Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hopdoddy

Default Re: Hopdoddy

Thanks for the feedback.

The 63rd location is pretty close and I've been avoiding it, but I really liked the food and vibe at the Chisholm location so I will make it a point to add this into my rotation.

Blog Entries

CC location last week at lunch ( about 1) had no line. Truffle fries are LEGIT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

The 63rd location is pretty close and I've been avoiding it, but I really liked the food and vibe at the Chisholm location so I will make it a point to add this into my rotation.
    Just curious why you are avoiding it.

A few Mondays ago, I visited the Hopdoddy on 63rd for a late lunch. I sat at the bar which is full service, but I was severely disappointed at the length of time it took to get my burger, and also some service issues. I would have thought they would have worked through the kinks by then, but clearly they have not. Among other issues, here are some items which I noticed: (1) burger portion was too small for the price; (2) bartender could not refill my sweet tea because they ran out; (3) burger and fries took way too long when the restaurant was not busy. Overall, I thought I spent too much money on a simple bacon and swiss cheeseburger and fries, and an iced tea... items I can get elsewhere, pay slightly less, and receive better quality and portion for my dollar. Will not return there or try their new location in Chisholm Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Just curious why you are avoiding it.
    Because there have been lines out the door.

Because there have been lines out the door.
    That was our experience the first time we thought about trying Hopdoddy with a relative who was passing through town, so we simply walked over to the Pop's next door. Several months later, my wife and I tried again--at around 5 pm--and there was almost no waiting at all. The burgers were great and the truffle fries delicious. The new Chisholm Creek location is a little closer to home, so our next visit will probably be there. (although the burgers at The Garage, which is five minutes away are very good too).

Are the rumors true? heard both have shut down for good?

would be very surprised, the lines for the first 3 months were insane

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Are the rumors true? heard both have shut down for good?

would be very surprised, the lines for the first 3 months were insane
    They aren't on their website What the heck happened? Unless the pandemic deemed them unable to perform in OKC.

They have a sign on the door at the NH location that says "We look forward to reopening soon" but I have the strong feeling they are done in OKC, especially now that our two locations have been removed from their website.

Noticed Torchy's across the street has reopened.

HangryHippo Guest

Why would they be done in OKC? Wasn't the NH location doing well before Covid-19? It always appeared busy.

It's especially strange (if true) because they don't franchise; all their locations are company-owned.

That’s been a tough area lately. The Lobster place didn’t last very long either. Maybe it is time to bring back Mamasitas?

Place was full when it first opened. Which seems to be the norm in OKC. However, every time we went by after the newness wore off they never seemed all that busy. Tried it twice. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Didn't think it was a good value. Never went back.

14. Default Re: Hopdoddy

I really liked it. I just didn't like the setup of no roaming waiters/waitresses to order something else. Drinks, extras, ect. Had to get back up and either get back in line or get in line at the bar. Sometimes just ended up leaving due to long lines.

What is starting to happen is that places are having to spend a bundle on rent and build-out and therefore must bring in a ton of revenue to break even.

They were busy but apparently not busy enough.

If Flower Child does well, maybe Fox will bring another concept to this space.

17. Default Re: Hopdoddy

What is starting to happen is that places are having to spend a bundle on rent and build-out and therefore must bring in a ton of revenue to break even.

They were busy but apparently not busy enough.
    But isn't this the case with most start ups? Were they expecting to have a high rate of return the first few years? Maybe these types of investments have skewed towards more long term in these high end areas, and need to tamper expectations. As someone who owns rental properties, the first year is usually rough after purchasing and doing upgrades (if needed), then it gradually gets better.

^

In the restaurant biz, I would think the first year would be the best then you try to hang onto that momentum.

And if you are open a while and aren't hitting your numbers, the call is made just to cut losses.

There are just so many burgers options that are better and cheaper in okc. I'm not surprised they closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    There are just so many burgers options that are better and cheaper in okc. I'm not surprised they closed.
    Exactly this. I’d go to Braum’s any day of the week before I’d give any of my hard earned Oil cash to Nick Foles, his Daddy and the rest of those slick Austin Bros.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I'm the same way. I love me a burger and Hopdoddy was never on my list due to price, quality and lack of convenience. Fortunately, we do have a lot of great options in and around the metro.

For this type of setup (order at the counter with a bar) The Garage does a great job and was already firmly established.

For this type of setup (order at the counter with a bar) The Garage does a great job and was already firmly established.
    My experience at multiple locations of the Garage (Automobile Alley, 122nd) is they always overcook the burger.

24. Default Re: Hopdoddy

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    My experience at multiple locations of the Garage (Automobile Alley, 122nd) is they always overcook the burger.
    IMO, that's what set Hopdoddy apart. You could have your burger cooked how you like it. Most of the burgers I've had in OKC tended to have been overcooked.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    IMO, that's what set Hopdoddy apart. You could have your burger cooked how you like it. Most of the burgers I've had in OKC tended to have been overcooked.
    Not sure I've ever ordered a burger at a sit down restaurant that didn't ask me how I'd like it cooked. Some won't go rarer than medium though in my experience. I prefer slightly pink.

Thread Information