Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the urban revival over?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    If the people who own the towers want to display crosses then they have the right to do so. Tolerance goes both ways.
    This. A great number of people these days are forgetting that tolerance is a 2-way street.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    So you are arguing against capitalism? If they own the building, they can do whatever the heck they want with the lights on the building, as long as it doesn't break any laws. Which a cross doesn't.
    Nowhere in my post did I say they should be forced to stop displaying crosses. I just should said it’s laughbale that they do. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    If the people who own the towers want to display crosses then they have the right to do so. Tolerance goes both ways.
    Amen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I agree that there is much within fundamentalist Christianity I don't agree with and, there are times, that it holds back progress. At the same time, there needs to be an understanding that a large part of the population practices this and those who dont agree with it need to stop making fun, discriminating against it and otherwise demonstrating intolerance of faith and it's practices. The left seems to want to bend over backwards to Islam and those who practice it - yet tolerate practices within Islam that are far more extreme in the name of understanding and avoidance of being offensive.
    That remark is like saying all right wingers hate religion because they support the KKK and white separatists who hate Jews and Catholics. Because the left seems more tolerant of diversification and everyone’s right to practice their own religion doesn’t mean they support extremism that is violent or abridges others’ rights, from the right, left, or middle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Nowhere in my post did I say they should be forced to stop displaying crosses. I just should said it’s laughbale that they do. Stop putting words in my mouth.
    Why laughable? That the leadership feels strongly about something? You obviously feel strongly anti Christian and aren’t afraid to show it. Why shouldn’t they?

So I'm confused. Does all the religion bashing and quasi-political ranting mean yes the urban revival is over, or no the urban revival is not over?

OK River Re: Is the urban revival over?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why laughable? That the leadership feels strongly about something? You obviously feel strongly anti Christian and aren’t afraid to show it. Why shouldn’t they?
    I’m not anti Christian and I believe in god.

Why do you always play devils advocate?

Edit: to answer your question, because in my view, it makes OKC look like a backwards community. I’ve seen these huge crosses displayed on downtown skyscrapers in no other city. I’m embarrassed having friends around especially people I bring from LA to show OKC. They don’t say anything out of respect, but it’s obviously they are thinking “what the f@ck.” So maybe laughable isn’t the right term. I can better describe it as cringy or embarrassing.

Edit: to answer your question, because in my view, it makes OKC look like a backwards community. I’ve seen these huge crosses displayed on downtown skyscrapers in no other city. I’m embarrassed having friends around especially people I bring from LA to show OKC. They don’t say anything out of respect, but it’s obviously they are thinking “what the f@ck.” So maybe laughable isn’t the right term. I can better describe it as cringy or embarrassing.
    Maybe if we put a pentagram on our buildings, they would feel better? Obviously, I am being facetious. But how on Earth does it make OKC seem backwards? Is Jesus seen as a hick icon?

I can see both sides of the crosses. On one hand, it's an OKC tradition and a lot of people would be upset if it ceased. The building owners also have the choice to do it or not and that is their choice. On the other hand it does play to OKC's Bible Belt, intolerant stereotypes. I have mentioned in other threads that the city's skyline its image. This is just my opinion but it would be nice if they would fix the year-round lighting so the skyline isn't so dark and also if they would do lighting schemes for other special days/causes (in addition to the crosses) like they do in other cities.

10. Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That remark is like saying all right wingers hate religion because they support the KKK and white separatists who hate Jews and Catholics. Because the left seems more tolerant of diversification and everyone’s right to practice their own religion doesn’t mean they support extremism that is violent or abridges others’ rights, from the right, left, or middle.
    I'm not sure I understood what you wrote but OI think you took it backwards.

But how on Earth does it make OKC seem backwards? Is Jesus seen as a hick icon?
    If you or somebody close to you belonged to a demographic that frequently gets demonized by the religious wing of the Republican Party, i.e. atheists, Muslims, the LGBT community, etc, it might be easier to understand the objection. None of this would be an issue if it wasn't for Christianity being turned into a political weapon by the far right in this state and country. Still, I support the building owners' right to display them. If anything, there should be some kind of incentive for them to fix the year-round lighting.

12. Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

So, does Denver qualify as backwards because crosses are displayed on the mountainsides? There is a very bright one right above Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    So I'm confused. Does all the religion bashing and quasi-political ranting mean yes the urban revival is over, or no the urban revival is not over?
    It never started in south okc. Regarding north of the river, I guess it depends on the whether or not another billion + will spent by the City of OKC.

It was nice this weekend for my sister in law who preaches "tolerance" all the time to poke fun at us for going to Christmas Eve service to hear all the "lies."

People suck ass on both sides, no one bothers to show respect anymore.

Edit- this was in response to bchris post from 1051. I agree with what he said there

So, does Denver qualify as backwards because crosses are displayed on the mountainsides? There is a very bright one right above Denver.
    They are not on their buildings downtown. So no.

Maybe if we put a pentagram on our buildings, they would feel better? Obviously, I am being facetious. But how on Earth does it make OKC seem backwards? Is Jesus seen as a hick icon?
    Religion is something less prominent in highly educated areas of the country and where you do find a lot of religious people it tends to be in the less educated states. But I'm sure some poster here can find an example that goes against what I'm saying like having crosses on a mountain somewhere in Colorado.

17. Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

Religion is something less prominent in highly educated areas of the country and where you do find a lot of religious people it tends to be in the less educated states. But I'm sure some poster here can find an example that goes against what I'm saying like having crosses on a mountain somewhere in Colorado.
    "where you do find a lot of religious people it tends to be in the less educated states" WOW! I can't believe someone could say that and be taken seriously, or take themselves seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    "where you do find a lot of religious people it tends to be in the less educated states" WOW! I can't believe someone could say that and be taken seriously, or take themselves seriously.
    Panda's pretty much right.

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/04/26/i...less-religion/

"On one hand, among U.S. adults overall, higher levels of education are linked with lower levels of religious commitment by some measures, such as belief in God, how often people pray and how important they say religion is to them. On the other hand, Americans with college degrees report attending religious services as often as Americans with less education."

"Looking at the U.S. public as a whole, however, the answer to the question of whether more education is correlated with less religion appears to be yes. Among all U.S. adults, college graduates are considerably less likely than those who have less education to say religion is “very important” in their lives: Fewer than half of college graduates (46%) say this, compared with nearly six-in-ten of those with no more than a high school education (58%).

Highly educated Americans also are less inclined than others to say they believe in God with absolute certainty and to pray on a daily basis. And, when asked about their religious identity, college graduates are more likely than others to describe themselves as atheists or agnostics (11% of college grads vs. 4% of U.S. adults with a high school education or less)."

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Panda's pretty much right.

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/04/26/i...less-religion/

"On one hand, among U.S. adults overall, higher levels of education are linked with lower levels of religious commitment by some measures, such as belief in God, how often people pray and how important they say religion is to them. On the other hand, Americans with college degrees report attending religious services as often as Americans with less education."

"Looking at the U.S. public as a whole, however, the answer to the question of whether more education is correlated with less religion appears to be yes. Among all U.S. adults, college graduates are considerably less likely than those who have less education to say religion is “very important” in their lives: Fewer than half of college graduates (46%) say this, compared with nearly six-in-ten of those with no more than a high school education (58%).

Highly educated Americans also are less inclined than others to say they believe in God with absolute certainty and to pray on a daily basis. And, when asked about their religious identity, college graduates are more likely than others to describe themselves as atheists or agnostics (11% of college grads vs. 4% of U.S. adults with a high school education or less)."
    And all that means nothing. If a building owner wants to put a cross on his building, there is not a single solitary law or reason why me he can't. Not one. If Panda doesn't like it, he can buy his own building.

The fact they crosses are still displayed on the towers is laughable. Any other major cities do that? Houston and Dallas do not anymore. I believe they stopped awhile ago.
    Don't know if this counts as "major city" but I'm pretty sure I saw one in New Orleans just a week ago on one of their skyscrapers.

If a building owner wants to put a cross on his building, there is not a single solitary law or reason why me he can't. Not one.
    There have been exactly zero people in this thread who have claimed otherwise. But cool.

23. Default Re: Is the urban revival over?

They are not on their buildings downtown. So no.
    LOL. Whats the difference? Its still the Christian religious symbol towering over a city. Or maybe its OK on a mountain because its not man-made? God made the mountain so we can put the symbol of God on the mountain?

LOL. Whats the difference? Its still the Christian religious symbol towering over a city. Or maybe its OK on a mountain because its not man-made? God made the mountain so we can put the symbol of God on the mountain?
    Fair enough.

Wow, this thread is a complete disaster. Might as well lock it up at this point.

Thread Information