Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pour (formerly Sanctuary)

Default Re: Sanctuary

Someone needs to open a place called "The Breakfast Club" focused on brunch. With drinks themes like the burnout or the preppy.

Late to this thread so forgive me if this has been covered about Wacky Wheelz...is it legal to ride a bike on a city street while intoxicated?

Also, as far as decommissioned church buildings go, there was one with gothic architecture on Classen that became a bar. I think they added turrents to the spires to try to make it look like a castle if memory serves. It was out of business for awhile and then the Bowery moved there for a short time before it closed. Do not remember the name of the former church or the first bar. (I hung out there a bit before and after the move from Midtown.)

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Late to this thread so forgive me if this has been covered about Wacky Wheelz...is it legal to ride a bike on a city street while intoxicated?

Also, as far as decommissioned church buildings go, there was one with gothic architecture on Classen that became a bar. I think they added turrents to the spires to try to make it look like a castle if memory serves. It was out of business for awhile and then the Bowery moved there for a short time before it closed. Do not remember the name of the former church or the first bar. (I hung out there a bit before and after the move from Midtown.)
    Ok so this is how Wacky Wheelz will work. If you have a group of 8 or more people that want to do a bar hopping excursion they let us know what bars in the downtown area they would like to visit and we will map out the best/safest/easiest route to take. The group are limited to 4 maybe 5 different bars they can go to and they only get about 30-40 minutes max at each bar. The total excursion time from start to finish will be under 4 hours taking riding time into account.

Each group will have at least 1 tour guide that rides the tricycle leading the group to each location, after each bar the tour lead will make sure that every person in the group is capable of riding their cruiser and continuing to the next location. If for some reason a rider is not able to continue on the tour, to guide will call back to the office and we will go pick them up and bring them back to event space. There are several bike riding and bar hopping events that take place in the city already, Tour De Biere and Pint Rider, so we won't be the first to go bar hopping on bikes and as far as I know none of them have had any issues or accidents.

I participated in Pint Rider this year and you would be surprised how responsible everyone drinking was. The goal of the excursion is not to go get hammered as quickly as possible, its to enjoy your time with your friends as you tour the different districts around downtown. We will also have everyone sign waivers prior to going on these tours.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Someone needs to open a place called "The Breakfast Club" focused on brunch. With drinks themes like the burnout or the preppy.

We do have a place called The Sandwich Club on Western with 80s Themed Sandwiches, if you haven't visited yet I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    We do have a place called The Sandwich Club on Western with 80s Themed Sandwiches, if you haven't visited yet I recommend it.
    We went once, and that's all we'll do. Sandwiches were OK, but I can make the majority of them at home with the exact same ingredients (or better) for about $2-3 per sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    Ok so this is how Wacky Wheelz will work. If you have a group of 8 or more people that want to do a bar hopping excursion they let us know what bars in the downtown area they would like to visit and we will map out the best/safest/easiest route to take. The group are limited to 4 maybe 5 different bars they can go to and they only get about 30-40 minutes max at each bar. The total excursion time from start to finish will be under 4 hours taking riding time into account.

Each group will have at least 1 tour guide that rides the tricycle leading the group to each location, after each bar the tour lead will make sure that every person in the group is capable of riding their cruiser and continuing to the next location. If for some reason a rider is not able to continue on the tour, to guide will call back to the office and we will go pick them up and bring them back to event space. There are several bike riding and bar hopping events that take place in the city already, Tour De Biere and Pint Rider, so we won't be the first to go bar hopping on bikes and as far as I know none of them have had any issues or accidents.

I participated in Pint Rider this year and you would be surprised how responsible everyone drinking was. The goal of the excursion is not to go get hammered as quickly as possible, its to enjoy your time with your friends as you tour the different districts around downtown. We will also have everyone sign waivers prior to going on these tours.
    Thanks for the answer and all the responsible planning. It sounds like fun. You didn't answer my question.

Can't wait to try this out. The current bars in OKC for me feel stale, I haven't been able to find a new hangout I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    People are definitely blowing this out of proportion. They need to just quiet down and ignore things that they think are offensive.

In completely unrelated news, I'd like to announce I've decided to open my own bar, a lighthearted but respectful take on the Civil Rights Movement. I call it Malcolm's XXX (with the XXX on a jug of moonshine). You can park your car in our "Free at Last" Rosa Parking Lot, and enjoy fun themed drinks like the Manhattan Luther King (in a cocktail glass or in our custom "shot" glasses), or our delicious Uncle Tom Collins. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
    This is where the inner hypocrite would come out in everyone saying that religious people should just get over this and not be offended by a church themed bar. It would be the exact same thing but as BChris said “it’s 2017” and everyone would be super offended.

Really excited for both the sanctuary and wacky wheels!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Thanks for the answer and all the responsible planning. It sounds like fun. You didn't answer my question.
    Sorry, to answer your question, it's not legal to be riding a bicycle drunk. But it wouldn't be DUI illegal, just Public Intoxication illegal. Oklahoma is one of several states that you can't get a DUI for riding you bike while you are drunk. However, we don't have to worry about it cause if someone gets too drunk to ride, we will simply go pick them up.

I assume it will be a similar setup to Bricktown Bike Bar.

http://www.bricktownbikebar.com/

11. Default Re: Sanctuary

Quote Originally Posted by stjohn View Post
    Sure, and I'm glad it's worked out. I love the space Flashback ended up in. Just a general wish that investment was consolidated into fewer but larger districts. Seems like a property owner or two puts money into an area, then everything near it becomes so expensive that the next round of would-be investors move to other "undiscovered" districts. Prices in that area then go up, and the next round of investment moves elsewhere. Rinse and repeat. The result being A TON of thriving two- or three-block "districts," which is great, but none of which individually are super impressive to someone coming from a peer city.

And I do recognize JRod/Flashback tried to go into Uptown, so nothing against them here at all. Just generally dreaming of bigger, more walkable neighborhoods. Put three more bars or restaurants on 23rd between Dewey and Robinson and that's a really impressive stretch. Instead, Film Row's gone from not much to one of the cooler little pockets in town in just a few years. Flashback is definitely well-run, and I think the Sanctuary concept will do just fine.
    StJohn, I agree with you but I think OKC is finally reaching a tipping point to where new districts in the core is a thing of the past and development is reaching critical mass as 'original' districts are being revisited.

Look at Bricktown. Look at AAlley. Plaza. Uptown. Paseo. These all are having serious in-fill (or significant plans) that will continue to densify them all the while up and coming districts such as Midtown, C2S/Coop, Farmer's Market, Classen, and Capital Hill are figuring out what they want to be. Midtown is a different animal given its primary anchor + building stock + proximity to the CBD & Automobile Alley but I still call it up-and-coming due to its sheer size vs. amount developed; to-be-developed.

This works for a very thriving urban core and I think development has reached critical mass enough for all of them to continue to infill nice and organically. Film Row is the only district that isn't as organic as the other districts [think West Villiage] but as JRod mentions it has a ton of buildings to work with. As long as the urban crowd continues to be urban and grow and suburbanites and tourists patronize the core for entertainment and more, OKC will become the city we all want its core to be in 10-years that will compare better than our peers due to size/amount of districts and what they individually offer.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

ABC3 Re-zoning was approved by City Council today, last major hurdle to get Liquor License.

Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing this come together and having another option in Film Row.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    As a millennial who loves to drink & who also regularly attends a small family, community oriented & financially struggling church in the inner city I love this idea and I'd love to visit. I'd also love to nominate my church as a recipient of your generosity from what will most certainly be great financial success. People who can't poke a little fun at themselves aren't my kind of people.

Best of luck!
    jccouger,

can you give me the contact information for your church? also do you think your pastor would be open to participating in our Jesus & Beer Night, where he can come out and just listen (interject bible facts when needed) to what church and non-church attending guest alike discuss in regard to various religious topics?

Woohoo! The free advertising has begun! So many people my age absolutely despise church in every way... I think this concept will go over quite well.

From their Twitter feed:

19. Default Re: Sanctuary

That's a good looking logo

20. Default Re: Sanctuary

Took this photo last week after a meeting I had with the owner. They are getting closer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I2jhmESGTGC57g6Crd9KXw.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	14782

They are getting close.

Pretty impressive in person; there will be a large patio in front facing Sheridan and another in the back.

Looking good!

23. Default Re: Sanctuary

Talked to the owner last night. He is hoping for a mid November opening.

Wait a minute! There's things here! There's trees, there's rocks, there's birds, there's squirrels. Come on, we'll bless them all until we get fershnikit!

Thread Information