Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Indigo

Deep Deuce Hotel Indigo

Deep Deuce to get OKC's first Hotel Indigo

Plans have been submitted for a 6-story Hotel Indigo, the boutique brand from Intercontinental Hotels Group (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, others).

Hotelier Atul Patel first proposed a Springhill Suites on this Deep Deuce vacant lot directly across from The Hill condominiums at 330 NE 1st, but received push-back by area residents before building the Springhill that opened last fall in east Bricktown.

This would be the first Hotel Indigo in Oklahoma and the high-style brand most often competes with W Hotels, Aloft and Le Meridien.

The design by Parekh Architects is described in their submission as attempting to fit into the immediate neighborhood by invoking its history and character.

The 135 rooms will sit atop one level of basement parking, then the hotel space on the 1st and 2nd levels will share with a covered parking structure.

On top of the parking garage on the 3rd level, there would be a large outdoor patio and bar.

Levels 4 through 6 would all be guest rooms.

Hotel Indigo guestrooms feature murals, area rugs, duvets and slipcovers that change periodically.

After having only 1 hotel in the urban core in 2000, Hotel Indigo would be the 26th hotel in Central OKC. See our comprehensive Downtown Hotel Summary for a full break-down.

Default Re: Hotel Indigo

6 stories is about the perfect height for this "transition" lot for DD/BT.

Thumbs up!

This looks fantastic, though I can't quite place the angle of that rendering and the buildings in the background.

What a great fill-in development.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This looks fantastic, though I can't quite place the angle of that rendering and the buildings in the background.

What a great fill-in development.
    Those adjacent buildings in the rendering are fictitious.

To the south is the old RR tracks which will stay undeveloped. To the west is a parking lot for a law firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Those adjacent buildings in the rendering are fictitious.

To the south is the old RR tracks which will stay undeveloped. To the west is a parking lot for a law firm.
    Yeah, I looked up the location on Street View and there's very much nothing there. 400 NE 1st St

Pretty prime lot for something.

6. Default Re: Hotel Indigo

The design looks pretty nice and district-appropriate. If I could add anything i would love to see hard canopies extending over the sidewalk. Especially since that eastern frontage - which shows to be home to the breakfast area - is going to be absolutely blasted by the morning sunlight. I'd rather see canopies than dark tint and/or blinds.

Blog Entries

Do we think this will get the same pushback that the previously proposed hotel in this spot got?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Do we think this will get the same pushback that the previously proposed hotel in this spot got?
    I'm sure the people in The Hill that live directly east will not like having their view blocked, but that argument has proven to fall on deaf ears at design review.

9. Default Re: Hotel Indigo

Even though the previous Springhill design wasn't great, I think the neighborhood pushback was hiding behind the design argument and was actually more about the fact that it was a hotel, which is not a legitimate concern. Will be interesting to see if neighborhood pushes back against this one, which is a pretty nice design and a very appropriate land use.

So are posts deleted on this forum or is their a glitch.

swake was just pointing out the current Indigo Hotel in Tulsa's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Even though the previous Springhill design wasn't great, I think the neighborhood pushback was hiding behind the design argument and was actually more about the fact that it was a hotel, which is not a legitimate concern. Will be interesting to see if neighborhood pushes back against this one, which is a pretty nice design and a very appropriate land use.
    I spoke at the DDRC against the last planned hotel because, if you remember, it had blue and gold EIFS over a significant part of the exterior, as well as surface parking. I live in Deep Deuce, albeit not in the Hill, and find nothing objectionable about the current design. Perhaps people who live in the Hill don’t want a hotel, but they already essentially have two. I suspect they’re more interested in a quality design than use for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So are posts deleted on this forum or is their a glitch.

swake was just pointing out the current Indigo Hotel in Tulsa's progress.
    I deleted them because I corrected my story about it being the first in OK vs. OKC.

Feel free to post them on the Tulsa forum / threads.

13. Default Re: Hotel Indigo

Oh this IS great infill and perfect location, right next to the Hill townhomes - great GET!! and wonderful design (hoping for retail on the bottom though).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I deleted them because I corrected my story about it being the first in OK vs. OKC.

Feel free to post them on the Tulsa forum / threads.
    No prob. It just caught my eye when the photo was missing.

I was going to make a comment that while I understand Bricktown is "happening", there seems to be an inordinate amount of hotels in the area. This will be the 10th by my count in a pretty condensed area.

15. Default Re: Hotel Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I spoke at the DDRC against the last planned hotel because, if you remember, it had blue and gold EIFS over a significant part of the exterior, as well as surface parking. I live in Deep Deuce, albeit not in the Hill, and find nothing objectionable about the current design. Perhaps people who live in the Hill don’t want a hotel, but they already essentially have two. I suspect they’re more interested in a quality design than use for the site.
    Excuse me. I should have said "PRIMARILY hiding behind the design argument." I didn't intend to leave no room for there to have been legitimate design complaints because the previous design WAS pretty uninspired (and straight-up bad in some ways, as you point out). But I do believe that for many the real concern was not wanting a hotel (or really, a non-residential use) across the street.

16. Default Re: Hotel Indigo

Not to be "that" guy but sometimes you have to have some foresight that maybe the empty lot across the street MIGHT get developed at some point and your view might go away.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Not to be "that" guy but sometimes you have to have some foresight that maybe the empty lot across the street MIGHT get developed at some point and your view might go away.
    Go ahead. Be "that guy." That guy is correct.

I really like this design, but looking at the map of all the surrounding structures it's hard to imagine how it will truly standout when everything is basically the same height. Really wish we could get more 10-15 floor hotels with these cool designs. If even just 3-4 in the downtown area.

I'm not super crazy about the design. It looks nice. But look at the street interaction. Huge cinderblock 2 story walls. Very intimidating to walk by.

20. Default Re: Hotel Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Hey you're preaching to the choir.

The design committees have not been at all sympathetic to the "block my view" arguments.

I'm sure it will be raised but it's highly unlikely that will have any impact on approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Excuse me. I should have said "PRIMARILY hiding behind the design argument." I didn't intend to leave no room for there to have been legitimate design complaints because the previous design WAS pretty uninspired (and straight-up bad in some ways, as you point out). But I do believe that for many the real concern was not wanting a hotel (or really, a non-residential use) across the street.
    You might be right about them not wanting a hotel across the street, but I don’t think that argument works well in an urban environment. The last design was ugly enough that I don’t think it had to be raised, nor do I remember it being raised at the meeting. It is true that a few loud voices can impact decision-making, but I’m not sure that argument holds much weight..

Any update on this?

approved at DDRC today.

Blog Entries

Do you know if there were any material changes from the renderings last posted here?

Thread Information