Widgets Magazine

Thread: Propane Cylinders?

Default Propane Cylinders?

Is there a known place in OKC that sells propane cylinders (for a BBQ gril)) at a consistently low price? I need the cylinder plus the LP gas inside -- not just a simple refill.

Or should I just use one of those kiosks at WalMart or Walgreens?

Default Re: Propane Cylinders?

i'd say it depends on what you want to do in the future when it comes time to refill...

i think the most economical route is to go to a place like briscoe's and have them fill up your propane tank. for me, it's just too much of an inconvenience to head all the way over to them a few times a year and wait while they fill it. that's why I pay a little more and just use the tank trade-in services found at many grocery and convenience stores.

so,,, if you ever think that you'll want to go the trade-in route in the future, i'd recommend against buying a nice, new empty tank since you're just going to eventually trade it in anyhow. pretty much all of the trade-in services allow you to just buy the tank... i think they're around $50 to buy (including propane) and then $20 whenever you trade it in for another full one.

on the other hand, if you don't mind waiting to get your own tank refilled then you'll want to buy an empty one... i'd imagine that places like academy would sell them. a place that specializes in propane like briscoe's will probably have the best selection.

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    Is there a known place in OKC that sells propane cylinders (for a BBQ gril)) at a consistently low price? I need the cylinder plus the LP gas inside -- not just a simple refill.

Or should I just use one of those kiosks at WalMart or Walgreens?
    Not sure what your limitations are, I bought an 80 pound tank and it lasted for a long time. I wasn't far from a place to have it refilled, so it worked well for me.
    C. T.

Hey CT - Are you using the 80lb tank for cooking? That's probably too much propane for me, but I could see how that would be really economical.

I will call Briscoe's in the morning and see how their price works out.

5. Default Re: Propane Cylinders?

For my GAS grill (The term BBQ grill doesn’t exist in my world) I just rent the tanks for the convenience. It may cost a little more but they are available 24/7. So I don’t have to schedule refills around 8-5 hours of business.

6. Default Re: Propane Cylinders?

I bought my tanks at Sam's (empty) a few years ago. I remember at that time the cost of the tanks was cheaper than most and the tanks came with a gauge that let you know how full they are (many do not have this feature and you have to buy it and add it - adds $12-$20 to the cost). I rotate three tanks so I always have a full one. I use them for my gas grill, griddle and my propane torch (to burn weeds and melt ice). Much cheaper to refill at say Tractor Supply than those exchange places. Plus, I don't want to end up renting some tank someone has dropped, misused etc.

Places to fill....Any propane supplier, there’s American Propane on Broadway Extension, Loves at 122nd & I-35, Amerigas, some U-Haul locations, and just about any welding gas suppliers... we use Lampton’s for our shop bottles, and I’ve mostly used Loves for my home bottles.

Can a tank from Blue Rhino or Amerigas be refilled at an independent location like Briscoe's?

Can a tank from Blue Rhino or Amerigas be refilled at an independent location like Briscoe's?
    You should be able to. You pay for the tank when you first buy in to their service, so in reality, it’s your tank. Fuel suppliers don’t care where the tank came from as long as it is safe.

Hey CT - Are you using the 80lb tank for cooking? That's probably too much propane for me, but I could see how that would be really economical.

I will call Briscoe's in the morning and see how their price works out.
    Yes, I have a drop down smoker and didn't want to run to the store every few months to get another small tank so I bought the large one. By the way, I don't actually cook with propane I use it to light hickory logs that I cook with. Well, I used to anyway. When I lost my wife, it wasn't practical so I gave my smoker and 80 lb tank to my son.
    C. T.

I have seen a place on Portland between Nw 10th and Reno, I want to say it’s called pinnacle propane. There is a sign out front that says something about $10 tuesdays. But you would need your own propane tanks I would guess.

12. Default Re: Propane Cylinders?

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless85 View Post
    I have seen a place on Portland between Nw 10th and Reno, I want to say it’s called pinnacle propane. There is a sign out front that says something about $10 tuesdays. But you would need your own propane tanks I would guess.
    Don't know if they still do it, but in the summer they offered $10 to fill a 20lb propane tank/cylinder on Tuesdays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 7.58.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	14314

Thread Information