Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC bus stops

Default OKC bus stops

why is there such a huge disparity in the different bus stops scattered throughout the metro's bus rout network?
    in some areas the bus stops look nice, elaborate, intentionally designed and clean whereas in other areas there is not
    even a bench to sit on. I have seen bus stops in the middle of a grassy area and the only way to know there is a bus stop
    is because of the metal post with the little sign. In other areas with a more urban vibe the bus stop is a neatly packaged
    cubicle that protects from sun, wind and rain. do businesses sponsor their local bus stops and that is why some are nice
    and some are lacking; or does the bus company embark have any say in the matter???

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC bus stops

they're working on it but "they" is still tyler media I believe. several stops have been replaced in the last couple years but it's slow going. I don't have details on that, but I mostly wanted to say that DowntownOKC is working on a project that will replace ALL of the downtown bus stops (that have benches) with integrated public art.

There is a bus stop in front of one of my works locations and whenever there is heavy rain the bench looks like it's sitting in the middle of a pond. We called the city about this and their response was basically, what do you want us to do about it. We ended up just moving the bench further down so people could actually use it.

We've been trying to get the city to move the stop in general. It's really close to our entrance and customers complain constantly because people will be standing in the entrance because of where the stop is located. On top of that we've had to lock every outlet because people think it's acceptable to charge their phone. I'm amazed at what people just assume is theirs to use.

Accessibility of the stops on the south side is bad. Specifically, on Western below Sky Ranch Elementary and almost the entirety of 104th from Western to Santa Fe, every stop is in the grass and the curbs are high enough even a person like myself with good upper body strength has difficulties getting over.

Also, on the 240 Service Road/SW 74th Street, the same issues exist, both directions almost along the entire service road. These are things I hope to work towards changing over my next umpteen years here in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by JMoses3318 View Post
    Accessibility of the stops on the south side is bad. Specifically, on Western below Sky Ranch Elementary and almost the entirety of 104th from Western to Santa Fe, every stop is in the grass and the curbs are high enough even a person like myself with good upper body strength has difficulties getting over.

Also, on the 240 Service Road/SW 74th Street, the same issues exist, both directions almost along the entire service road. These are things I hope to work towards changing over my next umpteen years here in OKC.
    Power to ya, good luck, our bus stops are shameful and embarrassing and drastically need something done to them. I thought there were some that were getting updated, but if so, they're probably some of the more visible ones in the more heavily traveled areas. OKC has been very neglectful of huge swaths of the city as far as bus stops, road work, repaving, sidewalks, road-line-painting, etc. Hoping that might change and the next MAPS might be more transportation-related and they do things *the right way*.

it would probably be good to have a compilation of the different bus stops throughout the route network, that way we can compare and contrast the whole spectrum from really urban ones to the neglected ones. i will see if i can start taking photographs and begin documenting and forming a map diagram with them just to experiment.

Well, take heart that transit stops are hardly an isolated issue in Oklahoma—there are a number of subway stations in NYC that still have underground spring damage that I saw when I was there through the mid to late 1980s.

Anyway, our bus system is slowly but definitely surely improvinh. It's way ahead of where it was even five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Power to ya, good luck, our bus stops are shameful and embarrassing and drastically need something done to them. I thought there were some that were getting updated, but if so, they're probably some of the more visible ones in the more heavily traveled areas. OKC has been very neglectful of huge swaths of the city as far as bus stops, road work, repaving, sidewalks, road-line-painting, etc. Hoping that might change and the next MAPS might be more transportation-related and they do things *the right way*.
    Actually, one of the stops I mentioned is getting some improvements in coming months, with sidewalks that will connect to a boarding pad at SW 100th & Western. It's all about being an advocate.

Thread Information