Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese food

Default Re: Chinese food

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Actually, I think we are both right. As you said, the authentic dishes are the back pages. That's two menus but they are all in one binder. When I first started going there (just after Rick's Mexican closed) I was the only caucasian in the place and they handed me two separate menus, but I do seem to remember that they have combined them into one binder
    C. T.
    We tried Rick's and my wife LOVED it. We went back a few weeks later and they were closed down. She still hasn't tried the Rick's down by the capital and I don't even know if it's the same people.

Can’t believe I been living in Oklahoma City since 1996 and I went to Chows for the first time Friday, man that the best Chinese food period in the City.

Best in the city? Debatable. Dingy ass building too.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    Can’t believe I been living in Oklahoma City since 1996 and I went to Chows for the first time Friday, man that the best Chinese food period in the City.
    Chow's is very good, but I would still choose Szechuan Bistro if I had to make a choice. I do like a change, so there are several I enjoy. Trouble is, I'm just not eating out much anymore. Somewhere on this thread there are comments about Chow's, and somebody posted a comment about their lobster dishes. I haven't been to Chow's since that post, so I need to check it out.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    We tried Rick's and my wife LOVED it. We went back a few weeks later and they were closed down. She still hasn't tried the Rick's down by the capital and I don't even know if it's the same people.
    It's the same people. There's another one in Moore. And my mistake, it's Ricky's not Rick's.
    C. T.

I'm assuming most of these places are made to order food places? Anyone have good Chinese buffets that they enjoy?

7. Default Re: Chinese food

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    I'm assuming most of these places are made to order food places? Anyone have good Chinese buffets that they enjoy?
    Only one I still go to is Golden Palace but I only go there for the Mongolian BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    Golden Palace for chinese at sw 15/Meridian

Not chinese but:

Thai House for Thai buffet at NW23/Walker
    Taj for Indian buffet at NW23/ just east of McKinley

terryinokc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Definitely. Ask for the other menu for the more authentic stuff.
    Chows is also great. My go to for inner OKC Chinese.
    Only been to Chow's once...and that was several years ago...my thoughts then were it was not very clean and you could see gaping holes underneath the doors...I don't mean to speak bad about it, but has it gotten better?

Quote Originally Posted by terryinokc View Post
    Only been to Chow's once...and that was several years ago...my thoughts then were it was not very clean and you could see gaping holes underneath the doors...I don't mean to speak bad about it, but has it gotten better?
    Okay, how was the food?

terryinokc Guest

Food was OK..but the upkeep of the place detracted from it. Again, stressing that this was several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by terryinokc View Post
    We've been a couple of times this past year and I didn't notice anything like that, and I generally do notice cleanliness issues pretty quickly at restaurants.

13. Default Re: Chinese food

Man this thread made me miss Szechuan Bistro.

This link supposedly shows the best restaurants in all fifty states. They also listed the favorite food in all fifty states and in Oklahoma it was chicken because in Oklahoma they love their chicken fried steak. How clueless is that? And the best steak restaurant was listed as Cattleman's. No clue. But it is nice that they listed Chow's and even though I'm not sure about it as being the best in Oklahoma, their food is very good.
    C. T.

OKLAHOMA: CHOW’S, OKLAHOMA CITY
    This modest storefront is hiding a showstopper of a Chinese restaurant, serving a pleasing mix of Americanized favorites as well as traditional Chinese fare. If you're in the mood for takeout staples like General Tso's chicken, sweet and sour pork, pepper steak, barbecue pork, and Hunan shrimp, you can depend on its renditions being fresh and flavorful, but if you venture outside of your comfort zone and sample the fried quail, salt and pepper squid, pork belly with preserved vegetables, ma po tofu, or beef stew hot pot, you'll be amply rewarded. If you're looking to get really adventurous, there's pork stomach and intestines, duck feet, cold jellyfish, and tripe. It's BYOB, so be sure you bring something along.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...nb7Kz#image=37

On the one hand, that list is legit. I popped over to the Texas page to make sure Asia Cafe in Austin was listed. It was.

On the other hand, while the article is dated this year, they say Asia Cafe is for takeout, and the dining space is not welcoming. While possibly true 7 or 8 years ago (at that time it was in the back of Asia Market, next door, with maybe half a dozen tables), they moved into the storefront next door in late 2009 or early 2010 and became their own separate entity, with a VERY large, bright dining area, with a couple private rooms.

With information THAT out of date, I have to wonder how the list was compiled. Yelp reviews? Foursquare check-ins? And while I haven't been there recently, I understand the original chef left and opened a different place, and Asia Cafe is generally understood to be not as good, while his new place is the new hotness. For those who use this as a barometer, one thing I've heard about Asia Cafe now is "that's where the Americans go", while A+A (the new place) is where the Asians go.

Thread Information