Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Rex Middle School

Default Re: John Rex Middle School

^

Holy cow! What a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    My daughter was severely bullied to the extent that she was self-mutilating and at one point we took her to the ER due to concerns about suicide. As just one example the kids bullying her were made to apologize in writing, but they slipped in a note with the apology saying "we're not really sorry". We had to put her in therapy and remove her from the school for the last quarter of 7th grade (after the psychiatrist recommended, in writing to the district, immediate removal from the environment). After a lengthy process, the district granted us accommodations of sending a math and a science teacher to our home to keep her caught up with core subjects. For eighth grade we continued the district sponsored partial home school and she attended only certain classes at the school, and as part of that accommodation she was permitted to leave classes early so that she couldn't be harassed by the bullies between classes. She had a much better time in high school at NW Classen.
    The school should've removed those students permanently.

Im so sorry she had to go through that. Hope she is doing well now.

Wow as a parent, that's just a hard story to read.

Well, this is incredibly disappointing:

http://newsok.com/charter-school-boa...rticle/5579677

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Well, this is incredibly disappointing:

http://newsok.com/charter-school-boa...rticle/5579677
    Oh god, get over it. Kirk Humphreys has done great things for our city and one negative, non PC comment that people don't agree with doesn't all of the sudden erase all of that or nullify any positive contributions he can make in the future.

6. Default Re: John Rex Middle School

while true, doesn't mean he still needs to remain on the board.

Typically there is at least a 'cooling off' period where the person is reprimanded and not allowed to serve for a period of time; and then may be 'approved' to serve at a later date. I see that OU did this very thing, Rex. ...?

Oklahomans needs to realize politicians should be held accountable for what they do and SAY and stop voting for/approving these clowns who despite their possible many contributions continue to hold the state/city back as backwater, non-progressive, and intolerant (along with other negative adjectives many of us hate to hear).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Very disappointing. The problem is that it’s clear that Humphries believes all this bigotry and discrimination. He keeps saying to look at the context, but when pressed he literally either had no answer or doubles down on his discriminatory remarks. People can have different views, but again, he has spoken in favor of workplace discrimination and intolerance. What is a gay child or young girl supposed to think of themselves when a board appointed to oversee their school sounds like bullies they face?

Someone who thinks that there is no difference between a pedophile and a homosexual has no business being in any position of authority over any student body that includes homosexuals. It doesn't matter what his prior record of "doing good" is, and it doesn't negate any of his good works either. It simply acknowledges that he thinks that the homosexual student body he has authority over is no better than a grown man having sex with a young child.

That view point doesn't have to negate his prior good works. At the same time his prior good works also don't negate that view point. He still has the opportunity to do plenty of other good works, even though his threat of taking his money away from anyplace that holds him accountable for his words says just as much about him as his words did.

Children shouldn't have to go to school knowing that he thinks that they are no better than pedophiles.

It's not a one time statement, but I agree. .most of these statements have been aatter of public record for over a decade. These parents didn't seem to mind when he was raising money and helping develop this school and area. And his personal views, no matter how you feel about them, have no bearing on his ability to serve on the board, unless he inpliments some policy which reflects those views.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It's not a one time statement, but I agree. .most of these statements have been aatter of public record for over a decade. These parents didn't seem to mind when he was raising money and helping develop this school and area. And his personal views, no matter how you feel about them, have no bearing on his ability to serve on the board, unless he inpliments some policy which reflects those views.
    He’s on the record as saying men should fire qualified female employees if they’re attractive? He’s on the record as condemning all gay people as immoral? Do you honestly think he hasn’t been practicing discriminatory practices his entire career?

Kirk Humphries has shown multiple times why he is a poor role model for the youth of OKC.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGR...1TtmnxfEOEKp0Q
    He does not deserve to be a voting member of a publicly funded school.

12. Default Re: John Rex Middle School

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Someone who thinks that there is no difference between a pedophile and a homosexual has no business being in any position of authority over any student body that includes homosexuals.
    .. or anyone regardless of their race, color, orientation, or differences. [just enhancing this statement a bit]
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Oh god, get over it. Kirk Humphreys has done great things for our city and one negative, non PC comment that people don't agree with doesn't all of the sudden erase all of that or nullify any positive contributions he can make in the future.
    One, seriously? Aside from the *multiple* things he said on TV recently, there's all kinds of other times he's said similar things. Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGR...1TtmnxfEOEKp0Q

This is an outrage!!! Let's be angry!!!!

Looks to be well qualified to work with Betty DeVos. A talent like this is to valuable for Oklahoma City to keep for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    He’s on the record as saying men should fire qualified female employees if they’re attractive? He’s on the record as condemning all gay people as immoral? Do you honestly think he hasn’t been practicing discriminatory practices his entire career?
    He was on record a decade ago making those comments, when the board was happy for his fundraising help and the parents were happy to apply and take thier kids their. If there's evidence he's used his influence to discriminate then present it. The only thing that's changed is publicity, not his viewpoints.

He was on record a decade ago making those comments, when the board was happy for his fundraising help and the parents were happy to apply and take thier kids their. If there's evidence he's used his influence to discriminate then present it. The only thing that's changed is publicity, not his viewpoints.
    It's possible that (a) many people were unaware of his political views that have likely influenced his entire career or (b) they were unable to gain any traction in opposing him because he has a lot of money and influence. Just because this issue is boiling over now does not mean it hasn't been simmering for years.

I guess my point still is, these views have been around long enough that we'd know if they were effecting how he influenced the school. I wouldn't want an anti vaxxer or flat earther teaching science, but not too worried if they were an English teacher or on the school board. If he's not out thier as an activist trying to restrict rights, I'm willing to look past these views. I'm don't agree with a large part of the Morman religion, but we wouldn't be ok with discrimination against every male member would we? Catholics also have viewpoints that many would describe as anti women and equality. Should we ban them all from public service or understand that people can separate thier personal views from thier public actions?

I don't think it is a matter of whether his views have influenced the curriculum. His notoriety at this point his he represents the school as a voting member. Many an employee has been terminated over the years for the perception that their views represent the views of the agency/employer they serve.

So what? They were just as inappropriate a decade ago. If your point is that Kirk is a good fundraiser, so OKC needs to live with his outdated sense of "morality," then I'm just going to say I disagree with you. Oklahoma's reputation is bad enough. We NEED to do better than Kirk Humphreys.

So now we need a religious litmus test for positions and jobs. Got it. Don't see how that could go wrong. No Catholics, Southern Baptists, Muslims, etc on any public boards. I'm sure there won't be any legal issues with this.

I guess the question is if the problem people have is that he has these viewpoints, or merely that he's been open about them? Because if the latter that begs the question is if we're preferring people who hide their beliefs and motivations. If it's the former, we're in trouble, because there's a good shot that the majority if people out there hold some viewpoint that others would disagree with. That's why I'd rather go on actions.

So now we need a religious litmus test for positions and jobs. Got it. Don't see how that could go wrong. No Catholics, Southern Baptists, Muslims, etc on any public boards. I'm sure there won't be any legal issues with this.
    When his publicly stated views on women, gay folks, racial minorities, clash with non discrimination laws and statutes then he should not be on a public school board. It is a bad look for the OKC public school system.

I think in a state as socially conservative as Oklahoma, outrage and activism is better focused on the state legislature which will begin session soon. I am sure as usual that there will be numerous bills targeting the LGBTQ community. I don't like Kirk Humphreys and never have but he is who he is and his attitude towards the LGBTQ community has been well known since he was mayor. I definitely don't support him and I agree with others who say it's a poor reflection on the city, but it's also important to pick battles wisely especially in this political environment. Now if Mr. Humphreys attempts to use his position to discriminate against LGBTQ youth in any way then I would say that is cause for action.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think in a state as socially conservative as Oklahoma, outrage and activism is better focused on the state legislature which will begin session soon. I am sure as usual that there will be numerous bills targeting the LGBTQ community. I don't like Kirk Humphreys and never have but he is who he is and his attitude towards the LGBTQ community has been well known since he was mayor. Now if Mr. Humphreys attempts to use his position to discriminate against LGBTQ youth in any way then I would say that is cause for action.
    Certainly agree on that, I think everyone can.

Personal opinions of Humphreys aside, I would be interested to see whether those who are against him ever serving the public again can produce any actual evidence that his views have clouded his judgment or led him to actually discriminate against or have a tangible negative effect (other than hurt feelings) on anyone at any point during his public service. Just because someone disagrees with you or does not follow popular opinion, does not mean they are a horrible person that should be banned from working anywhere or serving the public in any capacity. The pedophilia comments were unfortunate and obviously I don't agree with them, but they do sound much worse when taken out of context.

Thread Information