Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sears SW 44th & Western

Default Re: Sears SW 44th & Western

It is sad to see the current Sears builing be changed from what it currently is. I grew up going to this Sears store and would prefer it just be preserved as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    It is sad to see the current Sears builing be changed from what it currently is. I grew up going to this Sears store and would prefer it just be preserved as is.
    What would be the point in preserving an empty, decaying, unused building?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    What would be the point in preserving an empty, decaying, unused building?
    Maybe restore the sign to the original red cursive sign and fix up the building and maybe make it a Sears museum or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Maybe restore the sign to the original red cursive sign and fix up the building and maybe make it a Sears museum or something like that.
    And who would pay for this? The company itself, which is closing stores left and right and about to go bankrupt?

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    And who would pay for this? The company itself, which is closing stores left and right and about to go bankrupt?
    No A preservation group. I would if I had the money to.

I used to love how that building looked lit up at Christmas....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I used to love how that building looked lit up at Christmas....
    Yeah, I had forgotten about how it looked at Christmas.

Nostalgia is a fun thing, but in this case it's probably best to see a little progress in this area versus keeping a dying dinosaur on life support.

Forget cancer and hungry children’s. Let’s build a sears museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Forget cancer and hungry children’s. Let’s build a sears museum.
    depends... will you include Roebuck?

And craftsman, with meticulously recreated replicas of 1950’s riding lawnmowers and diy gadgets.

In all seriousness. My grandmother, who never threw anything printed away, had this massive library of sears Roebuck catalogues with the most bewildering “devices” I remember you could buy boats, and even houses.

As sad as I am to see Sears close up shop here, I'm actually super excited for VASA Fitness. They offer a LOT of amenities for not a lot of money and this facility wouldn't be very far from the house at all.

This is a good outcome considering Sears closes next month and there is a ton of property here.

I've been very fearful this would just turn into a massive bingo hall or something equally awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is a good outcome considering Sears closes next month and there is a ton of property here.

I've been very fearful this would just turn into a massive bingo hall or something equally awful.
    I had similar fears, especially with how long Target across the street sat vacant before inking deals with Autozone and Dollar Tree. It still remains to be seen what happens to the old Sears building, as well as the multiple outparcel sites, but with the property owner being this on the ball about attracting VASA, I'm not overly concerned. That said, though, I am quite disappointed that the plan for the former Sears is to cut the building back and remove the existing, distinctive facade... True, it probably will do more to "right-size" the building for success, but I will be sad to see a Southside icon with that retro mid-century charm yield to yet another row of modern looking (but generic) storefronts. At least the refreshed facade should look pretty nice.

People are crazy. I went Sunday about 1pm 8-12 and it was busy. Check out lane at time was 10 deep with 4 cashiers working. They problem was everything was so jacked up in price that even at 50% off you were not getting a deal. However these people in there were acting like it was the best deal on earth. Lee jeans $19 after 1/2. I can get them on Amazon or just about anywhere for the same price. They had tv trays that i do need $69.99 I'll buy the 5 piece set at Walmart for $39.99. Might not be a good but it's a tv tray i don't need it to do much.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    People are crazy. I went Sunday about 1pm 8-12 and it was busy. Check out lane at time was 10 deep with 4 cashiers working. They problem was everything was so jacked up in price that even at 50% off you were not getting a deal. However these people in there were acting like it was the best deal on earth. Lee jeans $19 after 1/2. I can get them on Amazon or just about anywhere for the same price. They had tv trays that i do need $69.99 I'll buy the 5 piece set at Walmart for $39.99. Might not be a good but it's a tv tray i don't need it to do much.
    Yeah once the liquidators move in there are rarely any good deals left. Or the good stuff has been moved elsewhere.

Has it officially closed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Has it officially closed yet?
    I believe yesterday was the last day.

Yes, yesterday was the end and today they are already taking down the signs.

I noticed there is work being done on the old Sears automotive center. There was a roll off dumpster, temporary chain link fencing surrounding the location and plastic or vinyl tarps draped over the building itself.

The city records show permits for a 7-11 at 4400 S. Western. I believe this would be the automotive center.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The city records show permits for a 7-11 at 4400 S. Western. I believe this would be the automotive center.

The automotive center is being torn down today.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    The automotive center is being torn down today.
    Did you drive by and see it being torn down or did you read about it somewhere?

I saw it on my way to work this morning. It probably started yesterday as it is just a big pile of rubble.

Thread Information