Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

1. Default Re: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

I'm not professing knowledge on this subject, but has anyone considered the idea that this may not be being driven by the Energy? What I mean is this: while I would agree with the assessment that the Energy is almost certainly the desired tenant, has anyone considered the idea that the developer of Chisholm Creek is driving this as a pitch to the Energy? Would make sense for the developer to pitch this if:

1. They know Prodigal desires a new location and that a temporary location and "pop-up" stadium would be an acceptable option for now
    2. There are no immediate plans to develop this particular portion of CC
    3. The stadium would provide game and event nights to feed business to existing and incoming CC tenants

I'm just saying this seems to benefit CC as much or even more than the Energy, and creates a temporary activation similar to (but obviously much larger than) Bleu Garten did in Midtown, for instance. Would make sense for CC to make such a pitch to the Energy, and depending on timelines would also make sense for them to get engineering and even permitting underway just in case they were told yes.

There seems to be lots of assumption here that this is a done deal, and unless there is something else known that hasn't been reported here I'd caution against taking it to the bank.

Default Re: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

I was told by someone in the know that the Energy hired ADG to design a new pop-up stadium for them, and this plan has ADG's name on it. Mass Architects has done all of Chisholm Creek's work.

Also, everyone involved in this project has signed strict NDA's.

Remember, Prodigal (parent of The Energy) has produced many sporting events and concerts over the years. This venue was specifically designed to be used for other sports and concerts as well as soccer.

The Energy aren't talking right now but I'm 98% sure they are driving this entire project.

3. Default Re: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

^^^^^^^^
    That’s why I said “unless there’s something else known that hasn’t been reported...”. Those details paint a fuller picture, of course.

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of the move north either, but after five years at this site, with all the pre-game food and entertainment options, once they do move to a central location (maybe the river), and once again don't have the nearby (walkable) food and entertainment options, we might hear similar groaning about that move even though it's the one we currently prefer.

I cant figure out why 5 miles makes such a difference, especially if the trade off is better local dining and drink options and other entertainment, and great parking.

I just don't see how the area they're putting this pop-up stadium in is going to seem walkable until Chisholm Creek eventually builds out around it. For the next several years, this is just going to be a stadium in the middle of a treeless field, and you can continue to count on approximately 7 home games a year being played in 90+ degree heat (though I'm hoping the move at least allows them to move the kickoff times of the mid-summer games from 7:30 to 8:00). I'm also interested to see how the parking situation plays out. I'm assuming they'll put temporary lots around the stadium for now, and eventually build a garage or two once the area around the stadium builds up. I'd expect the Energy to be here for 5-10 seasons at least, as I don't think the funding for the stadium along the river is going to come as easily as they think without a major boost in attendance, and I don't see this stadium moving the needle very much.

7. Default Re: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

Well they just ensured that they'll lose the South OKC (And all points south..Moore/Norman) population for any games, killing their attendance even more. Like i said, the further you go in one direction, the more you lose people .And contrary to the inflated Edmond egos, it cannot survive off only Edmond spectators. The Energy has been going downhill for quite a while now. If they're supposed to be a gauge for how OKC responds to MLS, i hope that MLS is watching the bad decision making on the Energy's part and not holding the city back because of it. We already know that attendance in semi-pro does NOT equate attendance in pro, but this is bad. REALLY bad If we can't get more than a couple thousand folks in the stands for soccer games, forget it.

People already had to drive to north okc ro attend these games. Is a few miles gonna make that big of a difference? If so, they dont seem like committed fans.

9. Default Re: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

Myself and my inflated Edmond ego will continue to attend the games if they move up here

Distance will be better for some, and worse for others.

Access, parking, and pre/post game food options will be better. Tailgating options will be better as well.

It’s a pop up stadium, but if they could manage to do something about shade, it would help as well.

I know we like to think that hardcore fans and supporter groups make and break teams and attendance, but the truth is that it’s mostly the casual fans and families that drive up the attendance numbers. Quality of play, which is improving, is a big factor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well they just ensured that they'll lose the South OKC (And all points south..Moore/Norman) population for any games, killing their attendance even more. Like i said, the further you go in one direction, the more you lose people .And contrary to the inflated Edmond egos, it cannot survive off only Edmond spectators. The Energy has been going downhill for quite a while now. If they're supposed to be a gauge for how OKC responds to MLS, i hope that MLS is watching the bad decision making on the Energy's part and not holding the city back because of it. We already know that attendance in semi-pro does NOT equate attendance in pro, but this is bad. REALLY bad If we can't get more than a couple thousand folks in the stands for soccer games, forget it.
    Much more likely attendance goes up at games here. Visibility is high. Lots of food and other entertainment in the area. Tickets will seem cheap. Access is good.

If the southsiders won’t drive just a few miles north then they weren’t soccer fans to start with. And yes, Edmond supports soccer in a great way, as does north OKC. You way underestimate the participation level in this part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Much more likely attendance goes up at games here. Visibility is high. Lots of food and other entertainment in the area. Tickets will seem cheap. Access is good.

If the southsiders won’t drive just a few miles north then they weren’t soccer fans to start with. And yes, Edmond supports soccer in a great way, as does north OKC. You way underestimate the participation level in this part of town.
    Plus with the turnpike right there it makes it easy to pull from Mustang and Yukon.

My take on this:

1. The Energy has been getting strong pressure from the league to move out of Taft because it is not a soccer-specific stadium and because it is too narrow for cup matches.

2. Attendance at Taft has not been stellar.

3. They aren't nearly ready to build their long-term stadium in their preferred long-term location.

4. Chisholm Creek is an easy solution due to the existing infrastructure and accessibility. It's a good deal for CC because it draws people and that area would have likely remained vacant for quite a while.

5. Prodigal could continue to operate the venue for events and concerts if/when the Energy move to their permanent home.

6. 'Temporary' things have a way of becoming a lot longer than anticipated. And, they could merely decide to not uproot themselves once again and just expand/enhance the facility down the road.

Having been going to games at Taft for 4 years now...
    I'm ready for some food and drink options.
    Bring on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

My first reaction was negative to the move as I live in South OKC. But in afterthought, why not.
    The Taft is poorly located and in a residential no mans land.
    AT least the CC stadium maybe able to let you grab a drink before and after. I am not fond of this type suburban development but it can make for a fun outing which is not the case of the actual stadium.
    For a temporary solution the Bricktown ballpark may have been interesting but it is a baseball stadium...

I think the actual physical location of the stadium itself is only one factor, especially once you consider the available amenities (including parking) in the vicinity.

If you are coming from the south on I-44, you will get off on NW 23rd, hit May, then you end up driving through residential neighborhoods to try and find a parking spot somewhere along the neighborhood, then you still walk a fair distance back to the stadium. And none of those neighborhood streets have sidewalks. So you end up walking with kids and strollers in the narrow street, with cars parked on both sides of the road, and more cars driving up and down looking for parking spots rather than watching for kids on the road. Purely counting driving time, it will be right at 10 minutes longer to get from I-44 & NW 23rd to Top Golf than it is to get from I-44 & NW 23rd to Miller & NW 26th (random block in the neighborhood next to Taft Stadium where I usually end up parking). I know it doesn't seem like that on paper, but by the time you get off I-44 and head to Taft, drive up and down a couple streets to find a parking spot, and walk to Taft, you can drive up I-44 to CC, park closer to the stadium, and walk a short distance to get there. The road will either have sidewalks to navigate with families, or (more likely in that location for now) empty fields to walk on with kids and strollers.

If you are coming from Yukon or El Reno, the Turnpike makes it pretty quick to get up there (If you have a Pikepass or are willing to pay the tolls, which is one of the biggest complaints against FC Dallas. It's not so much that they are in Frisco, it's that they are surrounded by Toll Roads.) If you are coming from SE Oklahoma City it will likely be quicker to keep on driving North on I-35/I-235 than trying to double back on I-40 and up I-44. It will be a lot quicker than trying to make it across NW 23rd (or any other through street) from I-235. If you are coming from NE Oklahoma City it will be quicker than taking I-44 across to NW 23rd or North May. Especially once you consider that every one of those approaches still has 10+ minutes of finding a parking spot and walking to the stadium added to the time.

As far as things to do before and after the game, you will have a lot of options at CC. Walking to and from Penn & Highland or the Top Golf area is the same distance that people are walking now simply to park. You can park your car once, then go eat/drink and go to the game and then eat/drink some more rather than having to grab food and then get back in the car to head to Taft. There will be a park across the street for families to picnic and play soccer with the kids before heading to the game. The time saved on ancillary activities more than makes up for the short driving distance.

I think you really have to do more than looking at a map to evaluate the new location.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Also, everyone involved in this project has signed strict NDA's.
    A lot of good those did

I live closer to Taft, but I'm much more likely to go to a game at Chisholm Creek due to the surrounding food and entertainment options. I have a hard time convincing people to go to games with me now because it's just a game, but I suspect it'll be easier to get friends to go if we can eat/drink/golf/etc. and make an evening out if it.

Do they sell beer/drinks at Taft for Energy games?

I haven't been to a game yet this season, but last year they had at least one Anthem tent where you had a choice of maybe 4 different offerings. Not sure if they had other stuff (the usual light domestics) or if it was an exclusive agreement with Anthem. Not sure about mixed drinks, but I'm leaning towards no.

21. Default Re: Chisholm Creek Soccer Stadium

Yes, they have a contract with COOP Ale Works, but they only offer COOP's low point options since they are on school property. Their contract with Anthem Brewing ended last year. They also offer other low point options such as Modelo, Corona and Bud Light.

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    Yes, they have a contract with COOP Ale Works, but they only offer COOP's low point options since they are on school property. Their contract with Anthem Brewing ended last year. They also offer other low point options such as Modelo, Corona and Bud Light.
    I knew there were issues due to the property being owned by the school district. And of course, 3.2 beer is likely to completely go away when the liquor laws change this October.

You can see on the new plans they have included several drink tents. Just moving off the school property completely frees them to sell all the real beer and alcohol they want.

Even ignoring all the other food/drink options on Penn and in CC, just the expanded drink options and the room for food trucks makes this a good move despite a 10 minute drive north.

But it's not walkable!!!!!

I've learned the Energy has been conducting focus groups of season ticket holders and random people around Oklahoma City.

They are trying to gauge interest and reaction to moving to this Chisholm Creek location for 3-5 years.

The moderators have told the groups the reaction has been largely negative and they are seeking more input.

It could simply be they've already made the decision and are hoping to better manage the move. Or, of course, they could change their plans based on the feedback.

I bet it is the former rather than the latter. They really have to move out of Taft soon and there is no way they will have a permanent home ready in the core by that time.

I'm sure they took a strong look at establishing the temp location near the river/downtown but I believe a driving force is to be near other eating/drinking establishments, so that obviously is limiting.

Thread Information