Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Covell and Coltrane

Default Covell and Coltrane

It looks like we are about to get a new grocery store in Edmond. On Monday the city council will be looking at a site plan for a grocery store with a gas station. The developer is asking for a varience for a curb cut on Covell that would require adding additional lanes. Problem is that there is no room for it. City staff recommend rejecting the proposal. Any one have an idea who the grocery store is? Is it another Walmart Neighborhood grocery store or is it someone else?

Default Re: Covell and Coltrane

Whatever it is, they need to bury that large natural gas thing they have sitting at the SW corner. I live right at Coltrane and Covell and they could easily widen the road to six lanes with a median and sidewalks on each side. I don't have them handy, but I did a bunch of measurements one day.

I wouldn't mind a grocery store, but I really hope it isn't another Walmart, although I've heard it's going to be a Neighborhood Market from various people. The initial renderings look nice, but it's still a Walmart. A Whole Foods would be amazing, but I don't think they have gas stations at any if them. Walmart is about the only grocer I can think of that sells gas, and that should say something if you can buy gasoline and all your food at the same place.

btw, I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about regarding the natural gas station(I'm not sure exactly what it's called) but is it possible to bury it underground? I have never seen those in Dallas exposed and close to the road like that, so surely they have plans to move it or bury it, right? Then again, Dallas had much higher standards than Edmond.

Yeah this has been discussed before. Chances are 99.9% that its a Wal-Mart.

By the way some Homelands sell gas as do chains in other cities. It's just Homeland isn't expanding so I don't see how it could be anything other than a Wal-Mart.

Well, Homeland also has a location a mile away from here as well.

Just seems like it would be overkill even for Wal-Mart with the store just down I-35. Wouldn't be too surprised but it doesn't seem there are enough houses in that corner (yet) to support two stores within 3 miles (even if one is a Market and the other a Supercenter).

As far as the gas "station", I've always thought it was a pumping station and they add odorant to it. We used to run up there all the time on gas leak in the area calls. It was the odarant that was leaking. (I'm a retired firefighter by the way) The north west corner where this is proposed has major water issue to engineer around. Basically a creek bed. I'm supprised that Walmart would build there since the neighborhood grocery is only 3 miles away. The lot is not huge. I was hoping for a Trader Joes or some other similar sized store that would be new to the area. The demographics don't fit Sav-A-Lot. I guess we'll see what happens since the City of Edmond staff recommends not to allow the request. I'm guessing the land will set for awhile. Much better land to build on is available nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    Just seems like it would be overkill even for Wal-Mart with the store just down I-35. Wouldn't be too surprised but it doesn't seem there are enough houses in that corner (yet) to support two stores within 3 miles (even if one is a Market and the other a Supercenter).
    Yeah well I've heard some possibilities of two-three new Walmarts in the area, which sucks. I have heard they are still scouting in NW Edmond for a NM, Waterloo/I-35 for a new super center, and Covell/Coltrane. It's getting to the point where almost like a bad joke and Walmart is just throwing hordes of money at the OKC area just for the hell of it. If you look at the number of new Walmart's that have been added in the past 4 years it's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    As far as the gas "station", I've always thought it was a pumping station and they add odorant to it. We used to run up there all the time on gas leak in the area calls. It was the odarant that was leaking. (I'm a retired firefighter by the way) The north west corner where this is proposed has major water issue to engineer around. Basically a creek bed. I'm supprised that Walmart would build there since the neighborhood grocery is only 3 miles away. The lot is not huge. I was hoping for a Trader Joes or some other similar sized store that would be new to the area. The demographics don't fit Sav-A-Lot. I guess we'll see what happens since the City of Edmond staff recommends not to allow the request. I'm guessing the land will set for awhile. Much better land to build on is available nearby.
    Yeah, a Trader Joe's would be awesome or perhaps a Natural Grocers, but the gas station part seems weird. That whole area does flood when it rains hard, so they will definitely have to come up with a solution.

Speaking of Waterloo and I-35, the south east corner is up for sale. Its owned by the guy leasing the 80 ac next to me. Not on great terms with him. his cows come through my fence on a daily basis. I'm guessing this might be an option but there is no water or sewer lines. The north east corner is well an old horse ranch that is basially abandand. Hopefully the area will be on an upswing soon with the north west corner looking like it will develop.

I'm for a Costco instead of a Walmart at Waterloo and I-35. I know, I'm dreaming.

I'm not sure if you've heard, but I posted a thread about a potential big development over there.

http://www.okctalk.com/suburban-othe...terloo-rd.html

This could be huge for the area!

Waterloo/I-35

Also, this is what I found on the city's website

Background
    MVG Development is proposing a grocery store at the northwest corner of Coltrane and Covell. On behalf of MVG Development, Attorney Randel Shadid has requested and provided a traffic impact analysis for a median opening on Covell when this section of roadway is ultimately widened.

Staff has reviewed the request and traffic impact analysis. The submitted site plans also do not show any widening on Coltrane or Covell. This widening is required in Title 21 and needed to accommodate the site traffic.

The traffic study shows less than 100 vehicles turning into the site on Covell during the peak hour, and the study also does not show any negative impact to Covell if no median opening is installed. No medians are proposed on Coltrane, so traffic can freely enter or exit the site. Coltrane is the minor road, so it can handle these turning movements easier than Covell.

There are several factors that make this area difficult for the future widening of Covell into a parkway, such as the floodplain and the gas infrastructure on the southwest corner of the intersection. The proposed left-turn lane and median opening into this site will limit the City’s ability to lengthen the left-turn lane onto Coltrane. Also, the right-of-way to the west of this area is limited by existing single-family homes, and retaining walls are already proposed when Covell is widened. The requested median opening will require a left-turn lane and taper that extend past the west property line of the proposed grocery store. There is not enough right-of-way to widen Covell adjacent to the single-family homes to accommodate this turn lane. There are also numerous utilities the City will have to relocate in this area, and there will be no room left for them as well.

With regard to the request for fee-in-lieu of widening of Covell and Coltrane, the widening is required by the Edmond Municipal Code, Title 21 and should be installed at the time of the development of the northwest corner.

- http://agenda.edmondok.com:8085/agen...#ReturnTo27036

Here is MVG Developments website: Denver Colorado Commercial Real Estate | MVG Development

Note that they also proposed a grocer in Midwest City under MVG Development and it turned out to be a Neighborhood Market. We'll see what comes out of it. On their website, it appears they have built a Dollar General, Applebees, Office Depot, and some various suburban strip malls. They also have a couple mid-rises for senior living,.

I did see your post on Waterloo/I-35. I'm hoping that is will kick off soon. I live in the area and it would be nice not to have to drive so far for everything. Yah, I want my country with close shopping. Basically a close in acreage for me.

I live in this general area as well and I would love to see a grocery store there. The idea of another NM does not excite me, but I would still shop there for the basics. It would be closer to me and a lot cheaper than Homeland. I was so hoping for a Crest, but I know that's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I live in this general area as well and I would love to see a grocery store there. The idea of another NM does not excite me, but I would still shop there for the basics. It would be closer to me and a lot cheaper than Homeland. I was so hoping for a Crest, but I know that's not happening.
    That's kind of how I feel.

BTW, I believe a Crest is still going to get built at Sooner and Covell.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That's kind of how I feel.

BTW, I believe a Crest is still going to get built at Sooner and Covell.
    As the east side of I-35 builds up, there's going to be a need for retail, grocery stores included. Just looking at the current and proposed subdivisions, looks like more then a few roof tops coming to the area. I'll bet the average income in the area south of Waterloo and east of I-35 (in Edmond Schools) is not too shabby. Should be looking more attractive to prospective retailers.

I just noticed from the article that is MVD and not MVG. I'll double check it here in a minute but this info was from the Edmond Exchange

Grocery store variance placed on agenda

Requests for a median opening along Covell Road and for fee-in-lieu of widening of Covell and Coltrane roads will be heard by the city council in a proposal to build a 24-hour grocery story and six-lane fuel station on the northwest corner of the intersection.

The unusual thing about the request is that City Planner Bob Schiermeyer and attorney for the developer, MVD Development, Randel Shadid, say they don’t know what kind of grocery wants to go into business on that corner.

None of the paperwork filed with the city lists the name of the grocery store.

Neighbors have written letters to the city, saying the 42,000-square-foot building will be a Walmart.

“I don’t represent the grocery store,” Shadid said. “I represent the people wanting to build a building. All I care is it meets the code.”

The zoning on the corner is open-display commercial.

“We are not talking about zoning,” Shadid said. “There could be a car dealership and boat sales on that corner.”

Neighbors wrote in emails to the city that they are concerned about congestion, traffic accidents, a decrease in property value, safety and security. The city has received between 50 and 100 emails, all opposing the development, Schiermeyer said.

“I cannot imagine the city of Edmond allowing anything of this size and magnitude in an area accessed by two-lane roads and four-way stops,” Ed Aust, 2609 E Ashecroft Drive, wrote to city officials. “It will create a traffic nightmare for residents who live in Asheforde Oaks, Fairfax and Steeplechase and all other additions surrounding each of these.”

The developer wants to pay the city for the cost of widening the road but not widen the road at this time, because the city has future plans to widen Covell into a parkway.

“We don’t want to widen the road and it be torn up later,” Shadid said.

City staff members have recommended that city council members not approve either of the variances when they meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday at 210 S Littler Ave. Planning commissioners will consider the site plan Nov. 18.

- Edmond Exchange | News OK

"EDMOND, Okla. —Residents in Asheforde Oaks said they don’t want shortcuts when the field next to their neighborhood is developed."

While I agree with that, I don't want a special connection to a Walmart that generally has a lower class clientele, which isn't always true, I even shop at Walmart sometimes and I know a bunch of wealthy people that due to, to walk into our neighborhood through a side entrance. It just spells of trouble.

Read more: http://www.koco.com/news/edmond-resi...#ixzz3Ie9lJDRQ

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    "EDMOND, Okla. —Residents in Asheforde Oaks said they don’t want shortcuts when the field next to their neighborhood is developed."

While I agree with that, I don't want a special connection to a Walmart that generally has a lower class clientele, which isn't always true, I even shop at Walmart sometimes and I know a bunch of wealthy people that due to, to walk into our neighborhood through a side entrance. It just spells of trouble.

Read more: Edmond residents demand safety over convenience | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com
    Do you think the area will be able to support both Wal-Mart and Uptown Grocery?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Do you think the area will be able to support both Wal-Mart and Uptown Grocery?
    Yeah, I mean Uptown might lose some business, but just from the people in the area that would likely use this store(if it were built) for quick, last-minute items and what not, but I don't think Uptown would see too much of a hit. I'm sure they will manage just fine.

What I think is funny.. we say we want quality grocery in the metro, but attack and call folks NIMBY (not in this thread, but on newsok, and such) if they fight a wal-mart who's trying to take shortcuts. More walmarts will not help us get quality grocers in Edmond.

Thread Information