Widgets Magazine

Thread: Colonial Center

Northwest OKC Colonial Center

They are in the process of demolishing the old Bank of America building directly west of the Garage at Britton and May.

Plans show a retail center to be built in its place.

2. Default Re: Colonial Center

Trying to remember which bank that was originally, or at least when I moved here in the 80s. I seem to recall a specific bank had that pseudo-colonial style of building. Maybe an S&L..? Was it Sooner?

Default Re: Colonial Center

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Trying to remember which bank that was originally, or at least when I moved here in the 80s. I seem to recall a specific bank had that pseudo-colonial style of building. Maybe an S&L..? Was it Sooner?
    Started as Village Bank, I believe, then Commerce Bank, then Bank of America, but not totally sure if there was anything between Commerce and BofA. I worked in that bldg as a teller in the early 80s for a few years during the Village and Commerce time, at the walk-up window mainly.

^

It was Boatman's Bank in the early 90's before it became a BofA.

If I'm interpreting those plans correctly, it looks like a new location for Tide Dry Cleaners is on the eastern end there. Interesting to see them expand with another store in the metro. I know they're pretty popular elsewhere, but so far we've only had one location at NW 164th and Western

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    If I'm interpreting those plans correctly, it looks like a new location for Tide Dry Cleaners is on the eastern end there. Interesting to see them expand with another store in the metro. I know they're pretty popular elsewhere, but so far we've only had one location at NW 164th and Western
    There's one at SW 104th and Penn as well, in the same center as the ill fated Donut Taco store.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    You can go on google maps and see the rendering posted out in front of the building, and the easternmost block has a 'Cleaners' sign on it so i'm guessing you're correct. Or at least that's always been the plan.

There should also be a Little Caesar's to compete with Papa Murphy's and Marco's on that same corner, as well as a nail salon to compete with the other 2 or 3 on that corner, and a donut shop to compete with the Dunkin just up May Ave a few blocks.

Also, ISTR it was a Founders Bank branch after Village and Commerce, but before Boatman's and BofA.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    There should also be a Little Caesar's to compete with Papa Murphy's and Marco's on that same corner, as well as a nail salon to compete with the other 2 or 3 on that corner, and a donut shop to compete with the Dunkin just up May Ave a few blocks.

Also, ISTR it was a Founders Bank branch after Village and Commerce, but before Boatman's and BofA.
    Papa Murphy's is no more

I've been a reader, decided I would post. I believe those colonial style bank branches were built for Continental Federal Savings & Loan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Papa Murphy's is no more
    Isn’t Papa Murphey’s just a half block north of Britton on May?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, it was at 9501 N. May Ave. That location has closed. I always thought it did pretty well but for whatever reason they shut it down. Yelp reports it as a permanent closure and it's been removed from the Papa Murphy's website.

You know, I should have made myself clearer. The location is still on the website on a link from Google but if you do a search on the site itself, it's no longer shown.

That particular location has closed (or relocated, but not to my knowledge).

They closed it down about a month ago or so. There's a location up north of Memorial on May (next to Tuckers) still. I was in the Village location once and a person came in with a coupon they'd gotten in the mail and the guy working (manager?) said something about asking the regional folks to quit sending out these coupons because they were putting him out of business.

There is however a new Little Caesars a mile west on Britton

Maybe it's just me but it kind of looks like they're replacing the building with the same building, or at least one with the same roof.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Maybe it's just me but it kind of looks like they're replacing the building with the same building, or at least one with the same roof.
    I thought they were just taking down the drive thru bay and adding onto the existing building when the signs went up outside. I had to look really closely at the renderings that Pete posted to tell that they were subtly different

Looking at satellite imagery, why was The Garage not required to install sidewalks when they remodeled the building they're in? Is that for new construction only? If so, they need to change that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Papa Murphy's is no more
    In the last 3 months, Pap Murphys closed a number of locations. The one on NW Expressway just west of MacArthur closed with no notice. Now we have to drive to 30th and Rockwell or Hefner and Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Looking at satellite imagery, why was The Garage not required to install sidewalks when they remodeled the building they're in? Is that for new construction only? If so, they need to change that rule.
    No idea but it makes sense that it would only be for new construction. For a while, there was a big 'Coming Soon! MAPS3 Sidewalk' sign on May right next to the Garage and I was looking forward to not having to run through the parking lot when I go south for a run. Then the sign disappeared. I contacted the MAPS program to see if they were still planning on putting sidewalks in along May, and they said the sign had been put there in error, that there were sidewalks there in the master plan but they weren't funded yet.

Thread Information