Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the urban revival over?

Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    "where you do find a lot of religious people it tends to be in the less educated states" WOW! I can't believe someone could say that and be taken seriously, or take themselves seriously.
    Stats back this up. I kind of thought this was common knowledge. Utah might be the only outlier, but for the rest of the states that have the highest rates of church attendance, prayer and self-claims of being religious there is a strong correlation to being low on education rankings. Such as Bama, Miss, and Okla

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Stats back this up. I kind of thought this was common knowledge. Utah might be the only outlier, but for the rest of the states that have the highest rates of church attendance, prayer and self-claims of being religious there is a strong correlation to being low on education rankings. Such as Bama, Miss, and Okla
    I would say this is true for fundamentalism. Most fundamentalists deny accepted science, are intolerant of differing beliefs, and push for public policy that favors them at the expense of everyone else. Education is lower priority because a lot of fundamentalists homeschool or send their kids to private, church-based school. Notice that their priority when it comes to education is policies that make it easier to homeschool or promote "school choice." Take fundamentalist denominations out of the equation and it becomes a little muddier. However, it is true that Oklahoma, Alabama, and Mississippi are three states dominated by the Southern Baptist and Independent Fundamental Baptist denominations and all three states have similar problems.

Blog Entries

Correlation and causality are not the same.

New 2017 State population growth estimates released by Census Bureau. Oklahoma 0.4 or approximately +9,500. Not very far from negative growth which hasn't occurred since the dust bowl.

Blog Entries

Likely due to oil and gas slowdown, particularly in the field. People go where there are jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    It never started in south okc. Regarding north of the river, I guess it depends on the whether or not another billion + will spent by the City of OKC.
    Aside from Capitol Hill, us south siders don't really have any "urban" areas to work with - though you're right, the Urban Revival has come what feels like excruciatingly slowly to the Capitol Hill area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Likely due to oil and gas slowdown, particularly in the field. People go where there are jobs.
    % population change from 4/10 through 7/17. Numbers from Census Bureau.
    Oklahoma 4.8 %
    North Dakota 12.3%
    Texas 12.6%

Blog Entries

All oil fields aren’t homogenous and Texas is a more diversified economy.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Aside from Capitol Hill, us south siders don't really have any "urban" areas to work with - though you're right, the Urban Revival has come what feels like excruciatingly slowly to the Capitol Hill area.
    Urban as in city. South OKC is just as urban as the 10 Penn area. Over a billion dollars have been spent to revive the downtown, midtown, uptown areas. While areas south of the river have received ... maintenance facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    All oil fields aren’t homogenous and Texas is a more diversified economy.
    And North Dakota? What other industries are there?

Urban as in city. South OKC is just as urban as the 10 Penn area. Over a billion dollars have been spent to revive the downtown, midtown, uptown areas. While areas south of the river have received ... maintenance facilities.
    Not exactly... We are seeing some investment down here, just not nearly as much as other areas of the city. Investment we have seen: The MAPS3 senior center being built at SW 39th and S Walker Ave, or the Southern Oaks Health and Wellness Center, at (basically) SW 68th and S Walker, or the extensive renovations at Woodson Park. Plus a good number of sidewalks along major city streets, too. I really want to see more, though. Much more.

South OKC has seen a drip compared to what has been spent and will continue to be spent north of the river. The MAPS 3 senior center received less funding than the north side senior center. Look at the park facilities north side compared to what we have south side and the disparity is readily apparent. I will hold judgement on the Southern Oaks Health and Wellness Center till it has been operational for awhile. I appreciate your optimism but I have lost all faith in the City of OKC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    This from last year: FARGO—North Dakota's population boom, an echo of the oil boom, faded significantly over the past year as the state saw more people leave than enter in search of jobs and opportunities.

North Dakota gained 1,117 people in 2016, reaching a record population of 757,952, or a one-year increase of 0.15 percent, according to Census Bureau estimates released Tuesday, Dec. 20.

The modest population gain was in spite of the fact North Dakota experienced a net migration loss estimated at 4,684, reversing a run of significant migration gains as the state's robust energy development lured job seekers from other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Agriculture.

Selling used missile silos.

This conversation, if you can call it that, has drastically left the initial narrative and discussion.

I totally disagree with the park facilities being superior on the North side of OKC. South has Earlywine Park (awesome pool that North doesn't have), they also have Southlakes Park just to the West of Earlywine.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I totally disagree with the park facilities being superior on the North side of OKC. South has Earlywine Park (awesome pool that North doesn't have), they also have Southlakes Park just to the West of Earlywine.
    Man, I understand that that area is technically South OKC, but I believe they are talking primarily about the area of OKC north of I-240 and south of the river, sort of the real south OKC. The Earlywine area is really more of a Moore thing (I get it's in OKC, but that entire area is Westmoore schools,
    which directly affects the decency of development there). South OKC is sandwiched between areas getting far more positive work for them. Moore to the South, Mustang/Yukon to the west and Downtown and such to the North. But I suppose southside is getting all the industrial stuff around Hobby Lobby.

Edit - didn't mention East of southside. Midwest City has a ton more development and goings on than South OKC too.

18. Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    South OKC is sandwiched between areas getting far more positive work for them.
    What would you like to see and where? If you make an area defined by I40 on the north, I240 on the south, I44 on the west, and I35 on the east, where and what could be done?

Re-do Woodson?

North - Will Rogers Gardens, Martin Nature Center, Myriad Gardens, two community pools, two community centers, a dog park, and the new Scissortail Park. For the Strong Neighborhood Initiative all three selected neighborhoods were north side. The area south of I240 while part of the Moore Public School System is very much south OKC. I have never understood why people insist on lumping it together with Moore. It's not like the City of Moore pays for any improvements to the area.

20. Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

Our urban revival has just hit full swing, and I don't see CBD and surrounding areas slowing down. With big attractions not even started or finished (convention center, park, streetcar, etc.) there is so much room for developers tonswclop and new companies to locate in the area.

North - Will Rogers Gardens, Martin Nature Center, Myriad Gardens, two community pools, two community centers, a dog park, and the new Scissortail Park. For the Strong Neighborhood Initiative all three selected neighborhoods were north side. The area south of I240 while part of the Moore Public School System is very much south OKC. I have never understood why people insist on lumping it together with Moore. It's not like the City of Moore pays for any improvements to the area.
    Because if it wasn't for Moore Public Schools, that area would be identical to south OKC, north of I-240.

That area is much more an extension of Moore than it is an extension of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Because if it wasn't for Moore Public Schools, that area would be identical to south OKC, north of I-240.

That area is much more an extension of Moore than it is an extension of OKC.
    I agree with this. I would say the northside equivalent is pretty much all of north OKC above the Kilpatrick. Most of that is either an extension of Edmond or Deer Creek, yet is still technically considered OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The fact they crosses are still displayed on the towers is laughable. Any other major cities do that? Houston and Dallas do not anymore. I believe they stopped awhile ago.
    I find the crosses laughable at Christmas because a cross is associated with the death of Jesus, not his birth.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I don't think SLC is in the same breath as OKC. I think their religion is whacky but seems most Mormon conservatives are more open minded than what you describe and mention in every post possible in OKC. Plus, skiing in your backyard and a major airline hub.
    Mormons hold back their people and state less so than Baptists. Interesting how Utah was the last state needed to repeal alcohol prohibition. From there the state promptly went on to repeal prohibition at the state level.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    What's funny is, I think a few decades ago they all voted blue. Abortion is the issue that pushed them red, everything else since the 90's has just been fuel to the fire.
    No, I rather think passing civil rights legislation signed by a Democrat president was what pushed Oklahoma red, especially for the beginning stages. Oklahoma was only a little more opened minded toward desegregation than the Southern states. Forced busing of OKC school students to enforced desegregation in the schools was a very hot issue.

Thread Information