Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread where we complain about Edmond Traffic

Default Re: Thread where we complain about Edmond Traffic

It'd also help if half of the main roadways weren't under construction much of the year . . . or at least it sure seems that way. I drive from North of Waterloo Road down to 122nd and Kelly every day. I usually take Santa Fe down to Memorial, but will sometimes take Kelly all the way down. It's crazy how leaving 5 minutes earlier or later makes . . . even at 6:15-6:30 am.

it's amazing what accountability will do. the work on I35 is much better than what it was. the new patches aren't nearly as bumpy and the progress appears to be moving right along... northbound is pretty dang smooth. it's pathetic it took property damage and injuries for ODOT to hold the contractor accountable for shoddy work.

Edmond isn't alone with traffic woes. In just the last few years, it has become apparent that timing algorithms for traffic lights have basically been thrown in the dumper. I live in SW OKC a bit SE if the airport and it seems EVERY intersection is timed without rhyme or reason. I won't say it's as bad as Edmond, but the change is obvious and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Edmond isn't alone with traffic woes. In just the last few years, it has become apparent that timing algorithms for traffic lights have basically been thrown in the dumper. I live in SW OKC a bit SE if the airport and it seems EVERY intersection is timed without rhyme or reason. I won't say it's as bad as Edmond, but the change is obvious and frustrating.
    For sure . . . one would think that with the advances in technology we wouldn't need to deal with the inconsistent traffic light problems.

“Results from Edmond residents’ traffic questionnaire released
    The focus of a nearly $4.5 million project – the ongoing improvements at the intersection of Second Street and Bryant Avenue – was top of mind for Edmond residents in a questionnaire offered to the public recently.

The City of Edmond last month sought input from residents regarding traffic in the community. Over a two-week period, a special web form was available for residents to share their top three traffic “hot spots.” This data will serve as a tool to assist the City in future planning.

Between Jan. 3 and Jan. 16, more than 5,400 valid responses were submitted. Participants were allowed to place up to three pins on a map to ensure their exact location was included.

The top 10 traffic concern areas reported are:

2nd Street & Bryant Avenue intersection
    Covell Road & Coltrane Road intersection
    Danforth Road & Kelly Avenue intersection
    15th Street & Broadway intersection
    2nd Street & Boulevard Street intersection
    Danforth Road & Sooner Road intersection
    2nd Street & Broadway intersection
    Edmond Road & Kelly Avenue intersection
    15th Street & Bryant Avenue intersection
    33rd Street & Broadway intersection

https://www.edmondok.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=898

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I don't ever want to, but if I was to ever move back to Edmond, it would be somewhere on the extreme southsides that are basically N. OKC with easy access to the turnpike and I-235.
    That's where we are. It wasn't a mistake. My commute to downtown OKC is cake. We do have to brave Deep Edmond (TM) once a week for the Aldi. I agree with what folks are saying, i.e., it's easier to go to restaurants in OKC than Edmond. It's just poor... not poor... but actually no long term traffic planning.

They could have built a diagonal expressway as they did in OKC with NW Expressway. They didn't. It's just roads exclusively on section lines and congestion and bad choices forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    That's where we are. It wasn't a mistake. My commute to downtown OKC is cake. We do have to brave Deep Edmond (TM) once a week for the Aldi. I agree with what folks are saying, i.e., it's easier to go to restaurants in OKC than Edmond. It's just poor... not poor... but actually no long term traffic planning.

They could have built a diagonal expressway as they did in OKC with NW Expressway. They didn't. It's just roads exclusively on section lines and congestion and bad choices forever.
    Not that it wouldn’t have helped but there’s a lot Edmond could do to lessen the traffic issues than build a diagonal expressway. More grade separations at intersections and RR tracks, make Broadway more of a freeway/expressway in the city, widen certain arterials to six lanes, build more active transit infrastructure, expand its city link bus network, etc. But the city seems to rarely be able to tackle more than one “major,” and I use that word VERY lightly, project at a time.

The city just doesn’t have the money it needs nor do the citizens feel like paying more so here is the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not that it wouldn’t have helped but there’s a lot Edmond could do to lessen the traffic issues than build a diagonal expressway. More grade separations at intersections and RR tracks, make Broadway more of a freeway/expressway in the city, widen certain arterials to six lanes, build more active transit infrastructure, expand its city link bus network, etc. But the city seems to rarely be able to tackle more than one “major,” and I use that word VERY lightly, project at a time.

The city just doesn’t have the money it needs nor do the citizens feel like paying more so here is the result.
    most of what you listed is not in the best interest of edmond ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    most of what you listed is not in the best interest of edmond ..
    Of course not. Worse traffic congestion must be.

A diagonal expressway would not be feasible anymore because everything is developed. 40, 50 years ago? Sure! Now? It'd be absolutely cost prohibitive, it would bisect neighborhoods and commercial developments. When OKC built out NW Expressway from a little State highway, that was pretty visionary. I think in 30-40 years, we'll take a look at all of these current turnpike spurs to nowhere, and those will look pretty visionary.

A lot of the rest of that though, Edmond is not OKC and most residents don't want affordable housing or friendly mass transit. I'm sure that from a developer's standpoint, that's kind of insane, but it is what it is. The sort of development folks in Edmond love to see are retail and entertainment and big houses on big lots. Anything else is going to draw active efforts to combat it.

I agree with the city not seeming to be able to tackle a major project. The 2nd and Bryant construction is an absolute embarrassment. It is incomprehensible that it can take as long as it has for what really doesn't seem to be that complicated a project. You're calling for road widenings. I think that would be a years-long nightmare which would see many businesses shuttered as the City can't seem to hold contractors' feet to the fire when it comes to completing projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post

This is probably the biggest source of bad traffic, only section line roads that allow you to go N/S and E/W. If I wanted to go from Penn to May between 36th and 23rd, I'd have probably 10 different street options. Doing that in Edmond and you have only the section line roads. Thats what happens when there is no grid and everything is some kind of gated or confined neighborhood with winding streets and cul-de-sacs. There is nothing that can be done about it now other than make the major intersections bigger and wider, like 2nd and bryant. And about that taking a long time, I believe there were lots of utilities to move first, which can be painfully slow. Its also something like $6-7 million project, so not going to happen in just a couple months.

On this traffic poll, Im not sure I understand the point other than to see peoples perceptions? Its just anecdotal. Its not like the city doesnt have the actual data to show which intersections are actually dangerous. The city should make improvements in places that are actually dangerous, not what someone thinks is dangerous.

Edmond Re: Thread where we complain about Edmond Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This is probably the biggest source of bad traffic, only section line roads that allow you to go N/S and E/W. If I wanted to go from Penn to May between 36th and 23rd, I'd have probably 10 different street options. Doing that in Edmond and you have only the section line roads. Thats what happens when there is no grid and everything is some kind of gated or confined neighborhood with winding streets and cul-de-sacs. There is nothing that can be done about it now other than make the major intersections bigger and wider, like 2nd and bryant. And about that taking a long time, I believe there were lots of utilities to move first, which can be painfully slow. Its also something like $6-7 million project, so not going to happen in just a couple months.

On this traffic poll, Im not sure I understand the point other than to see peoples perceptions? Its just anecdotal. Its not like the city doesnt have the actual data to show which intersections are actually dangerous. The city should make improvements in places that are actually dangerous, not what someone thinks is dangerous.
    Danforth and Kelly is supposedly the most dangerous/highest level of traffic incidents in Edmond for Edmond Police. There are plans to redo the intersection, but also this area would greatly benefit with a center turn lane from Santa Fe all the way to Boulevard.

With Hobby Lobby, Starbucks, Hibdons, Edmond School Admin, etc...this entire area is notorious for rear end incidents.

As for the traffic survey, I think with the feedback the city can prioritize the next intersection project. For the longest time 33rd and Broadway was the "most complained" about intersection. The city rebuilt it and now traffic flows much better with double turn lanes, and a bigger intersection. 2nd and Bryant also received a lot of negative feedback with the shopping centers and I imagine at times UCO traffic that crowded the intersection.

I wish Covell flowed more like NW Expressway with wide lanes and minimal stoplights. However, I believe the city has scaled back a lot of what Covell could be, and there are plans to add more stoplights on the road, which in turn will create more congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

I wish Covell flowed more like NW Expressway with wide lanes and minimal stoplights. However, I believe the city has scaled back a lot of what Covell could be, and there are plans to add more stoplights on the road, which in turn will create more congestion.
    the next phase of the Covell expansion will start in about a year ...

it will go from just east of Coltrane to just east of bryant .. with the same BLVD feel of the newer covell sections

then then from just east of bryant to just east of BLVD will be the "final" planned phase ...

which will make Covell 4 lane with turn lanes all the way from I35 - sante fe

Moved to the Edmond area from OKC about 2.5 years ago. Never had much reason to to to Edmond before that so I was stunned to see how bad things are up here. For example, why is it that so many major intersections are misaligned, meaning if you are traveling THROUGH the intersection, you have to shift to the left or right to stay in your lane? Danforth / Kelly and Edmond Rd / Kelly are the 2 that come to mind. For that matter, how can they spend tens of millions of dollars on 33rd and Broadway and NOT align the through lanes on 33rd?

Because Edmond sucks at building roads and has no real traffic planning.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Moved to the Edmond area from OKC about 2.5 years ago. Never had much reason to to to Edmond before that so I was stunned to see how bad things are up here. For example, why is it that so many major intersections are misaligned, meaning if you are traveling THROUGH the intersection, you have to shift to the left or right to stay in your lane? Danforth / Kelly and Edmond Rd / Kelly are the 2 that come to mind. For that matter, how can they spend tens of millions of dollars on 33rd and Broadway and NOT align the through lanes on 33rd?
    I'm wondering if some of that is the result of correction sections?

I know they cause some strange meanders elsewhere in the metro. One example, I think, is where May doglegs just north of Wilshire.

It is not from correction lines. The only place where there are corrections lines nearby is where Township 12 North meets Township 13 North which is Wilshire Boulevard. They correct again in Guthrie.

Most of the intersections have little shifts because they are adding a turn lane to an otherwise straight intersection. SB Kelly right at Danforth, you go through the intersection and then it jogs to the left because engineers put a left turn lane in for NB Kelly to WB Danforth. Same with EB Danforth there. Look at the other intersections you're referencing on google maps and you can see what I'm talking about.

I do agree that Edmond traffic completely blows. I hate when we have a nice road and two cars just ride next to each other not allowing any of the traffic behind them to pass. That chaps my hide to no regard. It's the "it's my right to be in this lane" mentality. Same with anytime I pull up to a light and I'm going straight, I will try to do my best to get into the through left lane as to anyone behind me desires to make a right on red. Sure, it's not the law to have to do any of this, but let's be courteous to others on the road here!

That’s why six lane roads are optimal. Traffic flows so much better in north Dallas or south Orange County for the most part compared to the Edmond.

That’s why six lane roads are optimal. Traffic flows so much better in north Dallas or south Orange County for the most part compared to the Edmond.
    Amen to that, Plutonic. There is no traffic flow to Edmond. Hitting every single light across town no matter what road you're on. The city continues to marvel at it's on smart transportation system but quite frankly it's stupid. lol

We moved to N Dallas when I was 13 and I learned how to drive there and yes, every thoroughfare is fantastic. There's a lot of traffic there, but generally the roads are designed well enough to keep it moving.

Another issue with Edmond is the size of the intersections are not capable of handling the current car load. No right turn lanes and extremely short left turn lanes, if any, cause cars usually trying to turn left to go in to the opposing traffic lane as the intersection is backed up.

The lack of any center turn lanes on major streets (like Edmond Road/2nd between Blvd and Santa Fe)

Danforth right now has a handful of construction projects between Bryant and Kelly that are causing issues. Most attempts to alleviate traffic flow are done at minimal effort. For example, Fretz was re-done for the water tower by Edmond North, but nothing was done to address those turning onto Fretz for the two schools from Danforth. Santa Fe and Covell is another example of a misaligned and weirdly positioned intersection.

I'll echo others, the multi-million dollar intelligent light system doesn't seem to help traffic flow, other than helping traffic slow down when approaching a light and turning red.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

Danforth right now has a handful of construction projects between Bryant and Kelly that are causing issues. Most attempts to alleviate traffic flow are done at minimal effort. For example, Fretz was re-done for the water tower by Edmond North, but nothing was done to address those turning onto Fretz for the two schools from Danforth. Santa Fe and Covell is another example of a misaligned and weirdly positioned intersection.

I'll echo others, the multi-million dollar intelligent light system doesn't seem to help traffic flow, other than helping traffic slow down when approaching a light and turning red.
    They do have a project lined up to widen Danforth there from the railroad tracks and Fretz (or maybe a little further west) that will add a turn lane all along there. It's possibly why it wasn't addressed then, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Most of the intersections have little shifts because they are adding a turn lane to an otherwise straight intersection. SB Kelly right at Danforth, you go through the intersection and then it jogs to the left because engineers put a left turn lane in for NB Kelly to WB Danforth. Same with EB Danforth there. Look at the other intersections you're referencing on google maps and you can see what I'm talking about.
    So they took the lazy way out. I've seen OKC add left turn lanes in numerous locations over the past 30 years without having this issue.

So they took the lazy way out. I've seen OKC add left turn lanes in numerous locations over the past 30 years without having this issue.
    Well, I don't know what drives the different decision making in designs between OKC intersections and Edmond but you can see in google maps that OKC generally does a long gradual widening on each side of the road toward each intersection from each direction. It's so very subtle you have to look closely to see them becoming wider. Edmond does it on some but not all, and where they don't they make the adjustment on only one side of the road and it looks to be on one side of the intersection. Lazy, cheap, right of way -- I don't know why it's different in Edmond, but it can be annoying. For example, a mile south on Kelly at 2nd Street, they've made that intersection much closer to an OKC intersection with the long slow widening toward the main crossing (I am comparing to 122nd and May, randomly.) In Edmond when you drive by any of these shifts, there are black marks on the curbs where folks don't anticipate such a sharp cut back into the mainline and hit them full force. It's crazy.

Thread Information