Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nashbird

Default Re: Nashbird

I tried again last Friday, this time getting the buttermilk ranch flavor boneless breast and the onion rings (and the mac & cheese again). The buttermilk ranch was an interesting flavor for the fried chicken, and I was pretty impressed by the onion rings. I frequently don't like them but figured I'd give them a shot based on the reviews in this thread, and I am glad I did as they were really quite tasty.

2. Default Re: Nashbird

Ran into BChris and Plutonic Panda up here. My fam liked it! Can't wait for the basement to be ready to rent out!

Great place and damn that sandwich was hot! Went to Stag afterwards and it was really nice.

4. Default Re: Nashbird

I went there Saturday for lunch for the first time and had their chicken sandwich. I thought the sandwich was great, and I definitely want to come back again and try a few other things. I love spicy food, but wimped out a little bit based off the recent reviews and only got the Kickin' level (2/4) and while the flavor was good there was hardly any heat. She said the next levels up they start adding habanero so I'm sure that has to do with big jump up in heat. The weather was great Saturday afternoon and the patio was packed. They might want to consider changing up the way you order, as a short line is already to do the door, but that was really the only complaint. Excited to go back and try a new heat level.

Went yesterday and tried their fried chicken sandwich for the first time in the 2nd hottest (XXX) heat level.

I really like the sandwich because the bun tends to dissipate the heat a bit while still enjoying it. The slaw also cool things off a bit.

However, the chicken itself was overcooked and dry and not nearly as juicy as the chicken tenders I had always ordered before.

The heat was about right for me, which seems to be slightly lower than last time I was there.

I went on Saturday & I just think its awesome. Those strips are just so good I have hard time convincing myself to try anything else.

Has anybody had the !!! level? I got the XXX for the first time & it was borderline too hot.
    The cucumber/watermelon salad is just the perfect elixir for the heat though.

I also gotta admit though it still feels like they are a little discombobulated. When they brought out our food out they had the sides completely mixed up with the chicken orders. Nothing a little shuffling couldn't fix, but when you are playing with fire its kind of risky to get the sides mixed up. Imagine my wife, who is pretty timid with spicy food, taking a bite out of my XXX because her sides were on my chicken basket? It would have completely ruined her experience.

Their ordering process is way, way too slow.

First, people take forever to figure out what they want as everyone is fearful of getting something too hot. They stand in front of the register staring at the menu while everyone waits.

Then, because there are so many options, it's another lengthy process ask all the questions, get more blank stares, and enter it all in.

But we're not done because they flip around the screen to enter a tip, ask you to sign and encourage people to sign up with their email address for some sort of rewards program.

There was a group of 4 in front of me and I stood there, already knowing exactly what I wanted, tapping my toe for a very long time.

With something like this and with the spice levels and all the various options, it seems far better suited to table service.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Their ordering process is way, way too slow.

First, people take forever to figure out what they want as everyone is fearful of getting something too hot. They stand in front of the register staring at the menu while everyone waits.

Then, because there are so many options, it's another lengthy process ask all the questions, get more blank stares, and enter it all in.

But we're not done because they flip around the screen to enter a tip, ask you to sign and encourage people to sign up with their email address for some sort of rewards program.

There was a group of 4 in front of me and I stood there, already knowing exactly what I wanted, tapping my toe for a very long time.

With something like this and with the spice levels and all the various options, it seems far better suited to table service.
    To add to that, the one girl I saw working the register was also clearing dirty tables. I literally watched her greet people in line only to walk right past them so she could pick up a table that just left. It was cringe worthy.

Its seems like they are understaffed, so they have everybody doing a little bit of everything but its causes chaos. Though I think them being understaffed is almost due to necessity because of my next point...

The place is just too small. Having even more employees running around would take up even more space, even though they are needed. For your point to table service, it would make a already cramped space feel even more cramped with waiters/waitresses constantly shuffling around.

I will say, I tried the online ordering system the first time I went & it worked like a charm. I'm not sure its designed for you to eat in, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

^

Thanks for the reminder to just do on-line next time.

It is a very small space and that creates all types of restrictions.

One other thing... Their pickles are very bland.

Not really dill, not really sweet and not much flavor at all.

Missed opportunity because you get a bunch of them and they could be a much better complement to the spicy food. By comparison, I *loved* the pickles Jones Assembly serves with their Nashville Hot Chicken.

i went back to nashbird earlier this week... this was my first time since they've adjusted their spice levels. i enjoy spicy foods but don't consider myself the type of person who goes out of their way to find the spiciest dining choices... i order the same heat level (kickin) as my last visit, and DANG they've upped the spice level. i don't know if it was a fluke, but i could barely tolerate the spiciness. last time there was a hint of peppers but this time, the chicken was literally drenched in and sitting on a pool of hot pepper sauce.

other than that, i really liked what i ordered... this time around i tried the tenders and really liked them better than the white meat basket i had ordered previously. the breading was really crispy (maybe a touch too thick) and the chicken itself was moist and flavorful.

Had the XXX (2nd hottest level) crispy chicken sandwich again last night.

The heat level was definitely highest its been in my 3 trips after they pumped things up. Actually, a little too hot for even me, even with the buffer of a bun and slaw.

I really need to stick with the chicken tenders (which are now $2.50 each rather than a single price for 3) because both times I've had the sandwich the meat has been a bit skimpy and slightly overcooked.

I tried to use the on-line ordering system from my iphone but have several attempts and entering in all my info including credit card, it would not let me complete the order. I eventually gave up and just ordered when I got there and even though there was no one else in line, they wait was still about 20 minutes.

The employees there were incredibly friendly and helpful, as they have been in each of my visits.

13. Default Re: Nashbird

I got ordered the XXX sandwich today on my phone today and didn't have any issues, and the sandwich was ready when I got there.

I'll echo Pete's comments, heat was as high as it's been since I've been there. Still very manageable but the chicken itself was overcooked. Still really like the place.

Went today and had the XXX strips. Heat was great and the tenders were moist, and the salad was a great side to the heat.

We sat on the patio and had three trains pass right by the patio, and it made me wonder about how much these places are benefiting from not having the horns blast from 20 feet away anymore.

Tried them for the first time today, and eh.... I had the XXX tenders, cole slaw, fries, and wife had standard fried/no-spice tenders, onion rings, and cucumber/watermelon salad.

XXX wasn't anywhere close to too hot for me, had way hotter things at many other places, wasn't dripping in grease either, fairly dry, but the tenders themselves were good quality, cole slaw sucked (not enough vinegar or mayo, just standard Reasor's-type, and maybe a notch below that), fries were salted with huge flakes of salt, way too much IMO, but the fries themselves were good when I wiped all the salt off.

Wife wasn't impressed with her chicken (the tenders were also salted, strange!) or the honey-mustard or ranch (tasted straight out a Hidden Valley bottle) dipping sauces, and the cucumber/watermelon salad was OK (I would've preferred the cucumbers to be more substantial than paper-thin slices), but the onion rings were good (best part of the meal for her).

Decent enough so that when we work our way through the other 99 places on our list, we might go back.

^

One of their biggest challenges continues to be consistent levels of spiciness.

There have been times that I could barely take XXX and I have a very high tolerance.

17. Default Re: Nashbird

For me it just doesn’t compare to what I had at Prince’s.

One, the XXX at Prince’s is pure pain. Two I would eat Prince’s chicken, although not the XXX on a regular basis. It was excellent fried chicken. I find Nashbird’s chicken to be overbreaded.

^

One of their biggest challenges continues to be consistent levels of spiciness.

There have been times that I could barely take XXX and I have a very high tolerance.
    Hmmm, thought they had gotten that nailed down, oh well. And yeah, my tolerance is pretty high too, I just didn't want to chance the !!!! being too hot, guess I should've - sometimes, that *is* a bad thing, lol...

OKBBQEA - Thought the breading on the chicken was in proportion to the meat, tenders were very thick and round and the breading was maybe 1-2 millimeters thick (sorry, don't know the correct chicken breading unit of measurement).

Since the wife isn't a fan of hot things in general (I've corrupted her a bit, but she still likes her chicken with just chicken and breading), we probably won't be back, but it's nice to have it in OKC.

19. Default Re: Nashbird

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

OKBBQEA - Thought the breading on the chicken was in proportion to the meat, tenders were very thick and round and the breading was maybe 1-2 millimeters thick (sorry, don't know the correct chicken breading unit of measurement).
    I’ve not tried the tenders since I prefer bone-in fried chicken.

I’ve tried the hottest at Nashbird and it was nowhere near my tolerance level. Only made my nose run a little.

Opening a location In Edmond Summer of 2019.

On 5th and Littler

Oh nice! Is that going into the development on the NW corner of that?

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43339

From their FB page:

We have exciting news! NASHBIRD Edmond is Opening Next Tuesday at 10:30 for Take Out, Delivery and Patio Dining!

We are located at 17 E 5th Street Edmond, OK 73034. Our Hours will be Sun-Thu 10:30-9 and Fri & Sat 10:30-10!

From their FB page:
    Excellent location. I hope they do well.

One other thing... Their pickles are very bland.

Not really dill, not really sweet and not much flavor at all.

Missed opportunity because you get a bunch of them and they could be a much better complement to the spicy food. By comparison, I *loved* the pickles Jones Assembly serves with their Nashville Hot Chicken.
    I went there last night to try their fried pickles and you are right, they are bland, I will not be going back

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I went there last night to try their fried pickles and you are right, they are bland, I will not be going back
    Jeez, that's a bummer. Can't speak to fried pickles but how hard is it to make a tasty cold pickle with nice crunch?
    For any hardcore pickle fans, there used to be a walking tour of Jewish Heritage in NYC and it stopped for pickle tasting three times in the course of 3 hours. Get them straight out of brine bucket. Deliciousness

Thread Information