Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC library director fired...?

Default OKC library director fired...?

http://newsok.com/library-system-par...rticle/5561658

I did not see this posted elsewhere in the forums; forgive me if I just missed it. The tone of the article implies something was building for some time before this action was taken, perhaps in the realm of getting the library system a more comprehensive online presence? Maybe it's just too early for me, but the article left me wondering what happened.

I was more than a bit stunned to discover the director position yields a $157K annual salary. Eeeyyiiikes.

2. Default Re: OKC library director fired...?

I don't know anything whatsoever about this particular staff decision, but just to chime in on the compensation thing: if I heard about a CEO of an organization in the private sector with 19 locations, 500 employees, 10 million annual customer visits and a $30 million budget, I'd be thinking that $157K/year was shockingly LOW.

Default Re: OKC library director fired...?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I don't know anything whatsoever about this particular staff decision, but just to chime in on the compensation thing: if I heard about a CEO of an organization in the private sector with 19 locations, 500 employees, 10 million annual customer visits and a $30 million budget, I'd be thinking that $157K/year was shockingly LOW.
    That's because it is low compared to private industry. The State has the same problem (paying 15-25% below market for executive and technical positions). It's gotten so bad with OMES that they no longer post the salary range for technical and executive unclassified openings.

4. Default Re: OKC library director fired...?

Well you don't go in to non-profit or state work because you want a salary. You go for experience/title to get you to the next level corporately.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    That's because it is low compared to private industry. The State has the same problem (paying 15-25% below market for executive and technical positions). It's gotten so bad with OMES that they no longer post the salary range for technical and executive unclassified openings.
    OMES is a joke and a money dump. I work with some state organizations, and they don't like working with them, and then some of the things OMES shows that they can help with, they can't and they have to seek private companies help, so we are right back where we were headed, only that OMES is a paid middle man. Some state, county, and school organizations are figuring out that they don't have to use OMES, and are bypassing them, and are working with companies directly, which again points to the fact that OMES is a professional middle man that your tax $ are paying for. Plus if these organizations go outside of OMES, that will create competition, and they will likely save $ by competition, and less tax $ spent.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well you don't go in to non-profit or state work because you want a salary. You go for experience/title to get you to the next level corporately.
    Or because you love public service?

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    OMES is a joke and a money dump. I work with some state organizations, and they don't like working with them, and then some of the things OMES shows that they can help with, they can't and they have to seek private companies help, so we are right back where we were headed, only that OMES is a paid middle man. Some state, county, and school organizations are figuring out that they don't have to use OMES, and are bypassing them, and are working with companies directly, which again points to the fact that OMES is a professional middle man that your tax $ are paying for. Plus if these organizations go outside of OMES, that will create competition, and they will likely save $ by competition, and less tax $ spent.
    2 words: Preston Doerflinger.

He is the reason OMES has become what it is today. He and Fallin sold the State a bill of goods eight years ago with the pie in the sky promises of massive cost savings by forcing State IT consolidation. True, there were savings to be had, but those published reports are nothing but fiction, using massaged numbers to reach the stated goals.

2 words: Preston Doerflinger..
    + 1,000

2 words: Preston Doerflinger.

He is the reason OMES has become what it is today. He and Fallin sold the State a bill of goods eight years ago with the pie in the sky promises of massive cost savings by forcing State IT consolidation. True, there were savings to be had, but those published reports are nothing but fiction, using massaged numbers to reach the stated goals.
    "IT Consolidation" may be two of the most evil words being used to peddle "tech" services by, ahem, "curious" consultants. They'll pop out a bunch of great-looking Powerpoint slides to show you how inefficient your IT is because it isn't "consolidated," sell you on the idea they should consolidate it, but what they end up doing is just replacing what you have with another disparate set of tools that's often just as "unconsolidated" as what you had before - with untold and scandalous amounts of money spent on the back end to make it all work.

Thread Information