Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Circle

Default Re: Classen Circle

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    If anyone wants better eggnog then Baums (if you are bocating them or not) , go to Natural Grocers or maybe Whole Foods for Kalona eggnog. I won't say they are cheap but they use their cream top milk and put a load of spices in it. Nothing artifical, just have to shake it up before pouring. It beats Braums by miles.
    Good to know, thanks! We had tried Organic Valley, which is the only one Sprouts had, and were quite disappointed (good spice, but not rich enough, and Hiland was exactly the opposite), but we pass a Natural Grocers on the way to Uptown for our weekly trip tomorrow, we'll check it out...

2. Default Re: Classen Circle

If anyone wants better eggnog then Baums (if you are bocating them or not) , go to Natural Grocers or maybe Whole Foods for Kalona eggnog. I won't say they are cheap but they use their cream top milk and put a load of spices in it. Nothing artifical, just have to shake it up before pouring. It beats Braums by miles.
    I don't know. The alcohol I put in it usually gives all the flavor I need.

Tried Kalona and not our thing - had an interesting taste to it that I don't think I've had in any other eggnog, and I think it's the cloves in it. Not sure if that's it, but something makes it sweeter than the ones I've had before...

Classen Circle sells to new owners; all existing tenants to stay

Today, the sale closed on the historic Classen Circle properties with the new owners taking control and planning to update and renovate the buildings.

Classen Circle LLC is headed by local businessmen Josh Thomas and Scott Mueller. The acquisition price was $1.3 million for the 1.4 acres and associated buildings.

Braum's, which originally planned to purchase the property and raze it for a new store, still owns an adjacent small house.

The sale seems to signal a new future for the old Classen Circle which had long been neglected by the previous ownership.

All existing tenants will remain indefinitely, with the iconic HiLo Club receiving a renovation and expansion.

Other tenants include the venerable Classen Grill, The Drunken Fry and Charlie's Jazz-Rhythm & Blues Records.

Built in 1948, the Donnay Building houses all but the Classen Grill and was home to the old Sidecar Lounge and The Patio restaurant. HiLo has been a fixture since 1956.

When OKCTalk.com first broke the story of Braums' intention to demolish all existing structures as part of a pending purchase contract, there was swift and immediate backlash from the community, with an on-site protest, petitions to save the property and vocal opposition at a public meeting led by an attorney representing the local ice cream and dairy company.

Seemingly in response to the outcry, Braum's ultimately withdrew their application from the planning commission and the existing owner started to receive calls from other interested purchasers.

As OKCTalk was first to report, Thomas stepped forward to ink a new purchase contract contingent on thorough due diligence and inspection of the property.

HiLo owner Chris Simon told OKCTalk he is very pleased that he'll be able to stay and looks forward to further investment in his bar, which has been at this site for more than 60 years and has been a beacon for the city's LGBTQ community.

Watch our news partner KFOR Channel 4 tonight at 6PM for more information and on-camera interviews.

Such great news! Really great to see OKC keep some architectural and community history. As always, great reporting, Pete.

HangryHippo Guest

Hell yeah!

Any clue if Braum's plans to sell the property they do own? Doesn't seem to do them much good at this point unless the new owner was going to split and sell the empty lot beside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Any clue if Braum's plans to sell the property they do own? Doesn't seem to do them much good at this point unless the new owner was going to split and sell the empty lot beside it.
    I'm sure they will eventually.

this is like the best case scenario... haha I sincerely thought we were gonna lose this place.

Donnay Building at Classen Circle set for a substantial renovation.

From the Oklahoma Gazette:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/c...nt?oid=4565564

HangryHippo Guest

That. Looks. Incredible!

Is this being fixed by AHMM or Fitzsimmon? , looks like one of their renders

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner.Arch View Post
    Is this being fixed by AHMM or Fitzsimmon? , looks like one of their renders
    Follow the link to the article at the Gazette. AHMM.

Pete that is a great article and I love the way it’s laid out! Great reporting by Lang.

How are you going to decide what gets posted as news articles on News section of OKCTalk? I think I saw you post something about it, but are you eventually going to integrate OKCTalk with Gazette somehow?

Ho.... Lee.... Crap. This is fantastic. I had no idea there was a Hi Club and a Lo Club within the HiLo. I'd love to see that renewed! The building looks like it will be beautiful! I'm so excited.

I'd love to see them put in some sort of burger and shake place, just to spite Braums. That'd be pretty funny. The Gayborhood part of Dallas has this amazing shake and burger place called Hunky's that would fit in so very well here.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete that is a great article and I love the way it’s laid out! Great reporting by Lang.

How are you going to decide what gets posted as news articles on News section of OKCTalk? I think I saw you post something about it, but are you eventually going to integrate OKCTalk with Gazette somehow?
    For various reasons -- including the fact that OKCTalk gets over a million impressions every single month -- we don't want to merge anything quite yet.

Gazette will continue to do more long-form stories and OKCTalk will keep on with the breaking news and what we've always done. There will be times were OKCT does a quick story and the Gazette publishes a more expansive article.

The two are completely intertwined in terms of staff and resources, but they will remain somewhat parallel in publishing for at least a while.

^^^Thanks for the response! You must have your hands full with sorting through all of that. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^Thanks for the response! You must have your hands full with sorting through all of that. Look forward to seeing it progress.
    I'm up at 4AM every morning and work all day, every day. But I *love* it. The staff at the Gazette are crazy talented and motivated and really love OKC. It's inspiring and we have some big plans... Really want to make a difference in this community.

Well I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the level of work you put in is apparent in the quality of the site and the reporting and very appreciated.

Yeah, keep up the good work man. That just reminded me to add the Gazette to my very small number of websites I disable adblocker on haha.

OKC is extremely lucky to have people like Pete. I am extremely grateful for the information he provides and the quality of work he puts in!

22. Default Re: Classen Circle

This is an understatement. Pete and people like him have done wonders for this city. I am so proud to be a member of OKC Talk and so happy that Pete has expanded his role into the newsprint of the city.

We are definitely lucky and I say that proudly as an OKC expat! Can't wait to see how things progress and the continued impact it has.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Classen Point (Horn Seed) caught fire tonight. 50k in damage per the news.

Default Re: Braum's

Any update on this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Ho.... Lee.... Crap. This is fantastic. I had no idea there was a Hi Club and a Lo Club within the HiLo. I'd love to see that renewed! The building looks like it will be beautiful! I'm so excited.

I'd love to see them put in some sort of burger and shake place, just to spite Braums. That'd be pretty funny. The Gayborhood part of Dallas has this amazing shake and burger place called Hunky's that would fit in so very well here.
    For a bit of Trivia.. for a while in the 90's there was also a Hunkys in OKC on the gay Strip. in the spot that is now STars pizza on 39th. in fact still has the booths and Black and white floor that Hunkys installed but its REALLY rough these days since it was so long ago.. sadly at that time OKC strip was not able to keep hunkys alive. I think if it was there today it would do very well.

Thread Information