Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would be state capitol? (Putnam City/Warr Acres subterranean tunnels)

Default Re: Would be state capitol? (Putnam City/Warr Acres subterranean tunnels)

MattB, this is awesome. .... and very sad at the same time. I went to PC Central from '67 - '77, ... . kindergarten to 8th grade, before moving over into PC West teritory.

As I mentioned, I had heard of tunnels, but had no idea of their expansive network. My vision was that of a simple walkway between buildings or something.

What's really sad is that the whole time I attended school there, no one ever mentioned the rich history that our school grounds were on, and the surrounding area.

I remember in the late 60's the jr high building on the east side of Grove burned in a late night fire, but the gym was saved.
    After the fire jr high students attended school accross the street at the church across the street. When I was in jr high, the old gym was still there and I remember a WPA plaque attached to the front by the doors.

I also remember an old wood frame building that stood along Ann Arbor, from 40th to 39th next to the intermediate building. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, that building was torn down to make room for a cafeteria / multipurpose building.

That wood frame building was very old and at the time was home to the special ed classes.

Default Re: Would be state capitol? (Putnam City/Warr Acres subterranean tunnels)

I went to a PC Alumni meeting this week and they have some bricks from the Arnett Building.

I grabbed one... If anyone wants it, send me a message.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    He mused about what may lie in the east-west tunnel west of the Arnett, and added that Capps was to be torn down next, and that we "will find out."
    :
    I talked to a one of two of my coworkers who also attended PC, and she said the land that the old Ione YMCA branch on 58th, west of MacArthur sat on will be used to build the new Capps middle school.

So everything east of Grove to Ann Arbor will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I talked to a one of two of my coworkers who also attended PC, and she said the land that the old Ione YMCA branch on 58th, west of MacArthur sat on will be used to build the new Capps middle school.

So everything east of Grove to Ann Arbor will be gone.
    This is correct.

Pete, have you heard what the plans are for the land once it's all been cleared?

Pete, have you heard what the plans are for the land once it's all been cleared?
    No but I'll see what I can find out.

This is an interesting story. I've never heard of these tunnels.

Excellent Thread!

9. Default Re: Would be state capitol? (Putnam City/Warr Acres subterranean tunnels)

Great sleuthing, all. Keep up the good work!

Traded messages with the spokesperson for PC Schools:

"Our plan at this point is to have the new Capps Middle School be ready and open for business for the 2020-2021 school year. At some point after the new building opens and the old building is no longer needed, the old building will be torn down. There are no plans right now to put anything specifically where Capps Middle School is now. However, at some point after the school has been taken down we will build a new building that is a combination of teacher training facility, community meeting center and administrative offices. We haven’t done a site analysis yet to determine exactly where that will go. It may or may not end up on land where the Capps Middle School building or surrounding grounds are."

For those interested in PC schools history, you really should drop by our museum some Saturday, NW 40 and Grove, hours 10-2. Also the annual PCHS Alumni Association all class reunion is the last weekend in October and will include a Saturday pancake breakfast at the high school and extended hours at the museum, plus a Sunday ceremony to honor the Class of 1967 on their 50th reunion. Keep in mind the PC Schools Museum (which is volunteer run( has history and artifacts from all PC schools, from elementary through the three high schools.

The info about the NW 39 site is correct. The bond issue set for this fall includes funds to finish the new Capps Middle School at the old Ione Branch Y site off 58 and MacArthur. The district has also acquired some right of way to allow buses from the new school to exit onto NW 63 and avoid jamming up the residential streets in that area. Once the old Capps is gone and the new administrative center is built the only school on the original Putnam City site will be the Central Elementary School which sits on the footprint of the original PC school building constructed in 1914.

By the way our centennial history books are now on sale for $40 at the Museum.

Thank you for posting this? I had never heard of this, and I grew up in Bethany.

Thread Information