Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bar Arbolada

Default Re: Bar Arbolada

^

It's not inexpensive so I think that will continue to help shade the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It's not inexpensive so I think that will continue to help shade the crowd.
    True. However some of the crowd I hope doesn’t take over there has plenty of money to spend.

Sign in the works:

Blog Entries

OMG, what font is that?

I like the subtle LA reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    OMG, what font is that?

What on earth are they thinking???? Should’ve used Wingdings!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    What on earth are they thinking???? Should’ve used Wingdings!!!
    Nah. Comic Sans!!!!!!

The rendering required for sign permit is not very scrupulous. I think one can confidently say the final product will be (hopefully) more detail than the MS paint painted over a google maps shot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    The rendering required for sign permit is not very scrupulous. I think one can confidently say the final product will be (hopefully) more detail than the MS paint painted over a google maps shot.
    We were just poking fun of the supposed font controversy ��*♂️Of the Steelyard.

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    we were just poking fun of the supposed font controversy ��*♂️of the steelyard.
    Yep!!!!

It's like I can read this and Steelyard's signs TOO well...

Went out bar hopping last night for my birthday and decided to hit a few places haven't been to before. Cool little place and was a little busy when we first got there due to a concert at the Jones Assembly.

Drinks were decent...service was not. The bartender was surly and rude with an air that he was doing us a favor helping us. Even though they have nice booths and tables....you have to order your drinks at the bar. It is actually written on the wall at the booth that you have to order your drinks at the bar. I don't get this....am I at McDonalds? If it is slow...why can't they help you tableside and if they are busy....why do I have to go to the bar and fight through the people standing at the bar. They appeared to be running a bartender and a bar back on a Tuesday when maybe they should have a bartender and a cocktail waitress. It would maybe help with the bartender's attitude if he had to wash a glass. We were there after it slowed down and the bartender only had two people at the bar when a couple walked in and sat at a table. Didn't acknowledge them at all and waited till they came up to the bar after they sat down for 3-4 minutes at a table.

The $6 drink menu is gone but some of the drinks are still available if you ask. My old fashioned with a basic call liquor was $15 which is about $3 higher than other places in town for the same drink/liquor and they will bring it to my table. I very rarely tip less than 20% and still did this time but thought about less. Serious question....why should I tip 20% when I have to basically get my own drinks? You have lessened the service provided.

13. Default Re: Bar Arbolada

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Went out bar hopping last night for my birthday and decided to hit a few places haven't been to before. Cool little place and was a little busy when we first got there due to a concert at the Jones Assembly.

Drinks were decent...service was not. The bartender was surly and rude with an air that he was doing us a favor helping us.
    I was there last night from about 6:30 to 7:30 PM having a drink before heading to the concert and some of my group were complaining about being able to get the bartenders attention.... I didn't have any problem when I walked up to the bar though. He hit me up before I even had a chance to look over what they had.... Only complaint I have is they didn't have any of the whiskeys there that I usually drink.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I was there last night from about 6:30 to 7:30 PM having a drink before heading to the concert and some of my group were complaining about being able to get the bartenders attention.... I didn't have any problem when I walked up to the bar though. He hit me up before I even had a chance to look over what they had.... Only complaint I have is they didn't have any of the whiskeys there that I usually drink.
    We were there about the same time. I didn't have to wait on the bartender long as they weren't that busy when we were ordering drinks. My issue is that you are out with your friends and you have to leave them to go up and get your own drinks. If I am at a dive bar, that is one thing. But at this level of a bar with this level of drink prices.....shouldn't have to go to the bar and leave my friends and wife at the table. With the signs on the wall...,they have made a decision that they are going to lessen the service they are going to provide you and it is a level that I find unacceptable for a place like this when I can go to dozens of other bars in the city and not have to fetch my own drinks. Thus, I won't go back.

Even though they have nice booths and tables....you have to order your drinks at the bar. It is actually written on the wall at the booth that you have to order your drinks at the bar. I don't get this....am I at McDonalds?

...We were there after it slowed down and the bartender only had two people at the bar when a couple walked in and sat at a table. Didn't acknowledge them at all and waited till they came up to the bar after they sat down for 3-4 minutes at a table.

The $6 drink menu is gone but some of the drinks are still available if you ask. My old fashioned with a basic call liquor was $15 which is about $3 higher than other places in town for the same drink/liquor and they will bring it to my table...
    I am a fan of OKC's cocktail bars and cocktail craft in general. I like Bar Arbolada and go there regularly. My other regular haunts are R&J's, Powerhouse, and Ludivine.

Bar Arbolada is one of the most affordable nice cocktail spots in downtown OKC. It sounds like your biggest hang-up was the lack of table service. Personally, I have no issue with non-existent waitstaff in a bar that small. I am sure the lack of waiters and waitresses helps keep costs lower thereby allowing them to offer their cocktails for a few bucks less than their competition at O bar, Sidecar, Ludivine, the Jones, etc. I prefer this system and have never thought twice about the lack of table service. As you said, the expectation of ordering at the bar is clearly noted at each table. What's the problem?

You say that your old fashioned was $15?!? I don't meant to suggest you are lying but I do think it's possible that you ordered some pricey whiskey or that there was some other mistake by the staff. I recently had an old-fashioned with well whisky at Bar Arbolada and I'm nearly certain it was less than $10.00 - I want to say $8?

I was also in this past Saturday before a work Christmas party. I took a pic of the menu (sent it on to a friend who manages a high-end cocktail bar in Tulsa as he is an entry-level sommelier and is always curious for what offerings OKC spots have). I posted the pic below and it includes prices. There's no way a well-liquor drink was $15 in there. Are you sure you didn't stumble into Sidecar and get confused?

*EDIT: I just texted a co-worker who drinks at Bar Arbolada weekly. The price of a well old-fashioned is $6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arbo.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	15077  

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    I am a fan of OKC's cocktail bars and cocktail craft in general. I like Bar Arbolada and go there regularly. My other regular haunts are R&J's, Powerhouse, and Ludivine.

Bar Arbolada is one of the most affordable nice cocktail spots in downtown OKC. It sounds like your biggest hang-up was the lack of table service. Personally, I have no issue with non-existent waitstaff in a bar that small. I am sure the lack of waiters and waitresses helps keep costs lower thereby allowing them to offer their cocktails for a few bucks less than their competition at O bar, Sidecar, Ludivine, the Jones, etc. I prefer this system and have never thought twice about the lack of table service. As you said, the expectation of ordering at the bar is clearly noted at each table. What's the problem?

You say that your old fashioned was $15?!? I don't meant to suggest you are lying but I do think it's possible that you ordered some pricey whiskey or that there was some other mistake by the staff. I recently had an old-fashioned with well whisky at Bar Arbolada and I'm nearly certain it was less than $10.00 - I want to say $8?

I was also in this past Saturday before a work Christmas party. I took a pic of the menu (sent it on to a friend who manages a high-end cocktail bar in Tulsa as he is an entry-level sommelier and is always curious for what offerings OKC spots have). I posted the pic below and it includes prices. There's no way a well-liquor drink was $15 in there. Are you sure you didn't stumble into Sidecar and get confused?
    If you read my post a little closer, you will see that I clearly said it was a call liquor "My old fashioned with a basic call liquor was $15 which is about $3 higher than other places in town for the same drink/liquor" I order the same drink all over town and rarely pay more than $12. On the receipt...they charged $9.00 for the call liquor then added an additional $4 for top shelf neat and then added $2 for old fashioned. This "top shelf" call liquor sells retail for about $35 a bottle so we aren't talking high end whiskies here. I would not consider this place to be less expensive than other establishments in this town and yet...they can provide table service. We were at Powerhouse before coming here and had great service and their prices were much better,

When I go to a nice place on a date....I don't expect to leave my date to get drinks. The bartender was an ass to my friend's wife when we walked in and never got any better. I am glad you enjoy it though.

We were there about the same time. I didn't have to wait on the bartender long as they weren't that busy when we were ordering drinks. My issue is that you are out with your friends and you have to leave them to go up and get your own drinks. If I am at a dive bar, that is one thing. But at this level of a bar with this level of drink prices.....shouldn't have to go to the bar and leave my friends and wife at the table. With the signs on the wall...,they have made a decision that they are going to lessen the service they are going to provide you and it is a level that I find unacceptable for a place like this when I can go to dozens of other bars in the city and not have to fetch my own drinks. Thus, I won't go back.
    FWIW, in my experience this is often the case at Oak & Ore as well. Especially when they aren't busy, but even sometimes when they are, you have to squeeze your way up at the bar to order drinks (and even food!). It doesn't bother me a whole lot, but it certainly isn't just Bar Arbolada that has this model.

Drinks were decent...service was not. The bartender was surly and rude with an air that he was doing us a favor helping us. Even though they have nice booths and tables....you have to order your drinks at the bar.
    I can attest to this. Before I went for the first time, I had a buddy warn me that the bartenders are "major DB's". After ordering our drinks and sitting down, my girlfriend made a remark about how rude the bartender was to her (I didn't warn her about what I had heard). Went a second time with a group of guys and they all made remarks about the bartenders. The environment is really cool, but it wouldn't hurt for the staff to get a little lesson etiquette.

If you read my post a little closer, you will see that I clearly said it was a call liquor "My old fashioned with a basic call liquor was $15 which is about $3 higher than other places in town for the same drink/liquor" I order the same drink all over town and rarely pay more than $12. On the receipt...they charged $9.00 for the call liquor then added an additional $4 for top shelf neat and then added $2 for old fashioned. This "top shelf" call liquor sells retail for about $35 a bottle so we aren't talking high end whiskies here. I would not consider this place to be less expensive than other establishments in this town and yet...they can provide table service. We were at Powerhouse before coming here and had great service and their prices were much better,

When I go to a nice place on a date....I don't expect to leave my date to get drinks. The bartender was an ass to my friend's wife when we walked in and never got any better. I am glad you enjoy it though.
    I did mis-read your quote. My bad. I am still surprised that they would charge more compared to other bars as literally everything else on their menu is cheaper than their counterparts. Sorry to hear you had a bad time.

Out of curiosity, what whisky did you order with your old fashioned?

I'm trying to think of what bars in the downtown area actually have table service/cocktail waitresses that don't serve food... As far as I know or recall you have to get your own drinks at any bar in the downtown area, again unless the place provides a food menu. I personally don't have an issue with having to go to the bar to order my own drinks, because its something I'm accustomed to doing.

21. Default Re: Bar Arbolada

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    I can attest to this. Before I went for the first time, I had a buddy warn me that the bartenders are "major DB's". After ordering our drinks and sitting down, my girlfriend made a remark about how rude the bartender was to her (I didn't warn her about what I had heard). Went a second time with a group of guys and they all made remarks about the bartenders. The environment is really cool, but it wouldn't hurt for the staff to get a little lesson etiquette.
    My experience was totally different. He was helpful with me... I asked for my first two whiskeys of choice and when he said they didn't have them I asked for something comparable and he recommended a whiskey and then I asked for ice and he asked if I wanted a couple of small or a large ball..... So my service seems to have been above average compared to others experiences in that respect.... The whiskey he recommended was good but not as good to me as what I usually drink.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    My experience was totally different. He was helpful with me... I asked for my first two whiskeys of choice and when he said they didn't have them I asked for something comparable and he recommended a whiskey and then I asked for ice and he asked if I wanted a couple of small or a large ball..... So my service seems to have been above average compared to others experiences in that respect.... The whiskey he recommended was good but not as good to me as what I usually drink.
    I've also visited Arbolada several times and I've never had bad service. The bartenders have always been helpful and informative on the signature drinks, even suggesting alternate liquors to us in drinks if we didn't like something. At the end of the day, I think it all comes down to personal preference and understanding that not every place I visit will do things the exact way I want them done.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    I'm trying to think of what bars in the downtown area actually have table service/cocktail waitresses that don't serve food... As far as I know or recall you have to get your own drinks at any bar in the downtown area, again unless the place provides a food menu. I personally don't have an issue with having to go to the bar to order my own drinks, because its something I'm accustomed to doing.
    I am including bar food as they serve bar food here also but off the top of my head.....Sidecar, Powerhouse, STAG, OBar.

This isn't directed at JRod but I am also curious about my original question....why should I tip 20% for forced counter service and having to go to the bar for water refills as well as having to bring my empties to the bar or having them sit on my table till I leave? They have lessened the service they are providing the consumer but expect the same tip? I very rarely ever tip less than 20% but this kind of bothers me but could also be that bartender was not particularly friendly.

It was interesting when the couple came in and sat at a table and the bartender had only 2 people at the bar and was just doing busy work...he didn't even say hi or acknowledge the couple until they came to him at bar after they finally realized they had to order at the bar, So even when you aren't busy....you aren't going to go out of your way to provide any type of customer service or basic greeting?

Quote Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
    Remember, Arbolada does serve food.

I am including bar food as they serve bar food here also but off the top of my head.....Sidecar, Powerhouse, STAG, OBar.

This isn't directed at JRod but I am also curious about my original question....why should I tip 20% for forced counter service and having to go to the bar for water refills as well as having to bring my empties to the bar or having them sit on my table till I leave? They have lessened the service they are providing the consumer but expect the same tip? I very rarely ever tip less than 20% but this kind of bothers me but could also be that bartender was not particularly friendly.

It was interesting when the couple came in and sat at a table and the bartender had only 2 people at the bar and was just doing busy work...he didn't even say hi or acknowledge the couple until they came to him at bar after they finally realized they had to order at the bar, So even when you aren't busy....you aren't going to go out of your way to provide any type of customer service or basic greeting?
    I'm probably a bit of a cheapskate but I don't ever tip 20% if i'm just out for drinks and I'm sitting at the bar. Usually 10%, unless the service is really good. Last place I can think of where I was happy to tip large for sitting at the bar was Scratch.

Just out of curiosity, what expectation did you receive that you were supposed to tip 20%? Was there gratuity (I didn't see that in your post) or a sign or something? Or just saying because that's your baseline you felt like you should? I guess I don't understand how there was an expectation of a certain tip level made upon you.

Thread Information