Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Investment Apps?

Default Re: Investment Apps?

Select name From * where SQLSkills = 'Advanced' and exists (select tradingdblocation from *)

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Select name From * where SQLSkills = 'Advanced' and exists (select tradingdblocation from *)
    good times.. I'll msg when I get this going.

The lower cases did break me a bit.

Wow Robinhood has started something here... just got this emailClick image for larger version. 

Name:	crablegs.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	14865

Incorrect syntax near '*'

: )

Been having too many friends/family trying to get me signed up on Robin Hood. “We’ll both get free stock! Zero commission trades!” Lol. These are people that have absolutely no idea about the risks of stock trading bc they’ve never done it before. Seems too similar to all the other MLM schemes for my comfort. Luring people in with all this hype about once in a lifetime opportunities, blah blah blah. But never telling people that they can lose their asses. I’ll stick with my broker for now.

Blog Entries

^+1 on that soonermike (actually +about 100).

Right?! I’m thinking of a good buddy who makes very good money doing what he does but has very little experience investing in the market. But I get hit up like this, “Join Robinhood and we'll both get a stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free. Make sure you use my link.” This was almost a year ago probably. Since then, I’ve had a couple relatives hit me up with the exact same line! So, I sign up and RH is going to give me some free AAPL?? One of them is a family member that has ZERO experience investing from what I know. Seems very irresponsible, not just on the consumers’ part but on RH as well. Just seems very sleazy, IMO.

I'm not sharing my "free stock" link with people here so they won't think I'm telling them to use it
    for that reason. Just talking about free option sharing because most people who are not very bright
    (lost ogle fans etc...) won't bother checking it out when they hear "free option trading" ... but those who
    do understand such things would be crazy not to at least check it out...unless they are super wealthy...

Blog Entries

I won't spend a lot of time debating this, but I suspect that if you dig in you will find that you’re paying MORE in slippage and RH not crossing spreads than you’re saving in fees. A normal broker you will execute immediately; RH likely is only executing higher or only on the ask. Anyway, they may call it "free". In my opinion it isn't truly "free".

I always set limits on buys...

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I won't spend a lot of time debating this, but I suspect that if you dig in you will find that you’re paying MORE in slippage and RH not crossing spreads than you’re saving in fees. A normal broker you will execute immediately; RH likely is only executing higher or only on the ask. Anyway, they may call it "free". In my opinion it isn't truly "free".
    Meh, the average RH trader isn’t moving thousands of shares in a trade. For younger folks with, say, $5 to $10K at risk, there’s a huge difference between $5.99 per trade and a penny or two over 10 to 15 shares.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Meh, the average RH trader isn’t moving thousands of shares in a trade. For younger folks with, say, $5 to $10K at risk, there’s a huge difference between $5.99 per trade and a penny or two over 10 to 15 shares.
    Truth. And I think people who play the lottery and scratch 'n wins should quit and do this. Better returns, a lot more fun, and
    certainly better for your brain. I am about to get my butt kicked by GAP btw...o0f!!!! Part of the fun. I always hated that store.

M1 Finance is great for long-term investing, especially if you are just starting out. It's free, minus small SEC fees when you sell, but this can easily be avoided by balancing your portfolio with deposits. It's pie (percentage) based and you can purchase fractional shares, so you can buy high tier securities even if you have a small balance. It's more for buy and hold type investing, but it's pretty flexible. You have access to anything in the major exchanges and some. I've used this, along with Robinhood and some other brokerages. I've shifted most of my investments to M1 over time because it fits my plans and st. They constantly improving the interface as well, so any tiny annoyances will probably get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    They save me $570. I forgot I had a 410 put sale in but it executed at 980 right after opening today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180828-182308.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	14873

Just read this about Robinhood, interesting...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-speed-traders

17. Default Re: Investment Apps?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Just read this about Robinhood, interesting...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-speed-traders
    For once, TheTravellers linked to a good and complete article. I also had wondered how Robonhood made their revenue. As the article states, most all stock brokerage companies route their trades. My old company gives investors the option for their trade to be directed to a particular firm. TBH, the average investor gets the best deal at my old firm by relying on the firm to get the best execution - a fiduciary responsibility of the broker/dealer. I've saved thousands each year by doing this - it means if l put in a market order, l usually get better than the stated bjd/ask. This is called price improvement and is done by most larger firms.

It's a good read and is not known by most people but it's a standard industry practice that actually benefits everyone.

Thread Information