Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Thunder signed PG Trey Burke today as well.

Blog Entries

Trey Burke?

Age 24, Born Columbus, OH #33 PG 6' 1", 191 lbs

https://www.basketball-reference.com...burketr01.html

Semaj Christon will probably get cut.

Trey Burke is just invited to compete against Semaj in camp. Burke has been terrible. As bad as Semaj is, he is at least a good defender, which is more valuable for a guy who is not really expected to play. Burke could beat Semaj out, but he's not much to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    The most gung-ho guy about being in Oklahoma and on the Thunder. Gets traded. I think I'm in the minority in saying that I'll miss him.
    I actually think you're in the vast majority. Kanter is really loved because he embraced the city like no other Thunder player. Kanter lost contact with his family because of an authoritarian, murderous dicatator. It meant a lot to Kanter to have a home in OKC. I am really bummed to see him leave.

Having said that, this trade was a smart basketball move.

Blog Entries

Dan,

Does the Thunder have enough of these decent defenders that can't seem to play a lick of offense. Perkins was good for 3 or 4 points a game, he was intimidating on defense.

Thunder still has 17 on their current roster with the Anthony change: http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/...a-city-thunder

My guess, Semaj Christian, Daniel Hamilton & Norris Cole; two of the three are probably hanging by a thread.

Hint: No salary listed for Hamilton or Cole...

Hamilton and Cole are not real candidates for the team. Also, appears Trey Burke changed his mind on coming to camp with OKC. Barring a trade, Semaj still likely for that 15th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I actually think you're in the vast majority. Kanter is really loved because he embraced the city like no other Thunder player. Kanter lost contact with his family because of an authoritarian, murderous dicatator. It meant a lot to Kanter to have a home in OKC. I am really bummed to see him leave.

Having said that, this trade was a smart basketball move.
    We're going to agree to disagree. I'm basing my comment from the beginning of this off season.

How many more years are on Melo's contract vs Kanters?

9. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

I could see OKC having to waste an asset like a future pick to get rid of Singler's contract and avoid more of the tax.
    I so wish we could have offloaded Singler to the NYK instead of Kanter. I hope Enes somehow maintains a relationship with OKC and its budding Turkish community along N May. So sad to see him go.

But GREAT to get Melo, I called this back in July when it was first reported that OKC was 'talking' with him - I knew it was WB going out and getting guys he WANTS to play with and that Presti and Co believe we need to succeed. Now, OKC has a legitimate Big 3 (and maybe a Big 4 if you include Adams, who WILL have to step up) to IMO exceed Houston (far exceed SAS) and hand-idly challenge GSW. I knew Melo was coming once it was clear Houston couldn't make it happen. Nobody really gave OKC credit but now 'everybody' online is discounting Melo as a has been since he's now in OKC. ...

Well, I say - good luck but that OKC finally has the IT guys on the team that should result in OKC being an elite contender. The ONLY issue I have is do we have enough time to get the guys to gel AND does RWB sign or wait and do a lower contract next year to keep everything together, in OKC.

So much for the Big City market argument or that OKC wouldn't pay/afford the luxury tax. But hopefully guys can be a bit more humble and live moreso off their sponsorship deals to make things work. Can't wait for the season, especially how well we'll do now against GSW.

OKC's starting lineup is already the best in the NBA: Westbrook, Roberson, PG13, Melo, Adams - OMG!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Since 2008 I have been on the Russ train and I was always a bit suspicious of KD's heart, determination and sincerity. I have had many spirited discussions with friends, on social media and even on this board when I said in the past that if we lost one guy I'd rather it be KD. I have always thought that Russ was the guy I'd rather build a team around, warts and all. As far as I'm concerned KD will likely never be more than the greatest role player of all time. He is the OPPOSITE of a leader.
    I've also had these same feelings and conversations all along. Russ was always #1 to me and I hated it when everybody blamed everything on him and gave KD the accolades for the victories.

Now I wanna see what KD has to say now that OKC has leveled the playing field quite a bit; I think OKC starting line will be the best in the NBA (esp if Roberson and Adam can develop their goto shot), even though GSW bench is still better.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

To clarify, Kanter had to be in this deal to make salaries work.

Most people probably know this, but Melo is aging and I think this team will be better in the playoffs than regular season. I don't think this move will make a big difference in the regular season as I still think OKC will finish between second and fourth. Unfortunately, the Warriors are still dramatically better than us. Major injuries are probably still OKC's only hope. But we're back in the game in more ways than one. First and foremost, I think this will encourage Russ to stay and others to consider staying. I never would have imagined OKC could get high profile players like PG and Melo. I'm sometimes still amazed that OKC has a team.

Blog Entries

To clarify, Kanter had to be in this deal to make salaries work.
    Correct! Those trades have to come very close to matching is salaries; then, you can justify a future draft pick to seal the deal.

The combo big three of Westbrook, Anthony & George should make our Thunder competitive against any NBA franchise.

OKC had 66-1 odds of winning the 2018 championship when the offseason began, and those odds have skyrocketed to 16-1 after acquiring PG3 and Hoodie Melo. You just have to tip your hat to Sam Presti; the guy is a miracle worker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/okcs-nba-championship-odds-jump-to-161-after-acquiring-carmelo-anthony/amp/

In addition, don't get distracted by the Bulls converting Gary Harris, Jusuf Nurkic, Doug McDermott, Taj Gibson, and a 2nd round pick into Cam Payne.

Obviously this is a great move for OKC. Still quite a ways from being better than the Warriors, but in the age of unbalanced rosters, we are at least now in a position to beat the Warriors, even in a best of seven.

I think you solve the similar player issues with Melo/George by lots of staggering with those two. They also both have obvious pairings at SG (Memo+Robes, George+Abrines)

So much of OKC's ceiling is still going to be determined by what kinds of steps forward Grant and Abrines make. If we can count on them to average 18-20 points between them and to be acceptable defenseman, then watch out. We know that Patterson is a great fit for this team, and Adams' contribution on both ends of the floor should look markedly improved...but if this team is going to win it all, I really think Abrines+Grant+Patterson+Felton are going to have to come in and be markedly better than Iggy+Livingston+Young+Javale/West

We better enjoy the hell out of this season, because it might be our last good one for SEVERAL years coming.

2 things - Trey Burke has now declined and Melo has lost 15 pounds over the summer. Best condition he's been in for years.

And one more - Melo rescinded the trade kicker which would have cost the Thunder 8 million as a bonus to sign him. Now that's a sacrifice to play here.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Roberson's role will continue as a starter with special assignments; to be a hit man to hound & get inside the head of individual players like K.D., Curry, Leonard, Parker, Lillard...

Stephen A.: Knicks made right move considering circumstances

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2017-18

Listen, bricklayer hands, you've had all summer to improve your free throw shots. Thunder fans expect you to improve in this area. 2016-17 you shot 42.5% in the regular season & 14.3% in the post season--Let us see a new Dre in free throws: GOAL 60%

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    In addition, don't get distracted by the Bulls converting Gary Harris, Jusuf Nurkic, Doug McDermott, Taj Gibson, and a 2nd round pick into Cam Payne.
    More than how well OKC develops players and the top notch nutrition we have here (expressed by players of old and current) I feel like Sam Presti does a magnificent job of pulling off these deals where we win big and only give up a little here or there. At times I wonder if the guy has these other teams on camera doing something illegal lol.....because he is just stealing. IMHO - best GM in the NBA. Collectively, according to experts who.have played in the league, Presti is easily a top 5 maybe even top 3 consensus GM in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Listen, bricklayer hands, you've had all summer to improve your free throw shots. Thunder fans expect you to improve in this area. 2016-17 you shot 42.5% in the regular season & 14.3% in the post season--Let us see a new Dre in free throws: GOAL 60%
    Damn laramie Lmbo.....posted his picture and everything lol

Isaiah Canaan is now coming in instead of Trey Burke to compete with Semaj for the third string point guard spot. I would take Canaan over either Semaj or Burke. He's a better shooter, which can help keep the floor spaced.

Also, Dwyane Wade "liked" a tweet about a rumor if him coming to OKC. If he's coming on the minimum for his age and he accepts a lesser role then he'd be a great addition to the bolster the bench. The problem with Anthony and Wade is that aging superstars sometimes struggle accepting lesser roles to help the team win. It's a hard adjustment to make. But the reality is that I would only want Wade as long as he accepts that Roberson may be on the floor at the end of the game instead of him. Patterson may need to be out there instead of Anthony at times. That's a hard pill to swallow for superstars, but that's what OKC will need out of them.

Blog Entries

Isaiah Canaan is now coming in instead of Trey Burke to compete with Semaj for the third string point guard spot. I would take Canaan over either Semaj or Burke. He's a better shooter, which can help keep the floor spaced.

Also, Dwyane Wade "liked" a tweet about a rumor if him coming to OKC. If he's coming on the minimum for his age and he accepts a lesser role then he'd be a great addition to the bolster the bench. The problem with Anthony and Wade is that aging superstars sometimes struggle accepting lesser roles to help the team win. It's a hard adjustment to make. But the reality is that I would only want Wade as long as he accepts that Roberson may be on the floor at the end of the game instead of him. Patterson may need to be out there instead of Anthony at times. That's a hard pill to swallow for superstars, but that's what OKC will need out of them.
    I'm not so sure about superstars accepting lesser roles, let's face it if they can't perform beyond 28 like they did when they were in their prime playing days--why would you be concerned about a reduced role or playing time.

Raymond Felton should be a great backup for RW.

I'm not so sure about superstars accepting lesser roles, let's face it if they can't perform beyond 28 like they did when they were in their prime playing days--why would you be concerned about a reduced role or playing time.
    It seems like we're saying the same thing, but I can't tell...

Anyone who's seen me talk Roberson knows that I don't like him. Having that said, i bet if his practices were filmed/recorded you'd see him making them all the time. Happens to DJ/DH/Drummond all the time.

Thread Information