Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toys"R"Us

Default Re: Toys-R-US Closing OK Stores

The entire chain -- 800 stores -- is closing:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/14/news...res/index.html

Anyone holding gift cards, get in there right now and try to use them.

very sad - we got eclipse glasses from there - impossible to find otherwise!

Babies R Us will also close. With local shops Storkland and Uptown Kids having closed within the last year, this will leave Green Bambino and a few used/consignment shops left as the only retail selling baby supplies exclusively. I expect the shopping will just push to Target, Walmart and Amazon, but I would like to see Buy Buy Baby, owned by Bed Bath & Beyond, put a store here.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Anyone holding gift cards, get in there right now and try to use them.
    If individual stores start selling out to liquidators individually, you probably won't be able to use them (at those locations).

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    If individual stores start selling out to liquidators individually, you probably won't be able to use them (at those locations).
    That's why sitting on them is a very very bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    Babies R Us will also close. With local shops Storkland and Uptown Kids having closed within the last year, this will leave Green Bambino and a few used/consignment shops left as the only retail selling baby supplies exclusively. I expect the shopping will just push to Target, Walmart and Amazon, but I would like to see Buy Buy Baby, owned by Bed Bath & Beyond, put a store here.
    Luckily we are just about the out grow the Babies R Us age with DD, but it would be horrible to have be having a kid in OKC after BRU closes, there are just really no other place to look at/get decent baby gear in the metro. I personally hope and think someone will buy up BRU in the fire sale. If not, hopefully Buy Buy Baby comes soon, but they like putting them in next to Bed Bath & Beyond, and I don't think they like any of their options here without moving the BB&B as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Luckily we are just about the out grow the Babies R Us age with DD, but it would be horrible to have be having a kid in OKC after BRU closes, there are just really no other place to look at/get decent baby gear in the metro. I personally hope and think someone will buy up BRU in the fire sale. If not, hopefully Buy Buy Baby comes soon, but they like putting them in next to Bed Bath & Beyond, and I don't think they like any of their options here without moving the BB&B as well.
    Babies R Us seems like too large of a box store for someone to want to buy plus it won't have the Toys r Us distribution system. With Babies R Us out of the market, that may entice other players to enter or expand their operations. I think Amazon needs a showroom type of store.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    That is what happened in Tulsa. Bed Bath moved east on 71st and simultaneously opened a Buy Buy Baby right next door.

Personally I think Babies R Us lost its way a while ago. I still have a 1 year old in the house and haven't been in over 3 years. There are better options out there. Same for Toys R Us. It is sad to see them go, but will not effect our lives one little bit.

Default Re: Toys"R"Us

I know it's early in the game, but any guesses on what will happen to the four OKC locations? 3 out of 4 are in heavily occupied shopping centers. It would seem both Belle Isle and Quail Springs would find tenants quickly assuming they purchase the store from Toys R Us?

As mentioned above, Bed Bath and Beyond may try to expand their Buy Buy Baby Brand to OKC. I could also see Hobby Lobby purchasing the location at Penn and Memorial and launching another Mardel since Hobby Lobby and Hemispheres are basically in the same parking lot. More 24 hour mega-gyms? Sporting Goods Stores?

Babies R Us - Belle Isle
    Toys R Us Quail Springs - Penn and Memorial
    Toys R Us Crossroads - I35 and SE 66th
    Toys R Us Norman - Ed Noble Parkway

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I know it's early in the game, but any guesses on what will happen to the four OKC locations? 3 out of 4 are in heavily occupied shopping centers. It would seem both Belle Isle and Quail Springs would find tenants quickly assuming they purchase the store from Toys R Us?

As mentioned above, Bed Bath and Beyond may try to expand their Buy Buy Baby Brand to OKC. I could also see Hobby Lobby purchasing the location at Penn and Memorial and launching another Mardel since Hobby Lobby and Hemispheres are basically in the same parking lot. More 24 hour mega-gyms? Sporting Goods Stores?

Babies R Us - Belle Isle
    Toys R Us Quail Springs - Penn and Memorial
    Toys R Us Crossroads - I35 and SE 66th
    Toys R Us Norman - Ed Noble Parkway
    I know the crossroads location isn't going to find a new tenant anytime soon. Ed noble probably won't either. If Hobby Lobby wanted another Mardel they would continue the least at the location their about to leave. I don't think Mardel is really a money maker for Hobby Lobby.

The Hobby Lobby at Quail Springs is also moving out of their current location, so It seems like it would make sense for them to move a Mardel into the old store if they wanted one there.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    The Hobby Lobby at Quail Springs is also moving out of their current location, so It seems like it would make sense for them to move a Mardel into the old store if they wanted one there.
    I must have missed that from a previous post that Hobby Lobby is moving into the old Gordman's location, adjacent to Best Buy and will have visibility along Memorial Road and the Kilpatrick Turnpike, though the square footage between the two stores will remain about the same.

http://newsok.com/article/5578279/ho...oma-city-store

September 2018 is the anticipated move, which means the strip center they are currently located in, may have two giant vacancies with Toys R Us and Hobby Lobby both leaving soon.

I was intrigued by the news that there is a chance that KayBee Toys may emerge from Toys R' Us' ashes. I wonder what the likelihood is that Oklahoma City would see one of these pop-up. It was never on par with Toys R Us' size, but would fill a void left by their departure where some toys just don't exist in other retailers. Here is a link to the article: http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/20/news...-us/index.html.

Another potential buyer enters the fracas.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...NlL?li=BBnb7Kz

NEW YORK — Toy company executive Isaac Larian and other investors have pledged a total of $200 million and hope to raise four times that amount in crowdfunding in a bid to save potentially more than half of the 735 Toys R Us stores that will go dark in bankruptcy proceedings.

Sad news for all. Even though he was 94, the bankruptcy of his company could not have helped his well being.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ler-dies-at-94

Went to the Quail Springs store today to pick up some things for my wife’s office.

They have the huge “EVERYTHING up to 30% OFF” banners hanging everywhere. The only thing I noticed at 30% was wrapping paper and paper gift bags. Everything else was 10%, with some stuff still at 5%.

Even in death, it was just a perfect reminder of why the business failed.

The other ones were that way, too. The "up to" was tiny and going inside just led to aisles of disappointment.

I always thought the company grew bigger than its footprint allowed. They would have been better off keeping the stores to one or two in each state to make it more of a destination if they weren't going to keep their prices lower.

Jompster, if this deal happens what you said might end up happening minus the less locations or not, the details still seem foggy.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...479746933.html

Thread Information