Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SkyWest Airlines

Default SkyWest Airlines

SkyWest Airlines to bring 375 jobs to OKC

The City of Oklahoma City is seeking to provide $2 million in economic incentives to finalize a deal with SkyWest Airlines which would result in a large new maintenance facility at Will Rogers World Airport and the creation of 375 new jobs over the next five years.

The Oklahoma City Economic Development trust will decide in its meeting next week whether to allocate the incentives from funds earmarked for job creation and raised through the issuance of a general obligation bond. Similar funds are included in the up-coming election to decision on a new G.O. bond.

SkyWest is based in St. George, Utah and flies in a partnership with Alaska Airlines, as United Express on behalf of United Airlines, as American Eagle on behalf of American Airlines, and as Delta Connection on behalf of Delta Airlines. All four airlines are served by Will Rogers.

The airline employs more than 12,000 people in North America and carried over 30 million passengers in 2016 on a fleet of over 400 aircraft.

Under the terms of the agreement, SkyWest would build at 135,000 square foot maintenance facility at Will Rogers at 6325 S. Portland Avenue, which would be directly south of Field Aviation.

It is anticipated that the 367 new jobs would average $56,740 in annual salary.

SkyWest currently operates maintenance bases in Boise, Chicago O'Hare, Colorado Springs, Detroit, Fort Wayne, Fresno, Milwaukee, Nashville, Palm Springs, Salt Lake City, South Bend and Tucson.

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce and economic development officials from Oklahoma City have worked with the company since 2016.

Estimates from the Economic Development Trust show the total financial impact to be more than $327 million over the first three years of operation. Estimated local sales and property taxes is $1.5 million for the first three years than $318,000 annually thereafter.

Default Re: SkyWest Airlines

Great News! Keep um coming (new jobs)

4. Default Re: SkyWest Airlines

Sounds like a win win. Good to see.

I think I'll be moving back to OKC sooner than expected.

HangryHippo Guest

Excellent news! The more OKC can capitalize on aviation, the better!

so deal is NOT final yet? the project bid out back in the first week of July

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    so deal is NOT final yet? the project bid out back in the first week of July
    Technically, no. The OKC EDT and then the City Council have to approve the incentives.

In reality, it's already a done deal because both bodies have a 100% approval rate of these types of things.

It was the same with Niagara Bottling who was already under construction before the incentives were officially approved.

This is a no brainer

It's pretty exciting to see the continued growth of the aviation sector in OKC.

Pete do you know when they expect to have this completed?

This is very exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    http://m.newsok.com/article/5560159

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    You look at Memphis and how it has positioned itself as such a key logistical hub with FedEx. We already seem to have a decent foothold with long-haul trucking, but it would be absolutely killer if OKC could start to approach what Memphis has done with aviation and logistics.

Isn't FedEx HQ'd there?

Isn't FedEx HQ'd there?
    Don't let facts ruin a guys dream. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Don't let facts ruin a guys dream. lol
    It's weird how much you hate OKC. Never a positive post from you.

I mean I like where Chuck is going, aerospace is an industry we should go after, but getting what FedEx has in Memphis or UPS in Louisville would take a bit more.

I mean I like where Chuck is going, aerospace is an industry we should go after, but getting what FedEx has in Memphis or UPS in Louisville would take a bit more.
    Yea, I mean I said "approach" what Memphis has, not "equal" it. I have several friends who fly for FedEx so I understand its positioning quite well. What's clear is that we're heading in the right direction with Boeing and these new airlines.

19. Default Re: SkyWest Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    We already seem to have a decent foothold with long-haul trucking...
    I've heard Oklahoma City is one of the trucking hubs of the counntry but could you elaborate on that? Just curious.

Any update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Any update on this?
    Site work is being done in preparation for building piers and foundation work.

This is the new SkyWest facility under construction just to the east of the new Portland Ave, just as it curves to the east as you head south.

I noticed in the aviation thread someone mentioned Alaska Airlines may be increasing their footprint here. I know SkyWest does some of their flights, so with this new facility is there thought that there will be a decent expansion?

HangryHippo Guest

It may be just me, but I hate the lights that the city has used around the airport. Airports are supposed to be modern and these old-fashioned knock offs just look completely out of place to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It may be just me, but I hate the lights that the city has used around the airport. Airports are supposed to be modern and these old-fashioned knock offs just look completely out of place to me.
    What a weird thing to hate

Thread Information