Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pour (formerly Sanctuary)

Film Exchange Pour (formerly Sanctuary)

Two very different bar businesses coming to Film Row

Business is so good at FlashBack RetroPub in Film Row that the owners are planning two new ventures next door.

Sanctuary Barsilica, a church-themed bar, is set to open at the east end of 814 W. Sheridan, the same building that is home to FlashBack.

For inspiration, proprietor Jose Rodriguez visited Church in Portland and Sister Louisa' Church of the Living Room and Ping Pong Emporium in Atlanta. The latter is often recognized as one of the most successful and creative theme bars in the entire U.S.

The goal is a light-hearted but respectful take on religion with theme decor and drinks, as well as an elaborate karaoke system where singers will don choir robes before taking the stage.

In addition to signature cocktails such as Holy Sangria served in a chalice, there will be a heavy emphasis on national and regional craft beers to compliment FlashBack's focus on local brews.

The space will take advantage of existing huge overhead doors to open to a Sheridan-facing patio on nice days. A large outdoor space will also be featured on the south side of the space and everywhere inside and out will be non-smoking, as the policy has proved popular at FlashBack.

Between Sanctuary and the retro pub will be Wacky Wheelz, which will specialize in bar excursions on individual cruiser bikes completely decked out in LED lights.

Wacky Wheelz will have tour guides to take groups of 8 to 50 to various local bars. The tour leaders will have sound systems on their bikes which will feature music chosen by the group.

There will also be event space for before and after the cruise and for private events.

Rodriguez and his partner Mark Temple have formed El Jefe Entertainment as the umbrella for FlashBack, Sanctuary and Wacky Wheelz and future ventures.

The additions to Film Row, set to open this spring, come on the heels of the wildly popular and immediately adjacent Jones Assembly. Rodriguez said that the already strong business at FlashBack has picked up even further since Jones started drawing thousands more to the immediate area.

West Village will open their first apartments and commercial space directly north of 814 W. Sheridan in about 7 months, with hundreds of more units in that same development coming on-line in the next year.

Default Re: Sanctuary

Props to Jose for investing in this area and thinking outside the box. He does great work. This should continue to bring Film Row to life.

Remember just 2 short years ago when FlashBack went in and absolutely nothing was down there?

Now, the whole area is exploding.

And they did very well just off on their own. That place stays very busy and they are doing great numbers, well beyond what they had projected.

I went to Flashback last weekend and they were running out of beers. Place was packed. Seemed like a lot of work holiday party type of groups.

5. Default Re: Sanctuary

I am so happy for Jose and all the work he has put in. These will be great additions to the already booming Film Row district.

Fun Fact: Jose hired me to design both of these logos.

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    I am so happy for Jose and all the work he has put in. These will be great additions to the already booming Film Row district.

Fun Fact: Jose hired me to design both of these logos.
    Props to John too! Another local OKC business.

I think I would develop an anxiety disorder if I owned that Wacky Wheelz business. I wish them the best, but boy that sounds scary knowing how ignorant many Oklahoma drivers are with respect to cyclists.

Not at all a supporter of the juxtaposition of religion and debauchery

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Yeah...gotta say that’s a bold/stupid risk to take in the Bible Belt. It’s going to be pretty offensive to some.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    You must not be a supporter of catholics then... kidding, lol

If it helps anyones conscience we plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. We also want to work with local church pastors open to the idea of having open dialogues with non-church participating members on a select night each week. Not for the pastor to come preach to people, but to listen to what others understanding of the bible might be and reasons why they might not attend any type of religious establishments. So no, it won't all be a "juxtaposition of religion and debauchery", we'll have foosball and bingo too.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Yeah...gotta say that’s a bold/stupid risk to take in the Bible Belt. It’s going to be pretty offensive to some.
    Probably so, but people need to get over it. It's 2017. Not everything has to be sanitized to be palatable to the Baptists. If it offends people, they have the right to not go.

Typical religious crap in OKC. OKC has some weird religious agenda which is probably why the BOK tower is the bland corporate site that it is and they didn’t rehabilitate those structures which would have propelled that area into a vibrant nightlife scene. Even a deal was made for Repiblic to move into the bus station. The tower could have been built on the parking lot next to it. But that would have created too much of a big city vibrant scene for OKC apparently. Just like concepts like this.

I love my city but I really loose hope for it sometimes when things like this constantly come up. How long before the proposed bike tour thing gets complaints for loud rap music saying bad words that you hear in every other city but in OKC the soccer moms will cover their children’s ears, complain the children are hearing bad words, there are drunks on bicycles, and they will go home and cuss out liberals. Great stuff.

I will support this place when I’m there and would love a chance to tour these bikes and patronize this bar. Let’s see what happens. I hope I’m wrong. There is just a weird religious vibe in OKC I have yet to experience in any other city of its size.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    If it helps anyones conscience we plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. We also want to work with local church pastors open to the idea of having open dialogues with non-church participating members on a select night each week. Not for the pastor to come preach to people, but to listen to what others understanding of the bible might be and reasons why they might not attend any type of religious establishments. So no, it won't all be a "juxtaposition of religion and debauchery", we'll have foosball and bingo too.
    Is that first like a joke? Is that really what you feel you have to do to justify having this bar themed the way it is? I mean for f@cks sake man, if you’re doing for your own reason that’s great. But it’s just so people in OKC have a good conscience, wtf.

Some will love it, some will be indifferent about it and some will hate it. If someone finds it offensive, they have the right not to attend. It's risk is the same as any other business that opens or bar for that matter. But I'd rather failed trying to do something different that no one else has tried, then succeed doing the exact same cookie cutter bar that's been done a hundred times in OKC.

I agree with you. I will certainly patronize these businesses and I love the boldness. I hope it’s successful and it should be.

Plutonic,

We really do plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. Its my own decision to do it, not because I feel pressured to. We constantly donate to different causes at FlashBack and I plan on doing the same at Sanctuary. Its just something I always wanted to do if I got in a position to do so. Hope you introduce yourself when you do visit Sanctuary.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    Plutonic,

We really do plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. Its my own decision to do it, not because I feel pressured to. We constantly donate to different causes at FlashBack and I plan on doing the same at Sanctuary. Its just something I always wanted to do if I got in a position to do so. Hope you introduce yourself when you do visit Sanctuary.
    I will and I’m looking forward to it! I love Flashback and always make it a point to visit when I’m in town. Things like these establishments will go so long in providing great life to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Typical religious crap in OKC. OKC has some weird religious agenda which is probably why the BOK tower is the bland corporate site that it is and they didn’t rehabilitate those structures which would have propelled that area into a vibrant nightlife scene. Even a deal was made for Repiblic to move into the bus station. The tower could have been built on the parking lot next to it. But that would have created too much of a big city vibrant scene for OKC apparently. Just like concepts like this.

I love my city but I really loose hope for it sometimes when things like this constantly come up. How long before the proposed bike tour thing gets complaints for loud rap music saying bad words that you hear in every other city but in OKC the soccer moms will cover their children’s ears, complain the children are hearing bad words, there are drunks on bicycles, and they will go home and cuss out liberals. Great stuff.

I will support this place when I’m there and would love a chance to tour these bikes and patronize this bar. Let’s see what happens. I hope I’m wrong. There is just a weird religious vibe in OKC I have yet to experience in any other city of its size.
    Boy, that escalated quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Typical religious crap in OKC. OKC has some weird religious agenda which is probably why the BOK tower is the bland corporate site that it is and they didn’t rehabilitate those structures which would have propelled that area into a vibrant nightlife scene.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    What?
    Yes, it’s a conspiracy theory.

I'm telling you right now, The Sanctuary will be a massive hit. Despite most of the OKC metro being staunchly Southern Baptist, there are those of us that are not, and we will fully enjoy it.

As for Wacky Wheelz, fantastic idea, but the name will be it's downfall. It's just... Horrible. I'm having Gigglez flashbacks.

Not sure what is going on, especially with the last handful of posts, but I just have to say, in response to the idea of Holy Sangria served in a chalice:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

And might I suggest a confessional? Every tenth sin gets you your choice of Hot as Hell chicken wings or a slice of angel food cake!

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Not sure what is going on, especially with the last handful of posts, but I just have to say, in response to the idea of Holy Sangria served in a chalice:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

And might I suggest a confessional? Every tenth sin gets you your choice of Hot as Hell chicken wings or a slice of angel food cake!
    Holy hell I love that idea!

They will also be serving this from Twisted Spike Brewery:

Thread Information