Widgets Magazine

Thread: OSU-OKC Closing Child Development Lab Center

Default OSU-OKC Closing Child Development Lab Center

Just heard about this today and hits pretty close to home as our daughter went there up until pre-K and it was amazing for her. Anyone know what's going on there? For the longest time I know it operated at a loss but was used as training for students, but the last couple years I heard they were actually in the black, but this decision was made by the new president. Families were notified a week ago that they'll be closing down in August. As anyone with kids know, a month isn't a long time to find a new comparable center for childcare.

Default Re: OSU-OKC Closing Child Development Lab Center

If OSU-OKC's job is to make education accessible to all, this is not a positive step.

Story I saw yesterday regarding this indicates other child development centers are closing. OCCC had one for years - my wife worked there for a long time before she got her first teaching job - but they closed theirs as well a few months ago. I'm wondering if there are insurance or similar liabilities that are becoming too expensive to justify..
    ?? My wife, however, had told me that the rep.of the OCCC facility had dropped for various reasons in recent years...it was a really nice place when she was there...

What is happening ?

My daughter was at OCCC until it closed last month. It was such a great place. We tried to enroll her at OSU OKC but they were not getting back to us.
    I understand now why.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    What is happening ?

My daughter was at OCCC until it closed last month. It was such a great place. We tried to enroll her at OSU OKC but they were not getting back to us.
    I understand now why.
    I guess there isn't that much demand for someone to get an associate's in this line of work when you can get someone with a bachelors in early childhood education to run daycares.

6. Default Re: OSU-OKC Closing Child Development Lab Center

My children also went to the OCCC Child Development Center, they kept shortening the hours of operation. Right after we took our kids out, they were only open 9 hours a day. That's barely enough time to drop your kids off and get to work. We knew a lot of parents that were having to pull their kids out.

Thread Information