acerage=.55
    other=Built by Marsh Pittman
    Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown
    By Steve Lackmeyer
    The Oklahoman

A proposed 10-story Hampton Inn -- the tallest addition to Bricktown -- is set to be reviewed next month by the Bricktown Urban Design Committee.
    The $20 million project has been in the works for two years and is being developed by Marsh Pittman, owner of the Power Alley Parking Garage and Madison, Wis.-based Raymond Management Group.

Raymond Management Group operates 38 Hilton properties. Barry Perkel, director of real estate with Raymond Management, said his company began scouting sites in Bricktown three years ago after being alerted to downtown Oklahoma City by one of his brokers.

"There is a lot going on there," Perkel said. "We are very excited about the opportunity to build a high-quality, limited-service hotel."

Pitman said he hopes the hotel will expand the downtown skyline. He said the architects will be Tom Wilson and Architectural Design Group, the architects who designed the neighboring SBC Bricktown Ballpark.

Pittman and Perkel said they want the hotel to complement the district and will include brick in its facade.

The hotel won't have a restaurant, Pittman said, because the property at Sheridan Avenue and Central already is surrounded by eateries and clubs. But the hotel will be bigger than a typical Hampton Inn.

"We were envisioning it as being about 150 rooms," Pittman said. "But as we got into it and kept working it, it ended up we felt like we could get 200 rooms on the site."

Pitman estimated construction will begin by March and be completed within 14 months.

The Hampton Inn, when built, will join a 150-room Residence Inn being built along Reno Avenue by John Q. Hammons as the first hotels to open in Bricktown.

And when combined with the renovation of the Skirvin Hotel and conversion of the Colcord into a boutique hotel, it will boost downtown's room count to about 1,500 by 2007.

2. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Yay!! We are getting a lot of good news lately. 10 stories, that's pretty cool...

1,500 rooms, am I dreaming?? Conventions, conventions, I see lots and lots of conventions. I'm so excited for our city!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Yes, and if I understand the proposed site, there is no way they can stretch it out and make it too suburban, so their only choice was to go UP. (like downtownokc inc). I hope the design is better than hammonds

I'm encouraged by the choice of architect and proximity to the stadium.

You'd think the design would will be complimentary to The Brick, and that can only be a good thing.

I 100% agree Malibu. You have to assume that a firm that designed an area landmark will at least be sensitive to the aesthetics of that land mark, if not the entire district. And I think not being full service can be a good thing in this instance, in that it will draw its guests out of the hotel and into local services.

Mods, why isnt this thread in the Bricktown section

Patrick Guest

Yeah, I'll move it to the Bricktown section.

Patrick Guest

By the way, this is great news. I know we've known about this hotel for awhile now, but it's finally good to see it all in writing. I'm glad it will be 10 stories. Personally I think we need to put a 10 story or more requirement on all hotels downtown. The 6 story Residence Inn is a joke. I would've rather seen a 10 story Embassy Suites there.

9. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    And I think not being full service can be a good thing in this instance, in that it will draw its guests out of the hotel and into local services.
    Not to mention offer lower-priced hotel rooms that we don't have in downtown right now.

I'm really excited that it will be 10 floors. Great news.

10. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

The 6 story Residence Inn is a joke. I would've rather seen a 10 story Embassy Suites there.
    Patrick, from what I understand, the Embassy Suites could not be built on that site. Hilton requires all Embassy Suites to have an atrium, which means you have to have a larger footprint. So, he would have had to move parking elsewhere-- presumably across the street. But across the street the owners are planning their own development.

While I am disappointed the Residence Inn will only be 6 floors, I am thankful for that. Let's not forget that Mr. Hammons has built a 311-room Renaissance (when no one was investing in downtown), a 225-room full service Courtyard Marriott, is building a 150-room Residence Inn, and will be building a 250+ room Embassy Suites. He is an out-of-state investor who apprears to believe more in this city than in-state investors-- who have not invested nearly as much as him to date.

11. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok
    While I am disappointed the Residence Inn will only be 6 floors, I am thankful for that. Let's not forget that Mr. Hammons has built a 311-room Renaissance (when no one was investing in downtown), a 225-room full service Courtyard Marriott, is building a 150-room Residence Inn, and will be building a 250+ room Embassy Suites. He is an out-of-state investor who apprears to believe more in this city than in-state investors-- who have not invested nearly as much as him to date.
    Very true Brianinok. He was always there for OKC and he brings a diversity of hotel options to downtown. Im glad more developers are on board and jumping on - but Hammon was there when no one else cared to.

Continue the Renaissance
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

12. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Has anyone seen any designs of what the HInn will look like? I've just googled a few different ways but couldn't find anything, other than the story posted at the top of this thread.

13. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

i remember a few years ago driving by downtown and seeing all the construction cranes on the skyline. here comes another round of them, great to see the progress.

bmrsnr Guest

Were there any renderings of what this new Hampton Inn will look like? And has it actually been approved yet, or was that going to happen this month?

Bricktown committee to review hotel plans
    by Brian Brus
    The Journal Record
    11/7/2005

The Bricktown Urban Design Committee is scheduled to review for approval developer Marsh Pitman's application to build a nine-story Hampton Inn hotel next year, officials said.

The application was filed by Pitman, Sheridan Development LLC and Power Alley Parking LLC for consideration at the Nov. 9 committee meeting. Pitman, who is also chairman of the Bricktown Urban Design Committee, is expected to recuse himself for the consideration process, City Planner John Calhoun said.

Preliminary designs show the hotel would be larger than many Hamptons in other markets, with a tight land parcel size driving the 150-200 rooms vertically instead of a horizontal spread. The hotel will be built adjacent to Pitman's parking garage, on the east side at 222 E. Sheridan Ave.

Sources familiar with the project have estimated the hotel will cost about $20 million to build.

Architectural designs were provided by Gary Brink & Associates of Madison, Wisc. The firm could not be reached for comment late Friday.

Calhoun said the committee will likely have specific concerns that the developers will have to address, such as window setbacks, facings, landscaping and façade brick composition. Such issues are standard with major developments, he said, and require most developers to refine their proposals for final approval.

There are more than 1,300 Hampton Inns in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Hampton Inns are part of the Hilton brand of hotels

16. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

9-Storeys. Not bad.

yes, 9 stories, not 10 like the original proposal but still good. Did anyone catch the rendering in the Journal Record yesterday?? It was what should be built in bricktown and not suburbia. It wasn't that ornate or eye appealing though but at least its vertical and all brick.

18. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

The rendering was of the Hampton? could you post it?

I'd love to see it too!

It can't be posted, it was only in the print version of the JR. If I see it online, I will post it. Sorry for any confusion

21. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Metro, could you scan it? The quality wouldn't likely be all that great, but it would give us an idea. Please? Pretty please? With sugar on it? :tweeted: :tweeted:

22. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

yeah ....

what about us "outsiders", ha ha ha

I'd luv to see the rendering!!

Please scan/post METRO... Please...

I'd love to if I had a scanner, if you guys want to take up a collection for a scanner for me, I'd love to upload you guys pictures

24. Default Re: 10-story Hampton Inn proposed for Bricktown

Well, what about snail mail? Make a copy of the pic using a copier and send it to me at 200 N Harvey, STE 500, Okc 73102, and I'll do the scanning!?

Here's the rendering and story from today's Oklahoman:

Hotel . granted height variance; proposed facade draws concern

By Steve Lackmeyer Business Writer

Developers of a proposed $20 million Bricktown Hampton Inn won approval Wednesday to exceed the district’s height limits, but also were warned against using an “EFIS,” or stucco siding.

The 10-story building, with rooms on nine floors topped by a storage penthouse, is to be built next year at 300 E Sheridan, immediately east of the Power Alley Parking Garage. Developers are the garage’s owner, Marsh Pitman, and Wisconsin-based Raymond Management.

The building’s total height, including a tower that will light up at night, EFIS on such a prominent building in Bricktown,” Yoeckel said. “I would to have think long and hard before compromising on the brick.”

Barry Perkel, director of real estate with Raymond Management, responded the use of more brick will increase the project’s cost and prevent the hotel’s goal of hitting a “price point” of $100 to $110 per room night. He also warned adding more brick could spur the removal of a reflecting pool and brick-paved drive at the entry.

Perkel acknowledged some EFIS construction wears out badly over time, but said his management group has had great success maintaining EFIS-sided buildings.

Yoeckel praised Perkel for submitting designs that exceed typical Hampton Inn standards, but said the committee will still frown on the use of EFIS. Scaramucci questioned whether approving a building with EFIS will set a precedent for future projects.

“This is a 100-year-old district,” Yoeckel said. “And we have to think about not just who will own it now, but who will own it in the future.”

Thread Information