Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Germany

Default Re: Old Germany

Default Re: Old Germany Restaurant Closing in Choctaw

The Food Dude, in last Thursday's (6-07) Oklahoman said the Oklahoma Tax Commission closed them.

Like so many, I couldn't understand their hard-luck story. Seems like everytime we drove by the parking lot was full, and the Tavern was always busy. And with the prices they charged for Oktoberfesst, with the crowds it pulled in, I couldn't see any way in the world how they could be breaking even/loosing money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    So, I know I'm not in the industry, and I've never owned a restaurant, so I am very likely missing something... but something about this very sudden closure just seems... off. The Turek's owned Old Germany and Turek's Tavern, and operated the Choctaw Oktoberfest, and they're shuttering all three, without any notice - apparently not even to their employees. All three were quite popular, and at least according to Google, even during the week there was a wait at Old Germany (even though the total number of guests during the week was lower than the weekend). Both Google and Facebook show a steady stream of business for Turek's Tavern, too. Oktoberfest regularly pulled 40,000-50,000+ guests out to Choctaw Creek Park every year. The way they make it sound, everything was operating in the red despite it all... it's quite possible that I'm missing something here, but that just doesn't seem to pass the smell test to me. Anyone have any deeper insight here?

Default Re: Old Germany

Tax Commission closure, if true, could mean a couple of things.

Sure, maybe they were making bank and skimmed on their taxes and got caught and shut down. It could also mean that margins were so thin that they had to choose between inventory and payroll or taxes.

Thread Information