Widgets Magazine

Thread: Muu Shabu

1. Edmond Muu Shabu

Muu Shabu - 1042 E 2nd Street, Edmond

I'm going to give this place a try for dinner tonight. Has anyone been to try it?

2. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Interesting. I was at del taco the other day and I swore it looked empty inside. Let us know how it is

3. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Interesting. I was at del taco the other day and I swore it looked empty inside. Let us know how it is
    Interesting.... They haven't updated that FB page in a few months either..... I'll cross my fingers they are still open.

Default Re: Muu Shabu

Awesome. At one point Tokyo Pot in Stillwater was the only Shabu Shabu restaurant in the state. If it's anything like that it will be really good.

5. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Did that other day happen to be a Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Did that other day happen to be a Monday?
    Are you saying it was closed?

I've driven by it many times. Didn't understand how it could stay open because it truly is one of those places you could drive past a thousand times and never realize it's there. The signage sucks.

7. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Are you saying it was closed?

I've driven by it many times. Didn't understand how it could stay open because it truly is one of those places you could drive past a thousand times and never realize it's there. The signage sucks.
    I'm saying they are closed on Mondays... If that happened to be "the other day" that Worthy Cook was at Del Taco.... That would explain the empty look.

They have had reviews posted in the last couple of weeks so unless they closed within that time frame. I'll be eating there tonight.

8. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Went and tried it last night and enjoyed it a lot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	14173 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	14174
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	14175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0822.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	14176

I can definitely see how this place could be out of a lot of peoples comfort zone for a dining experience, and as someone above said, the signage is horrible. The name and signage gives no clue as to what kind of establishment you are walking into. Even after walking in I'm sure most average Oklahoma diners are going to look at it, become intimidated, and consider walking back out.

The place was really slow, only two customers seated, when we got there about 6:00 PM and stayed that way. We were also the only non-Asian customers.

I'll have to say that even I was a bit skeptical about how good swishing a piece of meat in some boiling broth could be but that skepticism all rushed away when I put the first slice of that melt in your mouth ribeye in my mouth. It was incredible!

I will admit the whole meal seems a little counter-intuitive to me still because basically I ate my meat and part of the vegetables turning the broth, I cooked the meat and veggies in, into a soup that I then finished by ladling it into my rice and then eating that like an appetizer soup but to end the meal...... Regardless I can't wait to go back and eat there again..... Just wish it wasn't so far away from my office or it would become a regular lunch time option for me.

wasn't 'muu shabu' the main villain in ghostbusters 2?

seriously, though... that looks really good.

10. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    seriously, though... that looks really good.
    It was seriously good..... They have a wagyu beef option too that I almost tried but that ribeye was so freaking tender I can't imagine what the wagyu would be like..... Maybe like eating air.

I really only have one complaint about this place and that's with the chopsticks.... They are just the cheap, disposable, break apart kind.... a place like this needs some good chopsticks like the ramen and pho shops have.

Has this place been here a while? Had no idea it existed and love a good hot pot spot, though I've admittedly only had Chinese hot pot and not the Japanese version, and am not sure of the differences. Will have to check it out soon.

12. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Has this place been here a while? Had no idea it existed and love a good hot pot spot, though I've admittedly only had Chinese hot pot and not the Japanese version, and am not sure of the differences. Will have to check it out soon.
    I first heard of it about a year ago when someone here mentioned it in a ramen thread if I remember correctly.

It's been there for about a year and a half or so. For it to be right on 2nd street, it really has no frontage to the road. It's kinda hidden behind bushes and it's in a small space.

I've only had shabu shabu (which apparently translates from Japanese to swish swish) a few times, all at Tokyo Pot in Stillwater. They label themselves "Pan-Asian" and inform that some of the sauces and dishes are the owners recipes, and he's from Malaysia or someplace like that. The first two times a perfectly pleasant server helped us through the process and some of the ways we could eat it. It was phenomenal, but I'm pretty adventurous food wise and could see others being a bit intimidated. The third time, the owner was there and wow! He was a showman, ringleader and master of ceremonies; full of suggestions for different approaches to the food, mixing leftovers into a delicious soup, leading the sake bomb chants, and engaging guests with the masks and hats they encourage. A completely over the top experience that was a total blast. Without drinks, I think the most expensive platter was $22.95.

From what I've seen on line, Muu Shabu looks far more staid and traditional, and thus more intimidating. Yes, I'm that guy that researches how to eat food from places I'm unfamiliar with so I get the most out of it and more importantly don't offend. I'm pretty sure that the food is awesome based in my Tokyo Pot experience and comments here. Nevertheless, I can certainly see how their presentation as described above could be a hindrance to their immediate and possibly long-term success. I will go soon to check it out.

15. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    From what I've seen on line, Muu Shabu looks far more staid and traditional, and thus more intimidating. Yes, I'm that guy that researches how to eat food from places I'm unfamiliar with so I get the most out of it and more importantly don't offend.
    The owner was helpful and explained how it worked to us and I had read up on how to eat it before hand...... It also helped that the two women that were there when we arrived were Japanese and I was watching what they were doing before our setup arrived.

Unfortunately they do not have alcohol at Muu Shabu. I was hoping to enjoy some sake with the meal but that's definitely not a deal breaker for me.

I have heard nothing but great things about Tokyo Pot and now that I've tried shabu shabu I may have to plan a trip to Stillwater to try it there.

^^^^^

Do it. I'd call ahead to see if the owner is going to be on site. It made my last experience an order of magnitude better. Most likely weekend nights, I'd say.

Muu Shabu is really good, even for those of us that are not adept with chopsticks. Having a helpful, friendly server can make a lot of difference to the uninitiated. Sometimes we've had that experience, other times not. But don't worry about that, just go try it. If like me you want to know what you're getting into, check YouTube videos for Shabu Shabu and you can get an orientation to how to get the most out of it.

I went to a shabu shabu restaurant in Japan back in the 1990's when I was in college and on a mission trip and it's one of the most memorable experiences of the trip for me. I've been tentative about trying Muu Shabu, since comparisons to my original experience in Japan are inevitable, but after hearing your review, I'm going to have to get my wife there for date night soon!

19. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post
    I've been tentative about trying Muu Shabu, since comparisons to my original experience in Japan are inevitable, but after hearing your review, I'm going to have to get my wife there for date night soon!
    Well I'm not going to tell you the experience will be like what you had in Japan because this is in Edmond.... But I've been craving it since my first try. I may have to take a long lunch tomorrow and make the drive from downtown OKC to Edmond and have it again.

20. Default Re: Muu Shabu

It def was on a Monday

I've never eaten there but my wife (from Indonesia) and her friend (from Japan) had very good things to say about it.

22. Default Re: Muu Shabu

It def was on a Monday
    - Would definitely look empty on Monday. Not open at all that day.

23. Default Re: Muu Shabu

Had dinner here last night and they are now serving alcohol... They had several types of cold and warm sake options.

24. Default Re: Muu Shabu

This cold weather had me craving a hot pot so had dinner here last night.

They were doing decent business for a Tuesday but I was the only non-Asian in there... On the plus side it appears the Asian community is supporting them well enough to keep them going.

They have also added an all you can eat option to their menu but it comes with a time limit of 1.5 hours.

I don't eat enough to make it worth it for me these days but if you are in the mood to stuff yourself with shabu shabu the opportunity now exists.

Thread Information