Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Save OKC Schools Initiative

Default Re: Save OKC Schools Initiative

I voted against the sales tax state question because I felt that a) sales tax is regressive b) ours is high enough and c) it would impede local initiatives like MAPs.

As much as the whole situation disgusts me, I'll probably go in for this one. I don't have kids, but the state of our schools is an embarrassment. I can complain that we need to increase production taxes and the like, but I don't see it happening. We're on track to becoming Brownbackistan II, and no one seems to care that a similar type of experiment failed just north of us. They just keep voting the same people in who are too busy sucking Big Oil's dick and suing the feds over point-scoring political items.

Besides, our taxes are low as hell here. I can afford to throw in a few hundred dollars a year so some teacher doesn't have to drive for Uber after hours since our reps are to gutless to do anything about it.

Vito's Restaurant (7521 N. May Ave) is a location for anyone to sign the Save OKC Schools Initiative Petition Mon-Sat from 5:00-10:00 pm. Can also pick-up/drop off petitions. IMO It's also the best Italian food in OKC www.vitosokc.com

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    I voted against the sales tax state question because I felt that a) sales tax is regressive b) ours is high enough and c) it would impede local initiatives like MAPs.

As much as the whole situation disgusts me, I'll probably go in for this one. I don't have kids, but the state of our schools is an embarrassment. I can complain that we need to increase production taxes and the like, but I don't see it happening. We're on track to becoming Brownbackistan II, and no one seems to care that a similar type of experiment failed just north of us. They just keep voting the same people in who are too busy sucking Big Oil's dick and suing the feds over point-scoring political items.

Besides, our taxes are low as hell here. I can afford to throw in a few hundred dollars a year so some teacher doesn't have to drive for Uber after hours since our reps are to gutless to do anything about it.
    Agreed 100%. The sales tax initiative was well-intentioned (mostly) but as you said regressive, and especially harmful in a state that charges sales tax on groceries.

Honestly, I was in the "fix it at the state level" camp until I saw the reactions of my teacher friends to the 'No' vote on the 1% sales tax. They were all very disheartened, feel the people of this state don't value their work, and some have begun to explore job possibilities elsewhere. This doesn't necessarily mean I wish that particular SQ had passed, but I definitely support this initiative since it doesn't have the same problems: this tax is progressive, and all the money (ostensibly) is going to OKC teachers and staff, none for administrators and none for higher education.

Personally, I'm done waiting around while we hemorrhage teachers, and I'm not willing to sit and watch our great city be dragged down by the state legislature. Is this the best case scenario? Absolutely not. But it appears to be the best case that's actually realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Agreed 100%. The sales tax initiative was well-intentioned (mostly) but as you said regressive, and especially harmful in a state that charges sales tax on groceries.

Honestly, I was in the "fix it at the state level" camp until I saw the reactions of my teacher friends to the 'No' vote on the 1% sales tax. They were all very disheartened, feel the people of this state don't value their work, and some have begun to explore job possibilities elsewhere. This doesn't necessarily mean I wish that particular SQ had passed, but I definitely support this initiative since it doesn't have the same problems: this tax is progressive, and all the money (ostensibly) is going to OKC teachers and staff, none for administrators and none for higher education.

Personally, I'm done waiting around while we hemorrhage teachers, and I'm not willing to sit and watch our great city be dragged down by the state legislature. Is this the best case scenario? Absolutely not. But it appears to be the best case that's actually realistic.
    Well said. The shortage in teachers may actually be only beginning to accelerate. We have to do something. Good article by Ben Felder this morning describing worsening teacher shortage.

http://http://newsok.com/two-thirds-...rticle/5561051

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post
    Well said. The shortage in teachers may actually be only beginning to accelerate. We have to do something. Good article by Ben Felder this morning describing worsening teacher shortage.

http://http://newsok.com/two-thirds-...rticle/5561051
    Link doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Link doesn't work.
    http://newsok.com/article/5561051

Not OKC school-specific, but a really good article about making schools better by a guy that helped start the Center for Collaborative Education (CCE) - an advocacy and support organization that would facilitate the expansion of our network of small, democratic schools across New York City.

Only democratic schools will save us (notice it's a small "d")

They have the required signatures and will be filing today to be included on the ballot.

Press release coming soon.

Thread Information