Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Bricktown to eat

Default Going to Bricktown to eat

For those of you who are local - how often would you say you drive to Bricktown just to eat?

I have always seen the place as existing for outside visitors, which is not necessarily correct, but I wonder if I'm missing out by not thinking about it in my restaurant rotation.

It's sort of like how people living in NYC might never visit the Statue of Liberty, even though it's right near by..

Default Re: Going to Bricktown to eat

Just to eat? Never. We always try to eat somewhere there or AA or some place else downtown-ish when we go see something/somebody at ACM's Performance Lab, Criterion, Civic Center, Chesapeake, etc., but we never go to Bricktown to eat as a primary purpose. We probably will eventually, though, to Mickey Mantle's or The Mantel - we've been wanting to try them, but have always gone some other place for special dinners.

I drove down there with a friend and ate at Hey Dey just last week.

For me it's probably once a month.

I like that Henry Hudson's, Sussy's, Fuzzy's, Charleston's and Fuel (old Room 222).

Once a quarter maybe. Usually hit up the Chelino’s and Texadelphia a few times a year.

i work just north of bricktown, so i generally grab lunch there at least once a week. outside of lunch, probably 3-4 times a year as there isn't any particular restaurant there that's a huge draw for my circle of friends.

Almost never. Can count on one hand the times I've been down there in recent years.

Once every other week.

8. Default Re: Going to Bricktown to eat

Work downtown daily and go out to eat almost daily. I bet I don't go to Bricktown for lunch 3 times a year. Usually it's just to check out a new place.

I live in Edmond, so as for dinner? Never.

Simply isn't anything in Bricktown that we feel is worth the traffic, hassle, parking, parking fees, etc. for lunch of dinner.

Glad it's there for the city and out-of-towners, but has zero impact or consideration on my dinning activities.

never unless we are going to a thunder game and then we just grab some fuzzy's or yucatan

Once or twice a month. And that’s just to fuzzy’s since it’s the closest to where I’m at sometimes.

11. Default Re: Going to Bricktown to eat

Mickey Mantle’s is legitimately a top five restaurant in OKC. Top three if you’re truly carnivorous. Top two if you are into fresh seafood.

Sussy’s has been a great addition, goes beyond local and to the point of local heritage. Bricktown Brewery - itself qualifying as heritage at this point - seriously stepped up its food game recently and has been stepping up its beer game in anticipation of changes in beer laws. Speaking of beer, TapWerks continues to have one of the best selection in the metro AND does good pub food.

HeyDay and Hudson’s are surprisingly great spaces and have surprisingly great menus. Plenty of other really solid entries. Almost everyplace in the district is locally or at least Oklahoman-owned. The overwhelming majority of people in the district over the course of the year are from the greater metro.

Seriously, the “I’m too cool/local/whatever for Bricktown” schtick is really tiresome.

I think I've been to Sussy's once for lunch? I'd go there again, but there are others I'm more interested in.

Blog Entries

Varies for me by season and night of the week and other factors like how late I get home. There are times it's several nights a week and times it's once a month. Once the streetcar is up? Frequency will probably increase. It's a .75-1.5 mile walk depending on where in bricktown. I won't drive so if the timing won't work for a walk, I'll do something closer. I expect the streetcar in some cases to improve the equation.

Unless I am going to an event like a scotch tasting at Mickey Mantles...never at night. Occasionally we either get takeout (more often ) or eat in at Earl's or takeout from the brewery or Chelinos for lunch.

The family and I are in Bricktown fairly often for the movies pretty often, so we stop in at the restaurants surrounding the theatre fairly often. I'm particularly fond of Sussy's. The wife and I can only got out by ourselves every so often, so we usually try a new restaurant than go to somewhere familiar. There are several places in Bricktown that I wouldn't hesitate to go to again, though, if we couldn't decide on a new place or were already in the area.

I would say we tend to walk through Bricktown and grab drinks mostly. Our go to watering hole in Bricktown is SkinnySlims, and we do enjoy grabbing coffee at All About Cha. As for eating, we tend to stick to Midtown or AA, though we can't give up Fuzzy's! The wife also loves Marble Slab on the river. All in all we probably eat and/or drink in Bricktown a number of times throughout the month. Currently we like to park over near Clarity Coffee and walk over to Bricktown, it is neat to stroll through the park and then into Bricktown and back. Cannot wait for the streetcar so we can park up in Midtown and ride it down. Haven't tried taking the Devon Ferry into Bricktown from Meridian, it would be the best option for us, since we come from Yukon.

That new Charleston's (former site of KD's) is very nice and a great setting.

Not nearly as often as I should/almost never - but as others have said - I expect the streetcar to change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ah, I keep forgetting that Charleston's is open. I love Charleston's, always have had good experiences in the past.

The biggest hurdle for us is of course the driving from Yukon and dealing with parking fees. I would rather pay for public transit than to pay for parking.

20. Default Re: Going to Bricktown to eat

Haven't driven there for lunch since Bricktown Burger closed.

So pretty much the only time for me is before the couple of Thunder games I get tickets to a year.

21. Default Re: Going to Bricktown to eat

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Ah, I keep forgetting that Charleston's is open. I love Charleston's, always have had good experiences in the past.

The biggest hurdle for us is of course the driving from Yukon and dealing with parking fees. I would rather pay for public transit than to pay for parking.
    If you are eating at Charleston's - or Toby's, or Earl's, Marble Slab, Fuzzy's, Texadelphia, Sonic, Starbuck's, Sussy's, HeyDay, or seeing a movie at Harkins - parking is provided at no charge. On busy nights you WILL have to get validation.

I don't usually drive there but I'll take a bike ride there maybe once a month when the weather is nice and that's usually just for fuzzy's. I imagine I'll visit more when the streetcar starts running through there

23. Default Re: Going to Bricktown to eat

Maybe 2-3 times per year, usually on a special outing of some sort. Too many good options closer to me to consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We like Charlestons but there are two closer to us than the one in Bricktown. Same with Zio's and Chelinos. There are great options for the other places ( local BBQ joints, Empire for pizza, Ranch for steak and Drake for seafood) that don't require going into bricktown at night. When we go to ball games...our seats are club level so it includes food and drink. Not against Bricktown,,,just isn't on our radar when we think about going out at night, I wonder what they can do marketing wise to put back on the radar for locals.

Work in DD an grab lunch about once every other week. Don't think I've gone to dinner in Bricktown in about a year. Not knocking any of the restaurants, but there have been so many new additions to OKC/Norman recently, and we only have so many evenings out, that we have not had the time to make it to the district.

Thread Information