Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Default Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Good, it's very comfortable to do about 80-85 between OKC and tulsa without realizing it.

Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

The majority is driving 80 already, have been for years.

Looks like the bill also allows for raising the speed limit on other highways. Good. Get I35 up to 75 like KS and TX already have

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Looks like the bill also allows for raising the speed limit on other highways. Good. Get I35 up to 75 like KS and TX already have
    Where do you see that? (I thought that was already allowed)

http://newsok.com/article/5497044

Specifically:

'The maximum speed limit of 70 miles per hour on four-lane divided highways and 65 miles per hour for other location also would be stricken from the bill. Instead, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation would be able to set maximum speeds based on engineering studies used to determine a speed that is "reasonable and safe under the conditions." '

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    http://newsok.com/article/5497044

Specifically:

'The maximum speed limit of 70 miles per hour on four-lane divided highways and 65 miles per hour for other location also would be stricken from the bill. Instead, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation would be able to set maximum speeds based on engineering studies used to determine a speed that is "reasonable and safe under the conditions." '
    That is from May 2016

well, i guess if you're into reading comprehension, than yeah, that might be important. (facepalm emoji)

This will be interesting. There are congressmen actively talking about passing laws to limit a semi truck to 65mph. Some companies have started to govern their trucks to less than 65 right now. You would think it would be safer that the flow of traffic goes around the same speed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    This will be interesting. There are congressmen actively talking about passing laws to limit a semi truck to 65mph. Some companies have started to govern their trucks to less than 65 right now. You would think it would be safer that the flow of traffic goes around the same speed.
    Not sure I can agree with our lawmakers with this one. I'd rather a "trucks right lane only" law. Of course, that would not be effective on the current turnpike because of it only being 2 lanes. If we had 3 lanes the whole way (which I think will eventually happen) it would be the right course of action. I hate getting behind 2 trucks that take 5 miles to pass each other because one is going 65 and the other 64.

11. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Not sure I can agree with our lawmakers with this one. I'd rather a "trucks right lane only" law. Of course, that would not be effective on the current turnpike because of it only being 2 lanes. If we had 3 lanes the whole way (which I think will eventually happen) it would be the right course of action. I hate getting behind 2 trucks that take 5 miles to pass each other because one is going 65 and the other 64.
    This happened to me yesterday. All the way from the Newcastle tollbooth to the Chickasha McDonald's at 60-65 MPH. After about 3 miles I decided to just go with it and accept I was going to be a little late. But it was still incredibly irritating. When I did pass them I saw both trucks/trailers were from the same company.

This bill is coming through again. I really really hope this actually happens this time around.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/photovide...3ade0cd.html#1

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This bill is coming through again. I really really hope this actually happens this time around.

I was wondering what happened. Hope it goes through, the “closer” Tulsa and OKC are by travel time the more their economic powers can feed off each other and form a more powerful Oklahoma.

I’m still a bit confused on the recent speed limit increase bills. So for some reason I thought speed limits were going up on non toll roads as well. I guess those didn’t go through or toll roads were abscent from that bill so it only applies to OkDOT controlled roads.

I always thought that toll roads have more leeway with speed limits, since funding for upkeep and repairs isn't depending on federal funding.

If they do increase the speed limit more, they really need to do something about completely eliminating the possibility of crossing the median. I understand that the Highway Patrol wants points to cross from one side to the other, but it seems that the most lethal wrecks always come from someone trying to turn around.

Put up an automated ticketing system with cameras.

NO!

Once you allow even one video ticket system its all downhill from there. Next thing they use this to justify doing it at intersections and other areas.

I am 100% against any automated ticketing system!

I do like hearing speed limits maybe going up.

That won't stop it from happening...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    That won't stop it from happening...
    Perhaps gates then.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    NO!

Once you allow even one video ticket system its all downhill from there. Next thing they use this to justify doing it at intersections and other areas.

That’s true. I can’t say I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    NO!

Not to mention the fact that most of these virtual ticketing systems are making the private operators rich. In states which have the red light cameras, drivers often do unsafe things in order to in their minds, not run the light. In some cases, operators have been found to be fudging the facts in order to produce more tickets. Nothing good can come from for-profit policing.

I’m still a bit confused on the recent speed limit increase bills. So for some reason I thought speed limits were going up on non toll roads as well. I guess those didn’t go through or toll roads were absent from that bill so it only applies to OkDOT controlled roads.
    HB1071 amends existing law to mandate an 80 m.p.h. speed limit on any OK toll road not inside a municipality city limits. No mention of any other speed limit changes in that bill.

^^^ that would be very nice! So that applies to Indian toll roads as well?

24. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Which are you referring to? When I click your link it gives the entire article with multiple bill descriptions.

25. Default Re: Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    HB1071 amends existing law to mandate an 80 m.p.h. speed limit on any OK toll road not inside a municipality city limits. No mention of any other speed limit changes in that bill.
    Love this one. It should be true on any of the interstates outside city limits, too.

Thread Information