Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lincoln Riley

Default Lincoln Riley

Is it me or does the premise of this story seem a bit...uh...preemptive? I mean, one season in and NFL teams are all into Lincoln. Just seams hard to believe.

Everybody Wants to Talk to Lincoln Riley @ Sports Illustrated

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lincoln Riley

Preempting what?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Is it me or does the premise of this story seem a bit...uh...preemptive? I mean, one season in and NFL teams are all into Lincoln. Just seams hard to believe.

Everybody Wants to Talk to Lincoln Riley @ Sports Illustrated
    he has come into a program and re-invigorated it, in a very short time. of course NFL teams and coaches are going to reach out and ask questions about his style. Football is a copycat sport... not only do teams at both levels borrow what you do on the field to improve their programs, but they borrow what you do off the field as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    he has come into a program and re-invigorated it, in a very short time. of course NFL teams and coaches are going to reach out and ask questions about his style. Football is a copycat sport... not only do teams at both levels borrow what you do on the field to improve their programs, but they borrow what you do off the field as well.
    I guess, if I was an NFL guy, I would still be a might bit skeptical considering he took over a program that was humming along just fine when his predecessor called it quits. I mean, reinvigorate seems a bit extreme when you consider OU won the Big 12 champ and the Sugar bowl with Heisman candidate the year prior, and then took the same Heisman to win it and win the Big 12 again to lose in the Rose Bowl. Those are great seasons no doubt, however I don't know that OU was headed in a negative direction before Lincoln took the reigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I guess, if I was an NFL guy, I would still be a might bit skeptical considering he took over a program that was humming along just fine when his predecessor called it quits. I mean, reinvigorate seems a bit extreme when you consider OU won the Big 12 champ and the Sugar bowl with Heisman candidate the year prior, and then took the same Heisman to win it and win the Big 12 again to lose in the Rose Bowl. Those are great seasons no doubt, however I don't know that OU was headed in a negative direction before Lincoln took the reigns.
    More talking about how the spring went with regards to the potential 2019 number 1 recruiting class. something that Bob, never did. and has blown people away that he has somehow made OU the top destination for these kids that will be coming out of high school. Talk around the OU program this spring has been way more positive then usual after losing one the best players in college football at the number 1 position. and the reason for that is the positive outlook on the future of OU. NFL teams want to know what his method was for getting through to these kids that have given the verbal commitments, especially if they turned into actually signed letters and they all show up. The NFL cares because they want to make sure they are at the leading edge of how to motivate and relate to these kids when they hit the draft in 4 or 5 years. They want to stay ahead of the curve. They do this to all of the coaches that are able to recruit like that (especially when it comes out of no where). This is something that we around here haven't been apart of before, and so it's getting some more media attention.

so you were right... reinvigorate was the wrong word. set the bar even higher than what Bob was ever able to set it to in terms of the caliber of talent, is what I should have said.

Blog Entries

Actually, reinvigorate is the right word.

"re·in·vig·or·ate
    verb: give new energy or strength to."

Those around the program will tell you that there is a new energy there and it shows in recruiting and other aspects. He reinvigorated the offense and has brought new schemes and excitement to it.

There are some who will not understand that to give LR props is not to say Bob didn't do great things and have great success. Both can be true. It just galls some that LR is getting good results and good press.

Remember that the best college coaches make about the same sort of money as their NFL counterparts.

Plus, there is usually much more loyalty in the college ranks.

All this means you don't see college coaches at big programs jumping to the NFL very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Remember that the best college coaches make about the same sort of money as their NFL counterparts.

Plus, there is usually much more loyalty in the college ranks.

All this means you don't see college coaches at big programs jumping to the NFL very often.
    I'll grant you all there appears to be something going on in Norman. I just am slow to give credit to college coaches until a few years down the road when they get their feet underneath them. Excitement is well and good but it could be a false flag. I sincerely hope not, but I've seen it happen elsewhere before.

Regarding NFL coaches, that is something I have never understood (similar in NBA). It seems that there is literally a coaching carousel and they just hop from one to the next to the next. Even if a coach has struggled in one place it doesn't seem to hinder their chances for another gig.

If you've got *every* NFL franchise coming to talk to you about your offensive concepts, chances are you're doing something sufficiently unusual or unorthodox. You're not just adding some routes to a WR's route tree.

This is what I think some are missing about the Stooops-Riley transition; Stoops saw that Riley wasnt just another warm body to fill the OC slot after Heupel was fired. He was doing something fundamentally different at a really basic, philosophical level.

The Rose Bowl loss still stings, but we still made a good Georgia defense look pretty foolish for a good part of that game. The question everyone wants to answer is whether Riley hit three bars on the QB slot machine with Mayfield, or if he's got a repeatable concept that, with the right talent baseline, could make OU dangerous for a while. The potential is really startling, I think.

It isn't like they offered him the HC job instantly. Just like what he is doing offensively, which us OU fans know is incredible and borderline ignorant, how awesome and efficient his offense is. Of course NFL teams want to know some tips.

In the last decade the NFL has been adopting many concepts of college offenses. It is just natural they would seek out the coaches/coordinators that run those systems to learn some concepts.

it's also about building rapport with a new coach at a school the NFL might be drafting a lot out of in the coming years. a large portion of the NFL scouting process is talking with the players college coach to gain some insight on the player. So building the rapport with the coach allows for the scouting departments to know what types of things he will say about every players, and how to get the information they want out of a coach. They want to know the quickest and best way to get the most information out of a coach about a players tenure at a university, so that they don't waste anyone's time, and can made the decision about their draft boards.

Thread Information