Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classen Inn

SoSA Classen Inn

This little motel has hit the market for sale.

Built in 1962, there are now expensive modern homes all around in the SoSA District.

Motel in Midtown/SoSa area. Possibilities are endless for a renovation or repurposing. Walking distance to restaurants and St Anthonys Hospital. Motel has 19 possible rooms for rent. One office with an extra room. 21 Total Rooms including the office. 10 up and 10 down plus office down. Average room is about 215 Sqft including the bathroom.
    http://portal.ikenex.com/share/ODEwN.../13ba0/4000319

Default Re: Classen Inn

It’s a cute, quirky little motel. Any chance it could be rehabbed like the motel across 23rd Street from OCU?

I lived right down 8th for a while and it draws an 'colorful' clientele.

I'm sure the buyers of those neighboring $800K homes will be happy to see it change hands.

At an under $700,000 price, I bet it will sell in a heartbeat.

Hopefully someone will buy it and do something similar to my favorite place to stay in Austin, The Austin Motel

Blog Entries

How is it zoned? Will it be easy to demo to build another 800K home? That's not what I want, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    How is it zoned? Will it be easy to demo to build another 800K home? That's not what I want, just curious.
    At $92.71 per square foot of land (w/o demo costs), it probably would not be financially feasible.

It's zoned commercial and is barely within the borders of the Downtown Design Review Committee, so nothing can happen here without their approval.

As a reminder, apart from the Plaza commercial strip along NW 16th, there are no design controls (other than a few historic neighborhoods) west of Classen and north of 23rd.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Classen Inn

Reminds me of one of those motels in Fort Worth we attempted to stay during the OU-Texas football game. When we questioned the clerk; we were told that they had something for a couple of hours; plus a girl came with each room--$50 an hour.

The Classen Motel Inn in the past (60s-90s) use to have quite a reputation where men brought their mistresses. Don't know much about it now since its remodel; however there are ways to find out.

I love this building. It would be great to see it upgraded and remain a motel. If it could be upgraded to fetch at least $80 a night, it would keep out the "No-tell motel" crowd and actually be a positive influence on the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I love this building. It would be great to see it upgraded and remain a motel. If it could be upgraded to fetch at least $80 a night, it would keep out the "No-tell motel" crowd and actually be a positive influence on the neighborhood.
    Yeah and if the buyer could acquire the empty lot behind it (if it’s still empty) they could add a pool and additional facilities to help upgrade the motel. If they can do that, it could end up even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah and if the buyer could acquire the empty lot behind it (if it’s still empty) they could add a pool and additional facilities to help upgrade the motel. If they can do that, it could end up even cooler.
    There is now a pool there and large yard that is owned by the people with the modern home directly to the east.

So, no place for this place to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is now a pool there and large yard that is owned by the people with the modern home directly to the east.

So, no place for this place to expand.
    Yep, you're right. The new google earth imagery caught that. Hadn't checked since they updated it.

Classen Inn sold to Steve Mason with plans to renovate 60's charm and keep as a hotel:

http://newsok.com/new-owners-plan-to...rticle/5594637

Blog Entries

Makes sense, around the corner from his house/in his neighborhood.

That’s really good news. This really needed to stay a hotel.

I have zero original ideas! Who knew there were so many other people in this town plotting to do exactly what is being done with this little gem? Super excited that Steve Mason got this; he will do a fantastic job. We have become a city where a lot of people "get it." Back in the early 1990s there weren't enough people here who did. So many good things happening right now in OKC.

Update on this project: It is still moving forward it's just that Steve Mason has his hands full with other projects right now.

They will be modeling it after the Austin Motel in Austin:

Ksearls, you got your wish

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    Ksearls, you got your wish
    Yay! I'm sure they will do an excellent job. It's got great bones.

Love Austin motel.. when I passed Classen yesterday I was thinking on this project again. I can't wait to see it come to life. will be cool spot!

Blog Entries

Work is set to start; sign will be resotred.

Will they have additional parking somewhere? I count 18 rooms and ten spots. (plus one handicap spot)

I assume people will have to park on 8th.

Thread Information