Widgets Magazine

Thread: Factory Obscura

Auto Alley Factory Obscura

Last summer our family was in St. Louis and we visited the City Museum. https://www.citymuseum.org/
    Our kids were over the moon as they explored this amazing museum. It was 10 stories of eye candy and sensory overload. I thought that if only Oklahoma City had something like this. Well, this week, I took the family to check out an exhibit at 12th and Penn put on by Factory Obscura. It was a fraction of the size, but had much of the same feel as City Museum. Based off of their flyer and they lady I spoke with, they are looking to build a permanent 50,000 sq ft location near downtown in 2020. Anyone else heard about this? The lady I spoke with said they are looking on the west side of downtown.

Default Re: Factory Obscura

Was that Saturday afternoon? Drove by a studio around there and saw a huge line.

Quote Originally Posted by grandshoemaster View Post
    Last summer our family was in St. Louis and we visited the City Museum. https://www.citymuseum.org/
    Our kids were over the moon as they explored this amazing museum. It was 10 stories of eye candy and sensory overload. I thought that if only Oklahoma City had something like this. Well, this week, I took the family to check out an exhibit at 12th and Penn put on by Factory Obscura. It was a fraction of the size, but had much of the same feel as City Museum. Based off of their flyer and they lady I spoke with, they are looking to build a permanent 50,000 sq ft location near downtown in 2020. Anyone else heard about this? The lady I spoke with said they are looking on the west side of downtown.
    That is what I have heard as well and that would be awesome. The exhibit is pretty engaging even at its current size. 50k square feet of it would be amazing.

I've heard very good things. Have heard it described as being similar to Meow Wolf in Santa Fe, which is a very good compliment. Hopefully the word continues to get out. Here's a link to their website: https://www.currentstudio.org/factory-obscura/

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Was that Saturday afternoon? Drove by a studio around there and saw a huge line.
    Yes, I think so.

They're going to rebuild Stage Center and put this in.

No just kidding, I saw social media posts about this and it looked really cool. The City Museum in STL is really cool for kids!

The City museum is an amazing experience for everyone. I’m a big fan of the bob casilly art style. And his philanthropic approach to art and exploration in general. An installation from his team in OKC would be incredible I went last in 2016 and noted they are doing some massive projects in the shoe factory. 2020 sounds about right if they were to move the crew out after those projects are done. If this has weight I’d be very excited.

I went to City Museum in St. Louis a few weeks ago and I'd just like to confirm that it really is a pretty incredible experience.

Factory Obscura has big plans. Shift is great and I can't wait to see what's up their sleeve. It does have many similarities to Meow Wolf, and I think MW is one of FO's largest donors. If you haven't been to Meow Wolf, it's incredible and in my opinion a new form of interactive media. It combines exploration, story telling, and many forms of art in a huge interactive space. You could spend days there soaking it all up.

10. Default Re: Factory Obscura

FO’s producers were very upfront about crediting MW as a major inspiration.

Press release:

Factory Obscura Announces New Location for BEYOND

OKLAHOMA CITY – The artist collective Factory Obscura announced today a new location for its new, immersive experience, BEYOND. Seven months after welcoming its 20,000th visitor at SHIFT, Factory Obscura’s BEYOND will open on September 22, 2018. Visitors to BEYOND will journey through the known, into the unknown, and on a mysterious journey into what lies beyond. In keeping with the mystery, Factory Obscura will not be announcing the location, but rather asking fans to locate them on their own via a series of clues on social media.

Joint statement from the artist collective, Factory Obscura:
    “Where can you find Factory Obscura’s new experience BEYOND? That is currently a secret. But soon, clues will be posted to our social media accounts hinting where BEYOND can be found.”

Special events and announcements will also be made via social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

TICKETS
    All-Access and Family Passes for BEYOND are on sale now. Individual tickets will be available in early September. Pass holders have access to all four experiences. Individual tickets apply to one experience only. Pass holders are also invited to a special preview opening event on September 21.
    www.factoryobscura.fun

FACTORY OBSCURA
    The Oklahoma City-based art collective focuses on creating immersive experiences, challenging the participant to physically explore a full-sensory art environment. Visit www.factoryobscura.fun.

me and a group of friends went to the "Beyond" by Factory obscura last night. It was fantastic and we all really enjoyed it. it wasn't sure what to expect but really loved it and look forward to seeing what they do at Womb.

FYI, it's been extended to Jan. 6, was originally supposed to close on the Winter Solstice (Dec. 21), so that will help out anybody that was scrambling to find time to go in the next week (which was us, with all the other stuff that's going on keeping us busy).

Thread Information