Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I'm sure someone else can get more into the science but basically it has to do with the Great Plains being on the dry side of the Rocky Mountains until you get far enough east where the Gulf of Mexico can provide moisture for storm systems moving west to east. This map shows this pretty well:

Notice the higher totals in SE OK and SW AR where the higher elevations enhance precip.
    I would've thought that lake effect snowfall would be reflected on the eastern shores of Lakes Michigan & Erie.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    I would've thought that lake effect snowfall would be reflected on the eastern shores of Lakes Michigan & Erie.
    The liquid equivalent of snow is actually pretty low. Denver averages 60+ inches of snow a year but only 18 inches of precip.

The western micro-climates are really interesting where there can be pockets of high precip areas surrounded by desert. Look at that stark divide between the San Luis Valley and the San Juan Mountains in Colorado.

The same map is also a contributor for the severe weather in our area as well, isn’t it?

Dry hot air from the plains meeting the moist air from the gulf, setting up the unstable mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I think Venture moved to Ohio or something? Not exactly sure where.

BG918 is pretty much correct. Storm systems don't tap into the juicy stuff until further east. Also storms that do develop across the western sides of the state and into Texas are usually the first time they're developing. And storms by nature are obviously more isolated @ initial development. This is why severe storms here are more the norm, isolated storms have much more potential for becoming severe than when they eventually develop into a large MCS and just become a huge line or bulb of rain and storms. Next time there is severe weather across C OK, watch how it evolves as it heads east eventually into Arkansas and Missouri where it just becomes a large mess of rain and storms as opposed to very localized supercells.
    Surely, helps explain why Tulsa is bothered less by extreme tornadoes. Storms have peaked out after crossing I-35 from no longer having the afternoon heat to maintain peak strength.

A very loud not very wet storm just rolled through Harrah. Haven't heard that much thunder in a long time! Didn't hardly drop a thing though.

I was scratching my head yesterday when KOCO 5 kept blaring the severe storm warning and Damon Lane kept breaking in to update severe storms that were affecting the Red river counties. I'm pretty sure that KOCO's broadcast radius falls way short of Texoma and is technically KSWO's stomping grounds.

7. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I was scratching my head yesterday when KOCO 5 kept blaring the severe storm warning and Damon Lane kept breaking in to update severe storms that were affecting the Red river counties. I'm pretty sure that KOCO's broadcast radius falls way short of Texoma and is technically KSWO's stomping grounds.
    I know people down there using satellite will use a relative/friends address in the OKC viewing area to get OKC's local channels instead of the Texoma channels.

I do not know why KOCO did that either, Brett, unless it's a satellite deal like BBQ said.

I live in Duncan, Oklahoma. Cox Cable is the provider here. I have been very dissatisfied with them since they have completely taken away all OKC channels. We now only have KSWO/ABC out of Lawton (not the best weather coverage) and the other stations come out of Wichita Falls/NBC, CBS, FOX, as far a local weather and news coverage is concerned. I always used OKC stations for weather coverage since I have relatives living there and felt OKC weather people were much more up-to-date with coverage. Besides, I live in Oklahoma, not Texas, so I want to support Oklahoma stations. This storm season is going to be interesting as far a getting timely information. At least I have OKC talk to get some weather info.

9. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
    I do not know why KOCO did that either, Brett, unless it's a satellite deal like BBQ said.

I live in Duncan, Oklahoma. Cox Cable is the provider here. I have been very dissatisfied with them since they have completely taken away all OKC channels. We now only have KSWO/ABC out of Lawton (not the best weather coverage) and the other stations come out of Wichita Falls/NBC, CBS, FOX, as far a local weather and news coverage is concerned. I always used OKC stations for weather coverage since I have relatives living there and felt OKC weather people were much more up-to-date with coverage. Besides, I live in Oklahoma, not Texas, so I want to support Oklahoma stations. This storm season is going to be interesting as far a getting timely information. At least I have OKC talk to get some weather info.
    I know it's not quite the same, but all of the OKC affiliates stream their severe weather coverage live on their websites, so you can get info that way.

We should see storms develop this afternoon either directly over the I-44 corridor or just south and east of it. Main threat is heavy rain and hail. Tornado threat will be low.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I know it's not quite the same, but all of the OKC affiliates stream their severe weather coverage live on their websites, so you can get info that way.
    I am sorry. I made a mistake. Cable One is the cable provider here in Duncan. I guess I was thinking of my relatives who have Cox Cable.

Thanks, Celebrator, for the reminder about the websites.

After initial round of storms, there will be a break into the night until heading toward the early Tuesday morning hours when storms will redevelop and be more widespread. Development areas again being along and just east of I-44.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch is out for basically south-central OK.

After initial round of storms, there will be a break into the night until heading toward the early Tuesday morning hours when storms will redevelop and be more widespread. Development areas again being along and just east of I-44.

Ooh. If this forecast verifies, that will be a nice drink of water for most of the state, especially the 2"-3" along the I-44 corridor. Hope we do see this!

The WX Stuff site is up and running and the chat room is working if anyone wants to hop over there during the event to chat like we used to during severe events.

http://www.wxstuff.com/index.php?r=s...3-36e151145638

Just east of I-44 won the rain lottery. Rest of state will have a chance @ a little more late Tuesday night into Wednesday.

Hopefully the next round of storms will focus more on central Oklahoma.

Looking at the long range forecast, it appears this is going to be one of those years that winter refuses to leave.

Anyone down for a winter storm this next weekend?

GFS and Canadian models are.

20. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February and March 2018

As long as it stays north of Grady County I'm good with it..... It's been 3 years since I've gotten sandhill plums from my friends homestead in Alex and I'm really craving some plum cake.... A winter storm will wipe out his crop again!

Where are you seeing this? What time during the weekend is it showing to start? I have to drive up to Woodward Friday afternoon, and then I'm traveling down to Galveston that same day.

Thread Information