Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barseo (formerly Daiquiri Lounge)

Default Re: El Fogoncito

Well, OK. I went for the first time after 4:00 and it was delicious, but way overpriced. Today I got three tacos the same size with beans and rice for $4.50 at El Taco Loco in the Angles parking lot near NW 39th and Penn. Wonderful, but the al pastor didn't hold a candle to what they served me at Fogoncito. For that matter, the asada was good, but again didn't meet the mark. I will occasionally go to Fogoncito before 4:00 and press the point on price. That stuff is good. Notwithstanding, I think they will have to change the price point to survive; especially in that neighborhood.

2. Default Re: El Fogoncito

I tried to go here on Saturday night with some friends, but they had closed early! We got there at 9, the signs and google said they were open til 11, but this was not the case. There was not a sign saying why they closed early, so I'm pretty disappointed, but am hoping it just has to do with them being so new. Maybe they ran out of food or some other good reason to close early that I can't think of.

Went the 2nd or 3rd day they were open for lunch and had a fine experience. Salsa was complimentary and the tacos were good. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the meal, but not good enough to pull me away from my favorite taco joints. However, if I lived in the Paseo I'm sure I would frequent the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    I had the al pastor and asada tacos. Super delicious, but tiny at $3.75 per after 4:00pm. Is there anywhere else in the metro doing al pastor on a trompo (vertical spit)?
    Abel's on NW 50th and MacArthur is the only other place I've seen do al pastor tacos de trompo.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahIKnow View Post
    Abel's on NW 50th and MacArthur is the only other place I've seen do al pastor tacos de trompo.
    Thanks! But that s pretty sad. It really adds to the character of the dish. I got curious and looked up al pastor on Wikipedia, only to find that the technique was brought and adapted by Lebanese immigrants to Mexico not that long ago (comparatively speaking).

I went for lunch today and had a great experience. I had 2 pastor, 1 chorizo and 1 carnitas for $7.50 with complimentary chips and salsa (in addition to the 3 bottles of sauce for the tacos). The owner is extremely friendly and helpful making selections. The barbacoa wasn't ready yet as it takes 6 hours to make and they were behind this morning, but I am going to make a point to get back and try those as he said they are probably his favorite. Ton of food for the price, will definitely go back soon.

7. Default Re: El Fogoncito

Finally got to try this place out last night. I ordered the Asada and Chorizo tacos. Both were very good, especially the chorizo. In fact, their chorizo is some of the best I have ever had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMCXjDsiR1WlRRLWsyCPwA.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	14272

I thought I had commented here before, but I agree on the chorizo. Hands down, best I've had.

9. Default Re: El Fogoncito

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I thought I had commented here before, but I agree on the chorizo. Hands down, best I've had.
    It's so good! I have had a lot around town and it's the best I have had.

How can you order tacos there and *not* have the al pastor??? Sooo good.

11. Default Re: El Fogoncito

The chorizo is made in house too.

Pete, I’ll agree the al pastor is delicious but I like the chorizo and picadillo better.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    The chorizo is made in house too.

Pete, I’ll agree the al pastor is delicious but I like the chorizo and picadillo better.
    Pastor was by far my favorite (but I'm not a huge chorizo fan). The one time I went for lunch the owner was incredibly nice and the price for 4 tacos (under $7 I believe?) for their lunch special is an absolute steal. I am not well versed with the south side taco / Mexican restaurants, but this place hits the spot for me for a quick, relatively cheap taco spot that i can pop in and out of in under 20-30 min.

Went yesterday at lunch and yeah, al pastor - yummy! Also got a complimentary cup of meatball soup, which was really good - nice and hot and greasy. Forgot to get the picadillo taco, but that's next time, and wife wants to try the enchiladas next time, it'll be in our regular-ish rotation now for Mexican (along with Abel's), I'm guessing, instead of Casa Perico.

I finally checked this place out this week and I'm really glad I did. The pastor was incredible, but i liked all of the tacos I tried: Al Pastor, Barbacoa, Carnitas, and Chicken. I also thought all three of their sauces were excellent, particularly the orange (which contains peanut butter and is a great fit with the Al Pastor) as well as the ancho-chile Roja. It was excellent and I thought the prices were very reasonable considering the quality of the food.

15. Default Re: El Fogoncito

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How can you order tacos there and *not* have the al pastor??? Sooo good.
    Total fail on my part. Looks like I have to go back!

Went there for the lunch taco special a few weeks back, had the pastor, carnitas, barbacoa, and asada. All pretty damn tasty, forgot to try the picadillo, will do that next time along with the enchiladas. So glad we moved and Casa Perico isn't our go-to Mexican place anymore (Abel's, Birrieria Diaz, and El Fogoncito are our regulars now), more on that in that thread.

I have some friends that live nearby and walked by here last Tuesday at approximately 7 pm. While I wouldn't expect an average restaurant to do a booming dinner service on a Tuesday night, it was dark looking and completely empty of patrons. It was open however, and one of the cooks was sitting at the bar on his phone. Enjoyed it the one time I went and hopefully this was an anomaly - would like to see this restaurant stick around.

I went here for dinner on Wednesday. It was empty when we arrived, but several other patrons arrived soon after. The food, service, and prices were really good. I got three tacos, beans and rice, and two beers for $10.50 on a happy hour/special. Highly recommend giving them a try.

Not sure what is going on here, but this place has been closed for maintenance for a week or two now.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Not sure what is going on here, but this place has been closed for maintenance for a week or two now.
    They painted the exterior recently and added "Mexican Restaurant" (which looks pretty sloppy). I haven't been in since it opened, I thought it was good but nothing that had me rushing back in.

It looks like a child painted the exterior. I don't understand why they would accept that level of work. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They painted the exterior recently and added "Mexican Restaurant" (which looks pretty sloppy). I haven't been in since it opened, I thought it was good but nothing that had me rushing back in.
    Same. It wasn't awful but nothing that I really crave going back for.

This is one of those places that I really don't see making it. It's a great location and I think that intersection has a lot of potential. It just needs the right mix of tenants to create synergy. Does anybody know how the Root is doing?

Just took this. They are still closed.

24. Default Re: El Fogoncito

Hadn't been since shortly after they opened, up until maybe three weeks ago. Went in and the place was pretty empty (we were the only two by the time I left). The food was OK but not as good as the couple of times I went last year. There was also a smoke alarm low battery alert beeping, or something else of the like, that was like nails on a chalk board, and nobody seemed at all concerned.

My guess on the repaint was that it was either a desperation move by the originator of the idea or more likely a partner takeover of some sort (divorce, equity partner takeover, etc.) because the original murals seemed like a big part of their identity and this seems like a half-a**ed attempt by someone who was never that enthralled with the original vision to right a sinking ship by making it more obviously a "Mexican restaurant." Problem is, OKC has PLENTY of "Mexican restaurants" and what set this apart from them was how different it was.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Same. It wasn't awful but nothing that I really crave going back for.

This is one of those places that I really don't see making it. It's a great location and I think that intersection has a lot of potential. It just needs the right mix of tenants to create synergy. Does anybody know how the Root is doing?
    The Root had an ownership change back in May and lost their high-point license in the process, which really hurt their business. They just got their high-point license back last week (along with wine), so I am hoping business picks back up, as the people who run it are absolutely amazing, and it's a great supporter of the local music, comedy, and art scene. There's usually a concert or some other event going on most nights, and in general I think of it as sort of a meeting room for people who live in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Thread Information