Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese food

1. Default Chinese food

With us losing the Dot Wo Garden soon, I am at a loss for a good Chinese restaurant to go to. Does anyone have a restaurant close to the 73116 that I might try? I love Dot Wo Garden and am so sorry they are closing, but I need a good Chinese restaurant. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Chinese food

The 7 Bistro down on Classen is pretty darn good.

Always felt that Chows and Golden Phoenix were both much better than Dot Wo. VII Bistro is one of our go-tos for pho but never had Chinese food there.

I have been going to Szechuan Bistro at Western and Memorial for quite a while. Really good food.
    C. T.

Is Kang's still open? It used to be fairly decent.

i'll second bistro vii... everything i've ever ordered there has come out hot and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    i used to really like kang's but went around 6-8 months ago and was really disappointed. i don't know if they were in the middle of a remodel, but even the dining room was looking really threadbare. while i don't know whether or not they're still open, it wouldn't surprise me if they've closed since my last visit.

I agree with Bistro VII on Classen and we have also enjoyed Ding on 39th in Bethany, west of MacArthur.

8. Default Re: Chinese food

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Nope.... If I recall correctly it is the same owners but rebranded to Nhinja Sushi.

Szechuan Bistro on Memorial and Western is very good.

10. Default Re: Chinese food

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Szechuan Bistro on Memorial and Western is very good.
    Agreed.... I've eaten there a couple of times and it was great both times.

Going the complete opposite direction with this one but.... Fantasy Chinese Cuisine in Norman is my new go to spot for sit down Chinese.

It meets both of my requirements for Chinese.... Good chopsticks at the table and I'm usually the only non-Asian in the place.

Chows

Sichuan Bistro has some dishes that are very authentic to traditional Sichuan cuisine. It's my favorite Chinese place in the city.

Chows on N May, Golden Phoenix and VII Bistro on Classen are the Three we frequent.

Fung's is one of the best as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I have been going to Szechuan Bistro at Western and Memorial for quite a while. Really good food.
    C. T.
    Definitely. Ask for the other menu for the more authentic stuff.
    Chows is also great. My go to for inner OKC Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Definitely. Ask for the other menu for the more authentic stuff.
    Chows is also great. My go to for inner OKC Chinese.
    I thought Szechuan Bistro had all their stuff, both authentic/weird (to Americans) and Americanized all on one menu, it's just a big menu. I've always ordered the authentic items off the standard menu...

Agree with Chow's and Szechuan Bistro as being great, Chow's is probably closest to 73116 (my old zip code) out of all that have been listed, since it's just down May on 30th in 73112 (my new zip code).

17. Default Re: Chinese food

Here is an interesting read from the Gazette on Dot Wo Garden... http://okgazette.com/2017/11/01/dot-...ampaign=buffer

Didn't realize how closely related a lot of the restaurants mentioned in this thread are to one another.

Golden Phoenix, Schezuan Bistro and Fungs are the best Chinese food we've found in OKC.

Now if we could only get some Northern Chinese cuisine places...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I thought Szechuan Bistro had all their stuff, both authentic/weird (to Americans) and Americanized all on one menu, it's just a big menu. I've always ordered the authentic items off the standard menu...

Agree with Chow's and Szechuan Bistro as being great, Chow's is probably closest to 73116 (my old zip code) out of all that have been listed, since it's just down May on 30th in 73112 (my new zip code).
    No, they have two menus, one for Americanized Asian food and the other for people that prefer authentic Asian choices. It has both Chinese and English to describe the different foods. I'm also a fan of spicy food and they will spice it up for you if you request it. By the way, I haven't been there in a few months (I was living in MWC and it was a little far), so they might have combined their two menus in to one.
    C. T.

^^ Fung's is the same way

No, they have two menus, one for Americanized Asian food and the other for people that prefer authentic Asian choices. It has both Chinese and English to describe the different foods. I'm also a fan of spicy food and they will spice it up for you if you request it. By the way, I haven't been there in a few months (I was living in MWC and it was a little far), so they might have combined their two menus in to one.
    C. T.
    This link shows the menus I've seen when I've been there (which was probably 2 years ago) and it has authentic and Americanized food, plus it has both Chinese and English (and it was all in one menu, didn't have to ask for 2 menus, the authentic dishes are the back pages of the menu, IIRC). They also bring out a laminated card that has specials on it, both Americanized and authentic and in both languages. Maybe they have an extra-extra secret special Chinese menu, but I've gotten plenty of authentic dishes from the regular one they give out (with the C-numbered items in it) - they even ask if I'm sure I want the weird (to Americans) things I order there.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/szec...-city?start=60

This link shows the menus I've seen when I've been there (which was probably 2 years ago) and it has authentic and Americanized food, plus it has both Chinese and English (and it was all in one menu, didn't have to ask for 2 menus, the authentic dishes are the back pages of the menu, IIRC). They also bring out a laminated card that has specials on it, both Americanized and authentic and in both languages. Maybe they have an extra-extra secret special Chinese menu, but I've gotten plenty of authentic dishes from the regular one they give out (with the C-numbered items in it) - they even ask if I'm sure I want the weird (to Americans) things I order there.

One of the nice things about being married to someone from an Asian country is that restaurants like this automatically give us the Asian menu, rather than the Americanized one.

I think I've recommended these before but at Schezuan Bistro, jumbo shrimp sauteed in XO sauce and fried fish in sweet and tangy sauce are my favorites.

Actually, I think we are both right. As you said, the authentic dishes are the back pages. That's two menus but they are all in one binder. When I first started going there (just after Rick's Mexican closed) I was the only caucasian in the place and they handed me two separate menus, but I do seem to remember that they have combined them into one binder
    C. T.

Actually, I think we are both right. As you said, the authentic dishes are the back pages. That's two menus but they are all in one binder. When I first started going there (just after Rick's Mexican closed) I was the only caucasian in the place and they handed me two separate menus, but I do seem to remember that they have combined them into one binder
    C. T.
    Yep, the menus are different looking now that I think about it, they just stuck them all into one binder, probably to save the server another trip to the front to get the Chinese menu when someone asks for it, lol...

Thread Information