Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your concepts/ideas for OKC

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Your concepts/ideas for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Toby Keith’s lot would be best utilized as structured parking to support new and existing uses. This infill model of LB is similar to what I’ve been advocating for years. There is nothing wrong with LB that could not be fixed with infill.
    Have you ever heard if Hogan has any inclination at all to improve Lower Bricktown?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Have you ever heard if Hogan has any inclination at all to improve Lower Bricktown?
    I have to imagine that they are considering options for some improvement in order to develop along the boulevard. or at least transform the boulevard side of lbt from the complete ass end of bricktown to something more inviting.

3. Default Re: Your concepts/ideas for OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I’ve casually spoken with both Randy and Brad a number of times about it, and I think there is definitely a desire to do SOME additional infill, but the prospect is a bit complicated because of agreements with existing tenants over availability of free parking and controlled employee parking, and very specifically that it be of the surface variety. I think there are ways these limitations could be overcome, but those solutions can of course be very expensive.

People like to fantasize on here about “demolish and rebuild,” but the fact of the matter is that LB is fully occupied at market rate and quite successful from a BUSINESS standpoint as-is. Anything that could be done in the future would have to take that into account - plus take existing agreements/leases into account - and be an overall improvement to not just the physical environment that we would all be interested in seeing, but also to the bottom line of the developer.

That’s one of the reasons I always harp on structured parking for LB. it’s the only thing that would unlock the potential of existing surface lots and undeveloped parcels. But structured parking is of course incredibly expensive, enough to probably preclude further development, honestly. This is a place where I could see TIF making a worthwhile difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

People like to fantasize on here about “demolish and rebuild,” but the fact of the matter is that LB is fully occupied at market rate and quite successful from a BUSINESS standpoint as-is. Anything that could be done in the future would have to take that into account - plus take existing agreements/leases into account - and be an overall improvement to not just the physical environment that we would all be interested in seeing, but also to the bottom line of the developer.
    It will be interesting to see if this remains the case once the Steelyard and the 21c/Film Row developments come to fruition. More recent developments in OKC are upping the standard and making Lower Bricktown look and feel quite dated by comparison. What irks me the most about Lower Bricktown is the bait-and-switch factor. Had Hogan built what he initially proposed, there would be no need for this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    A subway system that runs down reno from downtown to yukon, One going up and down 35 and 235 from Edmond to Norman. One going along I-40 to tinker and one along Nw expressway. Oh and something DT to airport. How cool would it be for OU students to be able to take a train to bricktown.
    Assuming the forthcoming Regional Transit Authority actually gets off the ground and voters approve funding for it, commuter rail from downtown Norman to downtown Edmond, via Santa Fe Station in DT OKC, will be a reality within the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Assuming the forthcoming Regional Transit Authority actually gets off the ground and voters approve funding for it, commuter rail from downtown Norman to downtown Edmond, via Santa Fe Station in DT OKC, will be a reality within the decade.
    After it taking me more than an hour to drive from work in Norman to home yesterday, envisioning a future of walking to a train station and having it go all the way to work w/ frequent service has me drooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Not sure if this is along the same lines, but much higher education investment. I have tons of very active peers who would absolutely move to the urban core if they had confidence in their kids having a quality education. It's a crapshoot even in "good" districts, but public ed in Oklahoma as a whole is a total mess. All this entertainment activity is great for young adults and empty nesters, but I feel like OKC is going to really feel the burn in the next decade as the older millenials (although it's weird to lump us in with highschool snapchatters) start leaving to give their kids a better chance. Not to mention that OKC will probably never get a nod from any high-skill company as long as our education system is in the dumps.
    It's actually pretty easy to fix this issue. If all of us 'millenials' would just keep our children in OKCPS, the schools would improve. It's as easy as that.

It's not that easy AP especially since it's mostly a state issue. We are blown away up here in MN with the education system. I wish for OK and OKC to have something similar. Considering we were in Deer Creek schools which were supposed to be top notch, it's kinda laughable to compare it to where we are now. If OKC had that we'd have never left.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    It's not that easy AP especially since it's mostly a state issue. We are blown away up here in MN with the education system. I wish for OK and OKC to have something similar. Considering we were in Deer Creek schools which were supposed to be top notch, it's kinda laughable to compare it to where we are now. If OKC had that we'd have never left.
    Bradh, can you give some examples of what you have or see in MN that's different from what we're doing here? Innovations? Different philosophies? The structure of their education funding? It'd be helpful to hear more. Also, are we looking at elementary or secondary age children?

I was strictly talking about the comparison between urban and suburban schools. Not the entire system as a whole. I understand the quality of education in OK is below par. I was addressing the urban core point.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I was strictly talking about the comparison between urban and suburban schools. Not the entire system as a whole. I understand the quality of education in OK is below par. I was addressing the urban core point.
    Got it, and I agree with your view. Hope you guys are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Bradh, can you give some examples of what you have or see in MN that's different from what we're doing here? Innovations? Different philosophies? The structure of their education funding? It'd be helpful to hear more. Also, are we looking at elementary or secondary age children?
    It's really hard for me to explain all that in this medium. I'll also admit that the district we're in is one of the best in the country, so some of what we're experiencing is localized to Minnetonka maybe. They have the thought process that they're going to create programs to cater to all their students. Our daughter is in first grade, but on a whole the entire district is amazing. Here are a couple of links:

https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/ac...ialty-programs
    https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/
    https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/academics

Hope that helps, without getting too personal. As far as the education, I'm pretty clueless on that, although I'm sure my property tax bill will show me that lol

It's really hard for me to explain all that in this medium. I'll also admit that the district we're in is one of the best in the country, so some of what we're experiencing is localized to Minnetonka maybe. They have the thought process that they're going to create programs to cater to all their students. Our daughter is in first grade, but on a whole the entire district is amazing. Here are a couple of links:

https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/ac...ialty-programs
    https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/
    https://www.minnetonkaschools.org/academics

Hope that helps, without getting too personal. As far as the education, I'm pretty clueless on that, although I'm sure my property tax bill will show me that lol
    Thanks! I'll check those out. It's always interesting to see what's being done right, and whether it's something that could possibly be utilized here in OK. Our (5th grade) daughter is in private school, but my colleagues and I work with public schools across the state. We're continually searching for new and improved ways to better educate kids.

I was driving over the Oklahoma river a few days back and since it's getting dark earlier, I noticed how dark the boat district is. I would like to see the bike/walking paths lit up with street lamps along the path in an attempt to make this a safe park area after dark. It would also be nice if the boathouses were lit up or had some lighting so as to give the river a feeling of life after dark. And take down that tacky osu emblem on boat house district sign that faces I-35.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I was driving over the Oklahoma river a few days back and since it's getting dark earlier, I noticed how dark the boat district is. I would like to see the bike/walking paths lit up with street lamps along the path in an attempt to make this a safe park area after dark. It would also be nice if the boathouses were lit up or had some lighting so as to give the river a feeling of life after dark. And take down that tacky osu emblem on boat house district sign that faces I-35.
    This. Downtown as a whole could really use a lighting upgrade. Our downtown views would look so much better if all the buildings were required to have at least SOME exterior lighting.

This. Downtown as a whole could really use a lighting upgrade. Our downtown views would look so much better if all the buildings were required to have at least SOME exterior lighting.
    If Sandridge would turn their lights on it would look a lot better.

I wish the I-35 bridges over the river had some decent side and under lighting. And add the Lincoln bridge to that list too.

I agree. The skyline is a big part of the city's image and OKC currently has the darkest (or one of them) skyline of any city in the country as far as I am aware. It would make a huge difference if they would either light the Sandridge tower and/or the Chase tower. With the Chase tower being sold, hopefully the new owners will fix the lighting. It's understandable why Sandridge doesn't light their tower given the financial shape of the company, but it would be nice if they would at least do something.

Do other cities have lighting incentives? Given the current economic situation in Oklahoma and OKC now probably isn't the time to push for it here, but it would be interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. The skyline is a big part of the city's image and OKC currently has the darkest (or one of them) skyline of any city in the country as far as I am aware. It would make a huge difference if they would either light the Sandridge tower and/or the Chase tower. With the Chase tower being sold, hopefully the new owners will fix the lighting. It's understandable why Sandridge doesn't light their tower given the financial shape of the company, but it would be nice if they would at least do something.

Do other cities have lighting incentives? Given the current economic situation in Oklahoma and OKC now probably isn't the time to push for it here, but it would be interesting to know.
    Lighting a couple of the buildings with crosses for Christmas isn't the ideal way to go with more lighting. It seems a more appropriate thing to do for Easter.

I can’t wait until OKC outgrows these stupid crosses they do every year. Houston is doing away with them finally. Dallas stopped awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I can’t wait until OKC outgrows these stupid crosses they do every year. Houston is doing away with them finally. Dallas stopped awhile ago.
    I'd bet you that you'll probably be dead of old age before they stop with the crosses, but I'd never collect on that bet 'cos I'm decades older than you. But the sentiment still applies...

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    PluPan, I see you're in need of a little prayer.........lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'd bet you that you'll probably be dead of old age before they stop with the crosses, but I'd never collect on that bet 'cos I'm decades older than you. But the sentiment still applies...
    I agree with this. The crosses in the skyline of OKC at Christmas are because this is the buckle of the Bible Belt. Do I personally like them? No, especially not in our current environment where Christianity has become a political weapon. I would prefer that they decorate downtown with more religiously neutral Christmas decorations like they do in most other cities. However, the crosses are a part of history and culture here and it's unlikely to change any time soon. They have had them as long as I can remember.

You’re saying OKC’s history is based from religion? Is it a big part of today’s culture there? Yeah, but not the city’s legacy nor it’s history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    PluPan, I see you're in need of a little prayer.........lol
    I’m always in need of prayer. Ha

The businesses have the right to put up the cross and you have the right to not look at them.

Thread Information