Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon Fulfillment

Blog Entries

Default Re: Amazon Fulfillment

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Be thankful. OKC could have got a big ole nothing like many other cities.
    You're right, many other cities got that big ole nothing...

Think about all the cities that completed applications for HQ2. Atlanta has offered over $1 billion in incentives (other cities more): http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...ntives-2017-10

Oklahoma City didn't make the cut; however not so sure we wanted that facility or to impress upon Amazon to consider OKC for other subsidies. We did get some crumbs (warehouse); our location (I-35/I-40 crossroad) & airport played a major role in that.

50,000 jobs? What else will accompany those jobs to the winner who gets this Albatross around its neck.

Did the application fee justify the Amazon Fulfillment facility which may lead to more to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I wish Amazon would stop using USPS. I use Amazon several times a month, and just always have issues with the PO. The one that delivers my mail is the Penn 89th one and it's atrocious. I'm up to 6 packages in the past 6 months where they didn't deliver and held it at the PO, for reasons unknown. I've tried calling them but their location phone rings and rings. I've finally got Amazon on my side cause apparently this is a known issue and we have complaints in that have now reached their 3rd level, whatever the heck that means. I've come to the conclusion that what it is is the lady carrier doesn't want to get out of the truck. If she can cram it in my mailbox, she will, but if she has to drop it at the door, she won't. I got her on camera not even attempting, just driving on with tracking that claims couldn't deliver. The one thing I can hope for with the fulfillment is they do tend to do the next day delivery, and Amazon will contract to local delivery services.
    I'm the same area, and yeah they suck. Sometimes my packages get delivered fine, sometimes we get a notice that they are holding it at the post office and can't deliver. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Blog Entries

Didn't realize we have so many NIMBYs on this board.

There used to be a day when OKC was glad to get a major investment in structure and up to 2,000 jobs and would be happy. Apparently, we don't need any of that any more, from what I am reading. Just more bother than it is worth. This would have been like finding out we were to get a Sears store 75 years ago and complaining about traffic, low pay of clerks, etc. I would have thought this was a good announcement.... guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    huh... i'm pretty sure that i'm served by that same station. my usps amazon packages get delivered ok apart from a couple being slighlty crammed into the mailbox... but for me, it's a pretty regular occurrence to get a whole stack of my neighbors' mail. i've wondered if it was just my carrier but it sounds like the whole station has problems.
    For awhile I thought maybe I got a new carrier. But then I saw her and it's the same lady. I've attempted to talk to her to try and "build" a relationship and she just kind of stares and hasn't said more than a couple words. Seems real put out. I can't tell you how many times she gets off by what seems one mailbox and everyone in the neighborhood gets their neighbors mail.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I'm the same area, and yeah they suck. Sometimes my packages get delivered fine, sometimes we get a notice that they are holding it at the post office and can't deliver. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.
    Yes, it's very frustrating. I get that this PO seems to service a huge area. I mean I'm on the far west side of the airport basically to Mustang, so it's a major pain to go pick up when they refuse to deliver. I've asked and asked why things don't get delivered and no one seems to know the issue. I mentioned earlier I filed a complaint this time with the PO. I'm supposed to hear back and why this issue keeps happening, and might be worthwhile for you to do the same. I Typically use the Wheatland, Mustang, or Airport PO when I need to because all 3 are closer and much better than the Penn 89th. Their Google profile is just littered with people bashing and complaining with the same issues, so you'd think something could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    They will never do that. USPS is significantly cheaper than Fed EX or UPS. The USPS has to go to every mailbox six days a week and they already have that infrasture built up to do that.
    Amazon actually just followed up with me and I asked if there was any way that UPS or Fedex could be the sole carriers for my account. I was told that at this time, that was not an option, but they appreciated the feedback and she would notify their shipping manager because they've had other issues with the postal service.

What that sounds like to me is I'm not the only one complaining, and they may make a change, or at least make it an option to change.

As a normal person it's basically impossible for me to contact the post office and talk with anyone that knows a damn thing about what's going on. But when I called Amazon, she said oh I can get them on the phone, and 3 way called them and got someone who somewhat knew what was going on, and finally got the PO to redeliver my package. Which tells me they pay them to coordinate and have dedicated people in at least some capacity. So if the PO is continuing to screw a simple leave it on the doorstep delivery, I'd bet they will re-evaluate at some point. My guess is eventually they start delivering their own packages.

When you say you filed a complaint with the PO. do you mean the post office itself? Because odds are that won't help...I've had issues in the past and when I bring them to the attention of the local post office, they really don't seem to care. I get the same blank I must be speaking Martian look.

That ended the day I had the tracking info on a package and was home the day it was to be delivered. It was not. Then about half an hour or so later I get the notification that it had. So I called the post office and was told oh well, that happens, he'll probably deliver it tomorrow. I explained no, it already shows delivered, it's not coming tomorrow. They repeated that sometimes this happens, and it'll probably get delivered tomorrow. No, sorry, there's no way to contact them in the field and ask what's going on.

When I reported it to the USPS, however, the story was much different. They opened a mail theft investigation, contacted the local PO (which suddenly decided they can, after all, contact the carrier in the field after all (cell phones having been invented in the last hour or so, apparently)), who contacted the carrier and told him you better find where you delivered this package or we're assuming you delivered it to yourself. Not long after, he showed up with the package and the story that he had accidentally left it a street or two over.

Yeah, whatever, I got the package (that time) but have been on the watch since, and all I can say is based on the daily email with the scan of (some, not all) of the mail to be delivered that day, I'm having a distressing amount of mail going missing. Sometimes it is delivered a day (or two or three) later, sometimes it just simply disappears. I have no way of knowing if it went to someone next door or a street over and they just threw it away (illegal but how the heck you gonna catch them?) or if it's sitting in a big pile of other undelivered mail in a field somewhere.

TL;DR: Calling the post office that dropped the ball is probably not going to get much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That will probably only happen through drones, and Amazon is getting very close to making that happen.

Ironically, that would likely be an issue with this location being so close to the airport.
    That’s not true at all, regarding the drones.

In San Antonio, Amazon offers both Same-Day and One-Day delivery. With a Prime membership, both are free if your order is at least 35 dollars. No drones involved.

Amazon also offers two hour delivery here through their Prime Now service. Though that service has less selection.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    When you say you filed a complaint with the PO. do you mean the post office itself? Because odds are that won't help...I've had issues in the past and when I bring them to the attention of the local post office, they really don't seem to care. I get the same blank I must be speaking Martian look.

That ended the day I had the tracking info on a package and was home the day it was to be delivered. It was not. Then about half an hour or so later I get the notification that it had. So I called the post office and was told oh well, that happens, he'll probably deliver it tomorrow. I explained no, it already shows delivered, it's not coming tomorrow. They repeated that sometimes this happens, and it'll probably get delivered tomorrow. No, sorry, there's no way to contact them in the field and ask what's going on.

When I reported it to the USPS, however, the story was much different. They opened a mail theft investigation, contacted the local PO (which suddenly decided they can, after all, contact the carrier in the field after all (cell phones having been invented in the last hour or so, apparently)), who contacted the carrier and told him you better find where you delivered this package or we're assuming you delivered it to yourself. Not long after, he showed up with the package and the story that he had accidentally left it a street or two over.

Yeah, whatever, I got the package (that time) but have been on the watch since, and all I can say is based on the daily email with the scan of (some, not all) of the mail to be delivered that day, I'm having a distressing amount of mail going missing. Sometimes it is delivered a day (or two or three) later, sometimes it just simply disappears. I have no way of knowing if it went to someone next door or a street over and they just threw it away (illegal but how the heck you gonna catch them?) or if it's sitting in a big pile of other undelivered mail in a field somewhere.

TL;DR: Calling the post office that dropped the ball is probably not going to get much.
    I actually have a complaint with Amazon and with the post office but the complaint was filed with whoever is above the local post offices. I’m doubtful it will amount to much but earlier I did get an email with a confirmation they received my complaint. Time will tell if anything improves.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post

I have thought more about this and it really makes no sense to put it on this end of the development. I counted approximately 60 plus truck loading bays in the sketch of the proposed building. The intersection of I44 and SW 74th has very little traffic other than the community college. There is one apartment complex there. This intersection can handle the influx of trucks and traffic that is coming with this project. The intersection at SW 89th I44 is used more but still nothing like 104th and 119th, (104th is the first street you can travel west past the airport.)

Also, both 74th and 89th onramps have plenty of road between Portland and the ramps to handle the traffic waiting whereas 104th ramp is less than a football field space from Portland which is going to cause major back ups. Not a traffic engineer here but this seems pretty basic

i'm pretty sure the fulfillment center is going just south of 89th so i'd think most of the traffic will be directed there.

i'm pretty sure the fulfillment center is going just south of 89th so i'd think most of the traffic will be directed there.
    There are plans by OkDOT to widen I-44 from I-240 to slightly south of SW 89th from four to six lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    There are plans by OkDOT to widen I-44 from I-240 to slightly south of SW 89th from four to six lanes.

huh... i hadn't heard that and can't find any info on odot's site. i'm sure that it will eventually need to be expanded but right now the four lanes seem to handle traffic just fine.

to me, the biggest issue in that vicinity are the overpasses at 119th and 134th are both only two lanes wide and don't handle traffic flow very well... honestly, that project should've started 10 years ago.

huh... i hadn't heard that and can't find any info on odot's site. i'm sure that it will eventually need to be expanded but right now the four lanes seem to handle traffic just fine.

to me, the biggest issue in that vicinity are the overpasses at 119th and 134th are both only two lanes wide and don't handle traffic flow very well... honestly, that project should've started 10 years ago.
    I went and checked the 8yr plan. Sorry for the misinformation. I had not really looked at it in detail though they do specify a single added lane for SB, I thought it was a full six laning.

I-44: DOWEL BAR RETROFIT AND DIAMOND GRINDING FROM SW 74TH ST, NORTH
    TO THE OKLAHOMA RIVER, ADDED LANE ON SB FROM 0.5 SOUTH OF 74TH ST
    FFY 2019 PAVEMENT REHABILITATION $ 10,100,000

http://www.odot.org/cwp-8-year-plan/...ision4_map.pdf

It doesn't appear to even go to 89th St. I think I got ACOG's plan to widen the freeway confused but that one is not funded. I swear at one point I had seen OkDOT planning to widen I-44 in that area up to 89th. Perhaps it was taken out from the budget cuts, I can't remember.

It appears to be set to go between 89th and 104th. Depending on how they set exits...will go both streets. This is a huge building 2.5 million sq feet with a 2000 person capacity...it will take a lot of space

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I went and checked the 8yr plan. Sorry for the misinformation. I had not really looked at it in detail though they do specify a single added lane for SB, I thought it was a full six laning.
    ahh... I see where you're looking now. actually, I think you were right. it's just that the map you linked doesn't include cleveland county, which starts at 89th street... therefore, the info is on this map:

http://www.odot.org/cwp-8-year-plan/...ision3-map.pdf

I-44 from S. of 89th St. N. to .5 Mi. N. of 89th St.
    FFY 2021 Reconstruct-Added Lanes $ 6,500,000
    FFY 2018 Right Of Way $ 224,170
    FFY 2018 Utilities $ 784,600
    $ 7,508,770

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    It appears to be set to go between 89th and 104th. Depending on how they set exits...will go both streets. This is a huge building 2.5 million sq feet with a 2000 person capacity...it will take a lot of space
    well... yeah... anything south of 89th would, by the laws of euclidian geometry, put it between 89th and 104th. : )

i'm just saying that since it's likely going in closer to 89th, i'd think that truck traffic would likely be routed that way instead of 104th... but obviously i can't say that with 100% certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

There used to be a day when OKC was glad to get a major investment in structure and up to 2,000 jobs and would be happy. Apparently, we don't need any of that any more, from what I am reading. Just more bother than it is worth. This would have been like finding out we were to get a Sears store 75 years ago and complaining about traffic, low pay of clerks, etc. I would have thought this was a good announcement.... guess not.
    i think most of us are pleased with this development, but, at the same time, realistic about Amazon’s severe limitations as a corporate citizen and cognizant of Jeff’s brazen attempts to knock off perfectly good companies in his quest to become America’s Carlos Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

I agree with you. 2,000 jobs and people find something to be negative about, geez

It won't be 2,000 jobs... It will be around 1,500 and likely a little less.

I'll have more on this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I agree with you. 2,000 jobs and people find something to be negative about, geez
    -.-

Saw this stat yesterday and was quite shocked. The median pay at Amazon is not even $28,500, which seems insanely low for a huge tech company. Sure there are some high paid smart folks there but there are way more low paid warehouse workers.

I hope this isn't another WalMart deal where wages are so low that employees need assistance from the social safety net and it winds up costing more than the employment it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Saw this stat yesterday and was quite shocked. The median pay at Amazon is not even $28,500, which seems insanely low for a huge tech company. Sure there are some high paid smart folks there but there are way more low paid warehouse workers.
    Just because the company has cool technology, doesn't mean the company is cool to work for. Bezos is a ruthless titan no different than a Rockefeller or Carnegie. The white collar workers at Amazon are treated like royalty and the blue collar workers are treated like mules. Same story, different industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I hope this isn't another WalMart deal where wages are so low that employees need assistance from the social safety net and it winds up costing more than the employment it provides.
    Great minds.... I just read this and was going to post it. This is not a good set of jobs we're getting.

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/19/...housing-wages/

"Our survey of just six states shows that Amazon ranks in the top 20 employers of SNAP recipients in nearly all of them, and those figures don’t include temp workers who likely rely on the program at even higher rates"

Thread Information