Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - June & July 2017

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - June & July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Ha, ha, it's been downgraded to 99.
    Weathermen misforcasted the high for today. It is not going to get close to 100.

2. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - June & July 2017

Mom & dads old house off of NW 36th and May has a basement. Put in around 1955 or 6. Dry as a bone. I thought of making it my bedroom in high school but I would have had to go right by their bedroom to get to it. Would have made it hard to come in at the hours I did. Shameless plug, it will be for sale sometime this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Mom & dads old house off of NW 36th and May has a basement. Put in around 1955 or 6. Dry as a bone. I thought of making it my bedroom in high school but I would have had to go right by their bedroom to get to it. Would have made it hard to come in at the hours I did. Shameless plug, it will be for sale sometime this fall.
    Interesting, it must be on one of the hills around there. The house we bought last year at 35th/Venice doesn't have one, and everybody kept telling us about the flooding that happened/happens in that area all the time and for decades past (Deep Fork Creek, I guess, before they made it into a concrete drainage ditch). I'm kind of surprised any houses have them in Venice, but it is kind of hilly, and some of the houses on Venice Blvd *are* kind of multi-level, so they might have some sort of basement too, once you get further south. The house should sell quickly, the ones that have been up for sale go within a month or so recently, we've seen.

4. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - June & July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Interesting, it must be on one of the hills around there. The house we bought last year at 35th/Venice doesn't have one, and everybody kept telling us about the flooding that happened/happens in that area all the time and for decades past (Deep Fork Creek, I guess, before they made it into a concrete drainage ditch). I'm kind of surprised any houses have them in Venice, but it is kind of hilly, and some of the houses on Venice Blvd *are* kind of multi-level, so they might have some sort of basement too, once you get further south. The house should sell quickly, the ones that have been up for sale go within a month or so recently, we've seen.
    You're about a block and a half away. M & D's house is on Miller between 36th and 37th. Not in a low spot but definitely not on a hill. And yes, when I was a kid in the 60s Deep Fork flooded a lot. Sometimes pretty badly.

Rain and storm chances increase for Friday afternoon as the tropical system comes up from the SE and is met with a falling boundary out of the NW. The best chances will be in S and SE OK, but C OK could still see development. More potential chances over the weekend, as we may have pop-up style showers and storms lingering behind.

Looking ahead to next week, temperatures will drop off noticeably below average and rain chances will begin creeping up as we head through the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Rain and storm chances increase for Friday afternoon as the tropical system comes up from the SE and is met with a falling boundary out of the NW. The best chances will be in S and SE OK, but C OK could still see development. More potential chances over the weekend, as we may have pop-up style showers and storms lingering behind.

Looking ahead to next week, temperatures will drop off noticeably below average and rain chances will begin creeping up as we head through the week.
    Awesome news!

7. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - June & July 2017

Ok. I think I must have gone to high school with a few of you.

Guys we need some rain.

Yes, we do. Localized parts of C OK haven't had meaningful rain in over a month.

30 day rainfall map:

Quite a bit of Oklahoma, possibly the majority of it, is running behind normal 30 day rain amounts.

Here comes those late week rain chances.

Chance of storms increases late tonight. Especially across N and NE OK. Should see waves/clusters of storms coming in from the NW and moving S/SE from Kansas. OKC is a longshot for these storms as they could be just off to the NE, or die out before reaching central parts of the state. Best bets are obviously the N metro.

Then Friday evening should be a better shot @ storms all along I-44 where explosive development is likely. Severe threat will be decent from central parts of the state and to the east and northeast.

SPC is already hashing out significant severe threat from just NE of OKC up towards Joplin, MO. Storms early on will have heavy rain and large hail threat. Tornado threat will exist with storms early on, but likely over-convection will dominate and the storms will form into large cluster(s) and move along their outflow boundaries. The early Friday morning storms from Thursday night will lay boundaries down that Friday's storms will interact with. It is possible to have a rogue supercell or two use one of these boundaries to become more significant.

After that, storm chances will continue throughout the weekend as a stalled boundary sits draped across the state of OK. We should see multiple waves of storms riding along the boundary (likely forming across the panhandles and moving S & E).

The weekend should not be a total washout, but pay attention to the radar as these waves form and come out of the west. Sunday morning, models try to move the boundary back to the north.

Damaging winds and heavy rainfall will be the main concerns with all clusters, especially if we get bow-echos forming.

Short-range models are firing storms along I-40 corridor tonight. Yes, this means OKC could actually miss out again on the storms if they fire just south of here. Still may get lucky with outflow boundary initiated storms, though.

We need every drop we can get right now.

After tonight's storms. Next shot will be early Sunday morning with boundary retreating back.

Storm chances continue heading into Independence day.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Short-range models are firing storms along I-40 corridor tonight. Yes, this means OKC could actually miss out again on the storms if they fire just south of here. Still may get lucky with outflow boundary initiated storms, though.

We need every drop we can get right now.

After tonight's storms. Next shot will be early Sunday morning with boundary retreating back.

Storm chances continue heading into Independence day.
    Should I abandon plans to smoke a brisket overnight on the 3rd?

The weather is so difficult to predict accurately, especially covering a small area, I wouldn't make plans to cancel anything. A few days before last Sunday chance of rain was 70%. When Sunday arrived chances had diminished to near zero.

15. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - June & July 2017

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Should I abandon plans to smoke a brisket overnight on the 3rd?
    No... You never abandon plans to smoke anything... I've cooked in a blizzard! LOL

Looks like the concern for damaging winds and strong hail has increased a fair bit in the last several hours.

NWS again warning for damaging winds and large hail tonight in west central and central Oklahoma which are under an enhanced risk currently. This includes the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    NWS again warning for damaging winds and large hail tonight in west central and central Oklahoma which are under an enhanced risk currently. This includes the metro.
    Not good news for someone planning to fire up the smoker at midnight..... #longnightahead

Indeed, I have many friends doing overnight smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Not good news for someone planning to fire up the smoker at midnight..... #longnightahead
    Looks like the storms could be close to gone in central Oklahoma by midnight judging from that graphic.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch (Includes Oklahoma City metro area)
    Issued: July 03 at 3:21PM CDT
    Expiring: July 03 at 11:00PM CDT Urgency: Expected
    Areas affected: Alfalfa; Beaver; Beckham; Blaine; Caddo; Canadian; Cleveland; Comanche; Custer; Dewey; Ellis; Garfield; Garvin; Grady; Grant; Greer; Harper; Kay; Kingfisher; Kiowa; Lincoln; Logan; Major; McClain; Noble; Oklahoma; Payne; Pottawatomie; Roger Mills; Stephens; Washi ta; Woods; Woodward.

Area Covered

Orange shade means severe thunderstorm warning.

I think I saw a tornado warning for Garfield county for like 6 minutes? But then I saw reports of 100mph winds.

How long is it going to take this blob to clear the OKC metro area?

Been out of town so missed most of the action.

But chance of one last round of storms tonight. Most likely areas are SW and S OK. But outflow boundaries will spark more to the north and south of initial development. These should take place late tonight (around midnight).

Full blown ridge of death this week. Possible breakdown of the ridge beginning of next week.

Thread Information