Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicles

Default Re: Stream of Consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That's a fairly impressive number considering it's world-wide. The US is going to get left behind if we don't step up.
    being slower to adopt EV's will be a positive for the USA not a negative ..

How about the Dodge Demon 170 coming out - 1025 HP. Gonna miss the HP wars. EV's might be fast but they're also soul less and can't do much other than accelerate in a straight line. Personally if I'm buying a sports car I want my ass to rumble from the engine & drivetrain. There are plenty of car enthusiasts who feel the same way. That said it will be exciting to see what comes out in the next few years as things progress but I'm personally nowhere close to switching. If I had to pick between a BMW M5 for example vs a Tesla Plaid would go M5 all day every day even though it's not as fast in a straight line. Hell of a lot more fun to drive all the way around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    How about the Dodge Demon 170 coming out - 1025 HP. Gonna miss the HP wars. EV's might be fast but they're also soul less and can't do much other than accelerate in a straight line. Personally if I'm buying a sports car I want my ass to rumble from the engine & drivetrain. There are plenty of car enthusiasts who feel the same way. That said it will be exciting to see what comes out in the next few years as things progress but I'm personally nowhere close to switching. If I had to pick between a BMW M5 for example vs a Tesla Plaid would go M5 all day every day even though it's not as fast in a straight line. Hell of a lot more fun to drive all the way around.
    What makes it more fun to drive? EVs on average should also handle better due to the low center of gravity.

I agree. EVs are soulless and though they can be fun to drive I just don’t feel connected to the road and track like I do with ICE cars.

5. Default Re: Stream of Consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I agree. EVs are soulless and though they can be fun to drive I just don’t feel connected to the road and track like I do with ICE cars.
    Enjoy them while you can. I bet by 2035, ICEs will be disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I might be interested in taking that bet. Define 'disappearing'.

https://ww2.motorists.org/blog/auto-...n-ev-adoption/

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    What makes it more fun to drive? EVs on average should also handle better due to the low center of gravity.
    The entire driving experience. A Tesla feels very "cold" so to speak. It's a giant computer. Now the new Corvette E-Ray and some of the other electric cars coming from the German manufacturers & super car makers, can't wait. I'm sure they'll change things entirely.

Speed isn't everything. At lunch today a new Corvette pulled up next to me and wanted to race. There was no way I was going to win so I didn't even try. When the light turned green he floored it and was gone. At the next stop light I pulled up next to him again, hit the button to open my convertible top, smiled, waved, and made a slow right turn at the light.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I do. My primary source of travel now is public transportation but I enjoy my drives. I have several cars my favorite is my 124 Abarth(finally got my first sports car). I wanna get a high end sports car if I can make enough money in time but I don’t think I will. :/// Rentals it is for now haha

Some people may feel - and rightly so, to their point of view - that certain types of cars are more “fun” to drive. I just don’t think the average person really cares about that. The average person is not a car enthusiast. They will do what makes sense in the moment. They’ll have maybe one more ICE car and when the world changes, they will change.

11. Default Re: Stream of Consciousness

The only thing that bothers me about electric vehicles is imagining what Oklahoma City looks like in a world where gasoline usage is half of what it is now.

^

The rate at which we are building very large gas stations is concerning. Think about all the new places either recently built or planned by OnCue, 7-Eleven, Caseys, Loves, Domino, QuikTrip, eExpress, and several others. It's staggering.

I sure hope they have plans to make the move to electric charging but it seems it will be more likely done at grocery stores and places of work or coffee shops, since stopping to charge is likely going to take longer, at least for a while. And of course, most people are going to charge at home.

I've said before that all these new c-stores should include an area that could become more of a lounge where people could spend more time. Today, even the nicer ones have little more than some cheap tables and chairs and loud title floors.

I just read Walgreens is planning a big push into charging stations and you have to know other retailers and restaurants will likely follow suit, as it would provide them with a captive buying audience.

It seems no matter what, traditional gas stations will be needed less in the near future yet in OKC they are being built at an ever-increasing rate.

The good news is, at the rate the government keeps getting in its own way, most of this forum won't be alive to see what that version of OKC looks like.

Only slightly being serious, but the IRS credit is a farce, and most EVs won't be eligible, and may never be eligible for it. States can want to be ICE free by whatever date they want, but until it becomes more affordable to make them, thus more affordable for consumers to buy, they are facing an uphill battle. This will end when more plants come on-line, but we are talking 20 to 30 years before there truly are large quantities of affordable EVs on the market. Just my opinion, and I hope to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The rate at which we are building very large gas stations is concerning. Think about all the new places either recently built or planned by OnCue, 7-Eleven, Caseys, Loves, Domino, QuikTrip, eExpress, and several others. It's staggering.

I sure hope they have plans to make the move to electric charging but it seems it will be more likely done at grocery stores and places of work or coffee shops, since stopping to charge is likely going to take longer, at least for a while. And of course, most people are going to charge at home.

I've said before that all these new c-stores should include an area that could become more of a lounge where people could spend more time. Today, even the nicer ones have little more than some cheap tables and chairs and loud title floors.

I just read Walgreens is planning a big push into charging stations and you have to know other retailers and restaurants will likely follow suit, as it would provide them with a captive buying audience.

It seems no matter what, traditional gas stations will be needed less in the near future yet in OKC they are being built at an ever-increasing rate.
    my guess is that ICE vechiles will make up the huge majority of vehicles in Oklahoma for a long long period of time ..

^

There are already a bunch of affordable EVs. As it stands, they are slightly more expensive than ICE counterparts but pretty equal to plug-in hybrids and we are still in the infancy of innovation.

Oil states like Oklahoma will be the slowest to adopt, just like Europe is well ahead of the U.S.

I stand by my comparison to SUVs and huge trucks. As recently as 30 years ago you rarely saw either and now they represent 80% of new vehicle sales.

The same sort of shift to EVs has already started.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    my guess is that ICE vechiles will make up the huge majority of vehicles in Oklahoma for a long long period of time ..
    No question but that doesn't mean we won't be needing fewer gas stations, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No question but that doesn't mean we won't be needing fewer gas stations, not more.
    if you go to an Oncue at 7am most of the people buying things are not even filling up their vehicle ..

if you go to an Oncue at 7am most of the people buying things are not even filling up their vehicle ..
    Very true. That's probably the case throughout the day.

I suppose all those places can just carry on and the gas pumps will be used even less.

Also, many (apart from 7-Eleven) are including drive-thrus which of course have nothing to do with pumping gas.

No doubt Oklahoma will be a late adopter to the trend. There's always a certain % and segment who will buy new things just because they are novel and EV's are no exception. Especially Tesla. How about all the giant lifted trucks on the road? Those guys aren't switching anytime soon and it's not because of cost, I bet average new truck is 80-90k now. Shorter the guy bigger the lift usually lol.

^

But even big electric trucks are better than their ICE counterparts.

Far more horsepower and torque and of course much more efficient.

How about the Dodge Demon 170 coming out - 1025 HP. Gonna miss the HP wars. EV's might be fast but they're also soul less and can't do much other than accelerate in a straight line.... If I had to pick between a BMW M5 for example vs a Tesla Plaid would go M5 all day every day even though it's not as fast in a straight line. Hell of a lot more fun to drive all the way around.
    How do you define a "soulless" car? And what do you mean by they can't do much other than accelerate in a straight line? They can do more than that, but what do you want them to do that you believe they can't? How is a BMW more fun to drive than a Tesla?

A new study was just released by JD Power. If you extrapolate, it's easy to see half of new vehicle sales being EVs by 2030.

Also and not surprisingly, Oklahoma is near the bottom in adoption rate.

With the price of new vehicles rising faster than inflation and wages, my question is are the demographics of the new car purchaser changing?
    Many young people are waiting a year or more to get a DL after reaching driving age. More transportation options with "ride sharing" for profit also. So I think some of this will factor into the market for new car sellers/buyers.

24. Default Re: Stream of Consciousness

Even so, if the huge majority of vehicles in California are EVs, that's thousands of people now out of the gasoline market, which means a decline in oil prices, which means a decline in the Oklahoma oil industry. Is our economy diversified enough that the city and state will make it through that unscathed?

Gasoline isn't the only thing made from oil. Prior to putting gasoline in cars refiners just poured the gasoline into the nearest creek.

Thread Information