Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

Default Re: Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

^

I believe those old conceptual plans were before they moved Portland to the east and created tons more property that could be accessed by the runways.

I really think that is a much better use down there and they have already announced two sizable facilities (SkyWest and FedEx) and there are more coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I believe those old conceptual plans were before they moved Portland to the east and created tons more property that could be accessed by the runways.

I really think that is a much better use down there and they have already announced two sizable facilities (SkyWest and FedEx) and there are more coming.
    Well, see, here's where confused recollections emerge...I recalled them using the development as the rationale for moving Portland to the east, thus allowing them to facilitate new retail....And lets face it, surely they didn't line "New Portland" with all those pretty streetlights to attract just a maintenance hangar....and again, I go back to those renderings I saw of a much broader retail presence in the area, too. So I don't *think* I'm imagining all of it

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Well, see, here's where confused recollections emerge...I recalled them using the development as the rationale for moving Portland to the east, thus allowing them to facilitate new retail....And lets face it, surely they didn't line "New Portland" with all those pretty streetlights to attract just a maintenance hangar....and again, I go back to those renderings I saw of a much broader retail presence in the area, too. So I don't *think* I'm imagining all of it
    I'm with you 100%. Their plans didn't pan out, and maybe now aviation is a better use, I can agree to some degree with Pete on that. But why in the heck did they make this nice concrete road from 54th to 104th with some of the nicest streetlights in the city, to just line it with a bunch of big metal airplane hangars, and maybe some C-Stores.

It is almost impossible for south okc to compete for retail with moore' S incentives, the millions of dollars spent by the city north of the river and zero promotion by the chamber. If the city of okc only sees south okc as a place to locate its maintenance facilities, why would it be any different for businesses?

5. Default Re: Development of property south of Crest at SW 104th?

I remember something about a restaurant with a patio facing the runway so you can watch the planes come and go. I was really wanting to go there and have a drink or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I used to go to the airport meetings religiously for years, it was most definitely not as you describe. The initial Lariat landing plan was to relocate Portland to the east to allow for more aviation development west of the new Portland alignment. Anything east of the new Portland alignment was going to be retail, hotels, and offices.

Courtesy of the Wayback Timemachine.

That is from 2012.

Thanks catch22. That’s the map I was originally thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Thanks catch22. That’s the map I was originally thinking of.
    Ditto. All I need now is the prior renderings

So, possible stupid question here, but in moving Portland to the east, did the Airport Trust gain any land from the city? And was not the Portland move financed in some part by municipal dollars? I have this (very) vague recollection there was some sort of unusual funding for that project...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Ditto. All I need now is the prior renderings

So, possible stupid question here, but in moving Portland to the east, did the Airport Trust gain any land from the city? And was not the Portland move financed in some part by municipal dollars? I have this (very) vague recollection there was some sort of unusual funding for that project...
    This was all airport trust owned land. They owned everything up to I-44 North to Airport Rd. and South to 104th. The airport has a ton of acreage.

Thread Information