Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 171819202122

Thread: Classen Circle

Default Re: Classen Circle

I give so much credit to the new owners of Classen Circle. They keep peeling back layers trying to find a solid base on which to rebuild, and there is just more rot everywhere.

The Donnay building will be basically reconstructed but a reminder there is no design overlay so they could have saved themselves a lot of time and tremendous expense by just scraping the entire thing.

I drive by this every day and its slowly gotten worse and worse. On the bright side I drove past Classen Grill this morning and it looked like all the tables were set and the open sign was on.

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    On the bright side I drove past Classen Grill this morning and it looked like all the tables were set and the open sign was on.
    Just talked to the proprietor and she said they are training but not open for a couple more weeks.

4. Default Re: Classen Circle

I can smell the Hi Lo from the pics.

5. Default Re: Classen Circle

At this rate it will be like the OKC MOA (former Center theater) when they are finished. The MOA only kept 3 walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    I can smell the Hi Lo from the pics.
    Did it smell like Tito's and bad decisions?

7. Default Re: Classen Circle

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Did it smell like Tito's and bad decisions?
    Always.
    Equivalent to a strip clubs in house fragrance of Tommy Girl and shame.

8. Default Re: Classen Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I give so much credit to the new owners of Classen Circle. They keep peeling back layers trying to find a solid base on which to rebuild, and there is just more rot everywhere.

The Donnay building will be basically reconstructed but a reminder there is no design overlay so they could have saved themselves a lot of time and tremendous expense by just scraping the entire thing.
    Totally agree with you here. They did the right thing saving the place but the cost has to be HUGE compared to demolishing it and starting over.

Any idea on whether they are over budget at this point?

It looks like they finally gave up on it today. Midwest wrecking is there and a fair amount has been razed, especially near the corner of Classen Cir and NW 50th

Quote Originally Posted by boilerup35 View Post
    It looks like they finally gave up on it today. Midwest wrecking is there and a fair amount has been razed, especially near the corner of Classen Cir and NW 50th
    Can't say they didn't try to save it.

This always kinda reminded me of the Kowloon Walled City with how it was all stacked on top of one thing and another. Now it really does since they couldn't find any firm foundation to build upon.

Classen Grill has a 12/21 opening date listed on Google.

A shame that owners over the last 25+ years let the building go so badly.

For all the effort, it seems like the best thing at this point would be to demo the rest, buy the house, tear it down and build something iconic from the ground up

Those two remaining brick walls seem to be carefully preserved amidst the rest of the demolition, possibly a bit they decided they were going to be able to save?

This project has really slowed down since the start of the year. I drive by daily and haven't seen any kind of work being done in a while. I wonder if they are re-evaluating the project after having to demolish a lot more than they had planned?

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    This project has really slowed down since the start of the year. I drive by daily and haven't seen any kind of work being done in a while. I wonder if they are re-evaluating the project after having to demolish a lot more than they had planned?
    I'm sure that's true.

The last plans I shared came after a conversation with the current owners who thought at that time they were close to stripping all the rot. Since then, they've had to almost completely demolish the place.

And I'm sure they are way over budget.

They had crew yesterday, looked like further demo.

Thread Information