Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center Garage

Core2shore Convention Center Garage

Two West

5 Stories
    221 Apartments
    Developer: Colony Partners (Ron Bradshaw)
    Architect: ADG

Carlton Residential

5 Stories
    204 Apartments
    Developer: Carlton Development - Dallas
    Architect: BGO

Boulevard Place

8 Stories
    241 Apartments
    Developer: Rose Rock - Tulsa
    Architect: FSB

Farzaneh

5 Stories
    192 Apartments
    Developer: Farzaneh
    Architect: Rand Elliott

Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Are all of these going to be built or are they options the city is considering?

Boulevard place looks awesome. 8 stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Are all of these going to be built or are they options the city is considering?
    They are all responses to a Request for Proposal the city put out.

OCURA will choose one of the concepts/developers from these 4.

Rand Elliott must have drawn up his design on 4-20

Agreed. I think his looks just awful!

Blvd Place has my vote. The design elements of 2West are great, but the general shape of the building is a little strange.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Agreed. I think his looks just awful!
    His may get selected because of who he is, though. Not always what you know, but who you know.

I like Blvd Place for the street level space dedicated to retail....it's what you would want facing the Boulevard, Convention Center, Arena, etc. That, to me, is the most crucial part of their design...the 8 stories is just bonus points.

It looks to me like Boulevard Place has the least amount of frontage on Shields. I'm super excited about it's footprint though. I suppose the lack of development on Shields is a good thing. That could allow a different development there. So overall, this has the smallest land usage, but the biggest footprint.

11. Default Re: Convention Center Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    His may get selected because of who he is, though. Not always what you know, but who you know.
    I’m sorry but this is isn’t remotely true. Even if you believe that projects like this are awarded to “insiders” as opposed to based on merit/fit (they’re not), Rand has no more insider status here than people like Ron Bradshaw, Gary Brooks, or Tim Strange. Some would say less. Beyond that, he is the ARCHITECT on that project, not the developer, who in the case of his proposal is indeed a downtown outsider.

Thanks for the images Pete. Will be interesting how OCURA will choose how will win. Do they have a grading system they will score them on or more just choose who they want? On the Two west complex it says 4 stories but I think it's actually 5. I could be wrong though, it's hard to tell from their images.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Thanks for the images Pete. Will be interesting how OCURA will choose how will win. Do they have a grading system they will score them on or more just choose who they want? On the Two west complex it says 4 stories but I think it's actually 5. I could be wrong though, it's hard to tell from their images.
    You are right!

I changed the post to reflect 5 rather than 4 stories. Thanks for the correction.

I'm also intrigued by the daycare ideas and then a story about these complexes with the daycare as the lead. I wonder if that was something OCURA said they wanted or if they are trying to gauge interest since it's really just spec space.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    I'm also intrigued by the daycare ideas and then a story about these complexes with the daycare as the lead. I wonder if that was something OCURA said they wanted or if they are trying to gauge interest since it's really just spec space.
    From the RFP:

A need for high-quality childcare services in downtown exists. Strong consideration will be given to proposals that incorporate ground floor childcare

^^^ makes sense. Thanks Pete!

Boulevard Place is looking pretty great to me, with Two West coming in second on account of the design accents.

Farzaneh comes in 6th place in a 4 man contest.

I like Two West because it has design elements from the convention center, but at the same time I prefer Boulevard Place because of it being 8 stories rather than 4 or 5.

It's a good sign we have both a Tulsa and Dallas developer making proposals and all 4 are quality submissions.

Really can't lose here.

Two West has my vote. It has some architectural elements of the aloft in DD that I really like. Also, local architect that I really admire (AJ is a friend of mine) and a great local developer in Ron Bradshaw.

Question to whoever knows: I noticed the layout of the parking garage is different for each proposal. Will the awarded contract be for the housing and garage or just the housing?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Boulevard Place is looking pretty great to me, with Two West coming in second on account of the design accents.

Farzaneh comes in 6th place in a 4 man contest.
    Still seems a little high...

How do the finances of this work? Will it do anything to offset the cost of the garage to the city, or will it require more public funds? I'm not necessarily opposed if so as I believe this is an excellent idea for helping to activate the east side of the park, I'm just curious about how much skin we'll collectively have in the game for it.

a couple questions: in the rfp is there a certain amount of these that are supposed to be affordable housing? is it all? I thought i remembered that people were hopeful that parts/all of these would be affordable housing.

also, and this is not at all important, but do the renderings for 2 West even match each other? the 3rd image seems to show a G shaped building, but the 4th image it looks like a 6 with that wing fully connecting back to the west. seems odd?

Blog Entries

If you read Steve's article there's info about the affordable housing percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    also, and this is not at all important, but do the renderings for 2 West even match each other? the 3rd image seems to show a G shaped building, but the 4th image it looks like a 6 with that wing fully connecting back to the west. seems odd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

If you look closely at the "6" if you will, you can see where it connect, there is a pass through that goes to the courtyard. The "G" shows the over head and likely what it would look like if units weren't above the pass through.

Not sure if that makes sense or not...

Thread Information