Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best mobile phone network in OKC metro?

Default Best mobile phone network in OKC metro?

Not looking for best mobile-phone company, but just the network. Currently have Virgin Mobile, which uses Sprint, and it's been quite acceptable in OKC and suburbs, as well as most other areas we've vacationed to, but had no-to-crappy service in Guthrie this weekend (yes, actual spots in downtown Guthrie where there was no service), which was weird. Historically, I know AT&T and Verizon are some of the older, better infrastructures here, but not sure how good anybody else is (thought Sprint was good until this weekend, ha), and thought I'd ask the masses since y'all are way more educated about mobile phone stuff than I am (had an original Razr until about 9 years ago and then switched to an HTC One, which I still have, but is getting pretty long in the tooth). Thanks...

Just realized that my HTC One is only 3G and any new phone (which I will be getting in the next few months) will be 4G and will probably be way better coverage-wise than 3G, so it may be a moot point.
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 06-17-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added the 3G info

Default Re: Best mobile phone network in OKC metro?

Google Fi, hands down. The phone selection is a bit limited but it seems Google finally realized how stupid that is and is opening it up, but if you use a Fi phone, you can use whichever network is strongest in any given location between Sprint, T-Mobile, and USCellular. Add to that the long list of WiFi Hotspots.

3. Default Re: Best mobile phone network in OKC metro?

Been with Sprint as my primary cellular provider for about 20-years now. I also maintain accounts with other providers as part of my work - work cell phone(s), iPad Pro cellular service, remote surveillance camera cellular service, etc.

While I almost switched from Sprint back in 2013 when we moved to Edmond - initially got terrible service inside my home near East 15th and I-35. But within the year they improved coverage in that area - I'm still with Sprint because; I always have coverage in 99% of my regular locations (Edmond, OKC, Guthrie, El Reno, Shawnee, Norman), most often have coverage when my work has me in rural areas of Oklahoma and, most importantly, I have never been able to beat their price. I pay $57/month (average) for unlimited everything on 5 phones (with additional add-on features and taxes/service fees).

Surprised TheTravellers had issues in downtown Guthrie. I'm in Guthrie, near/at the courthouse pretty frequently without issue. The only time I notice spotty coverage is when I'm at the original Missy's location (which is fine, because I don't want to be distracted from their unbelievable donuts and sandwiches).

I looked at Google Fi a couple of times. For me, it hasn't matured enough to even be considered. The lack of an iPhone is a deal breaker for me.

Beyond the limited phones on Google Fi, I find the cost to be prohibitive too. I'm a heavy data user and I could be charged up to $60/month for data usage alone.

That said, for many people who don't use a lot of data and are not picky about their phone, it could be a consideration.

If GoogleFi is an option, you may want to look into MintSIM. They're an MVNO of Tmo, cheaper than GoogleFi, and more data. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	14692

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Surprised TheTravellers had issues in downtown Guthrie. I'm in Guthrie, near/at the courthouse pretty frequently without issue. The only time I notice spotty coverage is when I'm at the original Missy's location (which is fine, because I don't want to be distracted from their unbelievable donuts and sandwiches).

Ha - I was actually at the original Missy's when I tried to get service one time and saw the dreaded "X". First time there, and yeah, their donuts are unbelievable - wife had the best blueberry cake she's had in years, and my old-fashioned was great, but a bit too airy to be a true old-fashioned, but the chocolate frosting was wonderful. Wish Missy's would open up locations down here, best we've had since we've been back in the area (9 years).

I'm thinking it's just my old 3G phone, and I won't have a problem with coverage when I get a new one, so that's good to hear about Sprint, will definitely consider staying on them with whatever provider I can find that works best...

Thx to y'all for the other providers, might check them out too since I don't do iAnything, so no iPhone isn't a showstopper for me.

I'm on T-Mobile postpaid, and I like them a lot... their network in Oklahoma is pretty good for most of the places I go. When they turned up 4G LTE across their network in Oklahoma, they did a lot of work on their cell sites; they completely replaced all of the equipment that they had inherited from VoiceStream way back in the day with new equipment that can handle newer technologies. They're not perfect, but with the exception of being in the middle of several of the more remote state parks, I've had service pretty much everywhere I've needed it, and the speeds are quite good too - especially in OKC and Tulsa. I'm on a grandfathered family plan from back when T-Mo offered 2 lines of unlimited everything for $100, which was pretty mindblowing for the time. The pending acquisition of Sprint, combined with the deployment of their remaining 700MHz and 600MHz ("Long-Range LTE") spectrum, should continue to improve coverage into the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    If GoogleFi is an option, you may want to look into MintSIM. They're an MVNO of Tmo, cheaper than GoogleFi, and more data. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	14692
    Price was absolutely not a factor when I switched to Fi, it was (as mentioned in the OP) a quest for better coverage. Considering I had T-Mobile at the time, it looks like MintSIM would also not work in the same places T-Mobile didn't.

I'm on republic wireless. I have used both T-mobile and Sprint with their service. Over all T-mobile is faster however I have found one major problem that makes me use sprint. No service at thunder games with T-mobile. I don't know if it's just me. Maybe others have had better luck but anywhere there is a large crowd even at BOK center in Tulsa I have had no service with T-mobile.

Signed up for MetroPCS a few months ago for a family plan (4 lines w/ unlimited* everything $100/month no taxes) and pretty happy with it. Last year I was on (Google) Project Fi since I read it was really good for using overseas. It wasn't working out for me when I came back to Oklahoma though, which is why I switched. And then prior to that I was on T-Mobile, which was ok, but they always gave spotty connection in rural areas.

Of course MetroPCS uses T-Mobile's network, and maybe it's due to their constant expansion, but I haven't had issues in rural areas since. If you do choose MetroPCS, do NOT go to an authorized dealer. Oklahoma unfortunately doesn't have corporate-owned stores, so I had to go to Texas to sign up for the promo, but just fyi.

I have Sprint and don't have issues around town ( I also am a 18 year employee ). for what its worth our roaming agreement with T-Mo will be in affect within the month so you will also be able to Roam on T-Mo if there are areas you travel where Sprint network may not be as good as T-Mo. This is a one way roaming agreement so T-Mo will not be roaming on Sprint. Just a FYI

11. Default Re: Best mobile phone network in OKC metro?

I will say the one thing I hate about Sprint is they offer ZERO incentives to loyal customers. I see all these great deals advertised - buy one iPhone and get one free, $25/line unlimited everything - only to see it applies to new customers or new lines. Needed a new iPhone this week. Bought it at the Apple store just so Sprint wouldn’t get anymore money from me. I’m sure the other carriers are similar. Makes me just want to hop from carrier to carrier.

12. Default Re: Best mobile phone network in OKC metro?

Looks like ATT just doubled their admin fees. Going to switch to TMobile later this year. ATT just keeps going up!

Having had most of the services via randomly testing them with kids and friends over the past 5 years, I've always had the best luck with Verizon service in terms of network.

Friend and her family has Sprint and for calls/text, it seems to work fine but heavy data usage/speed is problematic. Oftentimes when we're in the same place and doing something similar (such as playing a game), she can't get logged in when I can.

AT&T seems to be comparable to Verizon with different locations with extra coverage. About 4 years ago I had a huge problem with dropped calls, but it seems they've rectified that.

T-Mobile about made one of my kiddos give up on one of their cell phone games until I switched them to my Verizon account. Definitely no problem with calls/texts, just data usage/speeds in certain areas.

Thread Information