Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

1. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I noticed they have posted hours instead of the we are open till we sell out business model. Is this accurate?
    I believe it is but set hours won't guarantee they don't sell out of items before they close... Especially beef ribs since most places that make them don't make very many because they are almost a break even item on the menu. So it's not worth the smoker space for a lot of pitmasters.

On the other hand the small crowds right now make me think they aren't having an issue with running out of items.

Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

I'd love to go... but the cute picnic table set-up isn't very disabled-patron friendly... and I live too far away for take-out.

Heads up, contrary to their website they aren't open on Sunday. I'll be asking them to update it when I come in.

I stopped by yesterday. I called ahead of time and picked it up cause I had plans. Ordered the German sausage, pork ribs, pulled pork, and fries. I tried to order the spicy sausage, but they were out of serving size amounts. I did get a little piece. Didn't find it particularly spicy.

I sauces are all vinegar-y, the spicy one being the least of all 3 (original, sweet, and spicy). The pork rib is huge. I have a picture, but it's not a very good one. The owner, or some guy who I thought was the owner, mentioned that the sausage was very German-y, whatever that means? I think it tasted gamey, and I enjoyed it. Pulled pork was good, and the fries were beer battered and had cajun seasoning.

I look forward to coming back and trying the brisket, beef rib, spicy sausage, and another side. When I walked in I was the only person in the place, and one other person came in for a to go order when I was there. He gave me a free drink which was nice. They've been open for around 2 months. Hope they catch on.

5. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I look forward to coming back and trying the brisket, beef rib, spicy sausage, and another side.
    I'm definitely going back and trying some of their other meats. I didn't get any of their pork.

I only tried the spicy sauce and didn't find it very spicy but I thought it was a good sauce... Also had the smoked green beans and they were good.

I'd definitely go back for the beef rib.

I'm sitting here right now waiting for my food. I sampled the brisket and the German sausage already and am impressed.

7. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm sitting here right now waiting for my food. I sampled the brisket and the German sausage already and am impressed.
    You must have gotten there as we were leaving....

Neighbor and I decided to stop in and give it a try. We probably got there not long after 6pm.

Place is spacious, inviting and very clean - but, absolutely empty at 6pm on a Thursday evening. We were the only people there until 4-others came in as we were leaving.

We got a sampling of the German sausage - very tasty. Owner was very friendly and had a likable dry sense of humor. We were really in luck though because they actually had beef ribs that night due to a special order for a regular customer. So, we each got one beef rib and drinks and shared an order of fries, coleslaw and jalapeños. Beans are complementary and serve yourself. Was a bit of a sticker shock when I went to pay (counter service and pay at the register) - $80 total.

Neighbor got a big chuckle because I had already offered to buy before we got there. I know my rib alone priced out at $30 (1.5 pounds based on their menu price).

Regardless, the beef rib was amazing and plenty of meat per rib for two people. I've never had a beef rib that tender and juicy. I'd take this over a steak any day of the week. So, when with that perspective, I'm not too put off by the price. I'm a sauce guy (and loved their sauces), but this meat didn't even need sauce - or at least it didn't need to be covered in it.

The fries were fine. Dense and crunchy. Might get them again with a sandwich.

The fried/stuffed jalapeños looked great but we couldn't eat them. I'm not a fan of really hot food, so I was out after the first bite. My neighbor loves the hottest salsas and such he can find and even he stopped eating after his second bite. Owner said he never knows when they are going to be "hot" or "outrageously hot."

The beans were very good - dense (not runny) and flavorful. I don't usually order beans as a side, so I appreciated that they were free and I could have a taste and enjoyed them.

The coleslaw though stole the show. I'm a huge coleslaw fan and snob. It's gotta be really good or I'll push it aside. My only disappointment was when I ran out - I really could have eaten a bucket of the stuff.

I did notice the menu didn't offer okra nor bologna. I get that the owner is from Texas and he claims "we don't do those in Texas" - but I really think he should re-think them for his Oklahoma menu. To his credit, he said he tried bologna when he first opened and it didn't sell well.

Before we left we went ahead and ordered cobbler. Ate two of them there with ice cream and took one home to the wife. (not included in the original $80 tab)

I personally loved the cobbler. Cherries appeared fresh and the crust was super flaky and almost like baklava in my opinion. Some of the best I've ever had. The wife though didn't like it and she always looks for cobbler on restaurant menus. She said she didn't like the crust or the aftertaste. She said it was to fancied up for her and she likes "grandmas cobbler." Regardless, I'll definitely order it again. *Did take some of the beef rib and coleslaw home to her. She admitted it was the best she'd ever had and wants to go back. She also agreed she'd do those beef ribs over a good steak any day.

So, needless to say, we are going to be back and try other menu items. Just be prepared for sticker shock if ordering beef ribs for everyone - but they are so worth it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37904706_10216800041335054_1380455196773056512_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	14797

Me and my wife got there just before 7. There was a table someone was at right before we got there with a tip left on the table. May have been yours. There was one other couple that came in right at the same time, otherwise the place was empty, which is a shame. I got the two meat sandwich with brisket and german sausage. My wife got the hog heaven, which has the pulled pork, sausage, and rib meat. Her only somewhat negative comment is that she felt the fried onion was not necessary. We also tried the complementary brisket beans. Very good. The owner was amazing, service was great, and we chatted quite a bit about BBQ. I worry about the lack of customers though.

Oh, and the servings were amazingly generous IMO. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today.

9. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Yeah... Beef ribs aren't a cheap item anywhere... They are $20+ a pound at Deckle and my lunch was being paid for the day I got mine.... My tab could have easily hit $80 on it's own had I been buying just for myself because I really wanted to try the brisket and pork ribs too.

And yes as a fan of the jalapenos (Competition people call them ABT's which is Atomic Buffalo Turd). When I make them you never really know the heat level.... Sometimes they come out about as spicy as a pepperoni and the next time they are making you sweat.

10. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Me and my wife got there just before 7. There was a table someone was at right before we got there with a tip left on the table. May have been yours. There was one other couple that came in right at the same time, otherwise the place was empty, which is a shame. I got the two meat sandwich with brisket and german sausage. My wife got the hog heaven, which has the pulled pork, sausage, and rib meat. Her only somewhat negative comment is that she felt the fried onion was not necessary. We also tried the complementary brisket beans. Very good. The owner was amazing, service was great, and we chatted quite a bit about BBQ. I worry about the lack of customers though.

Oh, and the servings were amazingly generous IMO. I'm having the leftovers for lunch today.
    The tipping table was us. I asked him "How's business?" and he didn't complain and just said "It takes time to build up a following."

You can tell by looking around he is well funded - or at least didn't scrimp when opening.

I hope he hangs in there and gets the following he deserves.

Well OKCtalk got him some business yesterday, I went as well lol.

Its a great looking place. TVs on every wall, lit up screen order menus. Picnic tables look nice and relaxed, tons of space & best of all its very clean & tidy. The smell is fantastic as well.

The owner was very nice . I avoided the elephant in the room (or maybe, LACK of elephant in the room) in discussing how business has been seeing as how I was the only person in there. I told him I'd be back though.

My order consisted of:

Lean & fatty brisket
    Pork ribs
    Stuffed Jalepenos
    Green apple coleslaw
    French Fries

Not sure if I should touch on the star of the show right off the bat, but the brisket was by far the best part of the meal. I love fatty brisket but the lean brisket but just as tender and juicy as the fat was. It was so so good. I'm not sure I'd say its Maples good, but it is very very good.

The ribs were a little overdone. Bones fell right out with no pull at all. Surprisingly the rib meat actually held its integrity pretty well though. The flavor was great also.

The stuffed Jalepenos were HOT. It was the first thing I tried & I regretted it. I didn't eat anything else a full 15 minutes after I took a bite of the Jalepeno because I didn't want it to effect my taste of the meat. They were actually pretty tasty though, but I doubt I'd put myself through that torture again voluntarily. Speaking of spicy, there is a spicy turkey leg challenge. I asked him about it & he said he has let some people try the hot sauce he puts on it and they all have suffered way too much to even think about doing the challenge.

The coleslaw is good, but you can't have any prior expectations based on your run of the mill coleslaw. The apple changes the game. I wouldn't say I prefer it this way but it was still good.

The fries I thought were pretty tasty & I got a large helping of them.

The spicy BBQ sauce was by far the best IMO. The regular just doesn't do it for me, its way too thin. Its basically liquid as apposed to sauce.

It can be pretty pricey depending on what you buy but all in all I'd say its worth it. Its pretty close to my house so by default I'd say it will be my go to BBQ.

12. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Yeah... That turkey leg challenge has Scorpion, Reaper, and Ghost chilies on it.... I've eaten all 3 but there is no way I'm going to attempt that.

A couple in my group got the lean brisket and it looked really good. I'm looking forward to going back and trying the fatty and the jalapenos.

A friend and I stopped by yesterday. Between the both of us we tried all of the meat. Also saw somebody attempt to do the turkey challenge. They got full before they got spiced out. Brisket is better at Maples, but overall I like deckle.

Stopped by again today. They now offer beef rib by half pound. Judging by the market here, bigger isn't always better? His words, not mine.

Went here tonight. A few other small groups were there. I had German sausage (shared with my 4 year old), brisket, fries, potato salad, and fried Mac and cheese. My wife had a pulled pork sandwich.

My wife unfortunately isn’t big on bbq but she liked the pulled pork. My son loved the sausage and I thought the brisket was the best I’ve ever had. We also all agreed the fries were really good. I’ll definitely be back and hope he finds his place.

Owner was really great, btw and offered my son a treat if he finished the sausage. Came by later with an ice cream sandwich. Again, this is the type of place that deserves to make it here.

I asked about it and he claimed getting steady business. Not sure if that indicates growth, but he's getting something.

Went here for lunch today; appreciate the recommendation!

Brisket was solid; probably the best I've had at a restaurant in the city. Ribs were fine. Nothing special. Green beans were excellent. Fries were decent. They give you a mountain of them.

Was alone in the restaurant between 12:30p and 1p.

Asked where everyone was and got a half answer about "lots of take-out orders."

Two people showed up separately just after 1p.

Hopefully this place can hang on; definitely more convenient than coming down to Backdoor or Leo's for those of us who live way out on the NW Side.

I went yesterday to pick up some takeout. I got beef ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and several sides. I thought all the food was exceptional, but the brisket---holy cow i hope they do well. Really good bark, very tender, and flavorful! He gave me some of the burnt ends to try and they were great! I talked to the owner and he said he moved up here from Houston after Harvey---think he had several restaurants in Houston. Anyway, can't recommend it enough---Brisket is probably best i've had so far (i haven't tried the one in Wellston, but i'm not sure if it's worth the drive after trying this brisket---would be interested in anyone's opinion who's had both. I can't imagine it's so much better that it's worth the drive?

20. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mark356 View Post
    I can't imagine it's so much better that it's worth the drive?
    Oh.... It's worth the drive!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmTlzstl...=ok_whirling_s

My mother teaches in Wellston, so I have an advantage, but yes, it's worth the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    "Fatty brisket was on point!"

now THAT'S a barbecue pun.

23. Default Re: Deckle Smokehouse BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    "Fatty brisket was on point!"

now THAT'S a barbecue pun.
    Yeah... I wasn't the top rated BBQ Blogger in Oklahoma for 5 years just because I was the only BBQ blogger in Oklahoma.

Ok, I actually was the only one but most people that followed me liked my sense of humor.

Okay great...i won't let 45 minutes stand in the way of great bbq! Thank you for the recommendation!

Okay great...i won't let 45 minutes stand in the way of great bbq! Thank you for the recommendation!

Thread Information